Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received a response yesterday from Dodge Cares (I now gotta laugh every time I see or write that). I filed complaint about the excessive miles on my new factory order - including significant spray up in the wheel wheels. INEXCUSABLE for a new factory order started on 28 MAY and completed on 10 JUNE.

I've been buying new cars since 1981; coupes, SUV, sedans, etc, etc. Mostly domestic - some imported. Never - never did I see an odometer with over 8 miles upon delivery. My 2018 SCAT PACK arrived with 2 (two) miles on the odometer. I told the dealer for this purchase - this is likely the last new purchase I will make for a "fun car". Please do not let anyone test drive this - do not let any customers test drive. Dealer agreed.

On delivery day it had 29 miles. I asked why. Dealer said, "I have no idea but we didn't do it".

So I replied - then between the factory and here - someone put on 29 miles?

Shoulder shrug.

I provided details to Dodge "Cares". I asked for a REASON -- Why would this vehicle need to have 29 miles put on it if it was a custom factory order that was produced so quickly? Please - justify these miles - or - are your security and transit controls so lax that a truck driver or contract lot employee could just take my vehicle for a ride? If so, you have a larger problem of liability issues and I doubt this is the first instance of you receiving a complaint like this. Please - just tell me who and why.

Here is what Dodge Cares (LOL) said:

"You can file a complaint in one hand and crap in the other. Wait to see which one fills up first". (Their reply was actually worse - "Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are always looking for ways to improve. Enjoy your new car!")

Lesson learned. Jim

·
Registered
516 Posts
Wow .... I agree with you that 29 miles seems excessive for an ordered vehicle. It's sad - but not surprising - that you got a "form" response from @DodgeCares . At the risk of being a "Todd," I think I'd try to have a conversation with someone a level or two up. Not sure what I'd really expect other than to be heard. Maybe throw me a bone with a free oil change or three.

I've only purchased two vehicles that were ordered -- a '05 Pontiac GTO and a '13 Charger R/T -- and both were delivered with less than 10 miles. And the GTO had to be transferred from the plant in Australia to a port holding area to a ship to a port holding area in California to a train to a car hauler and then to the dealer for prep. Even vehicles that I've purchased new off of the lot have all had less than 29 miles. (The exception being a '99 Pontiac Grand. Prix GTP that was returned after a weekend of driving when the first purchase attempt fell through when they couldn't secure financing. Even it only had 80+ miles on it.)

It would be curious to know what the top speed and top rpm was during it's 29 miles of travel.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow .... I agree with you that 29 miles seems excessive for an ordered vehicle. It's sad - but not surprising - that you got a "form" response from @DodgeCares . At the risk of being a "Todd," I think I'd try to have a conversation with someone a level or two up. Not sure what I'd really expect other than to be heard. Maybe throw me a bone with a free oil change or three.

I've only purchased two vehicles that were ordered -- a '05 Pontiac GTO and a '13 Charger R/T -- and both were delivered with less than 10 miles. And the GTO had to be transferred from the plant in Australia to a port holding area to a ship to a port holding area in California to a train to a car hauler and then to the dealer for prep. Even vehicles that I've purchased new off of the lot have all had less than 29 miles. (The exception being a '99 Pontiac Grand. Prix GTP that was returned after a weekend of driving when the first purchase attempt fell through when they couldn't secure financing. Even it only had 80+ miles on it.)

It would be curious to know what the top speed and top rpm was during it's 29 miles of travel.
Thanks -- and - THAT is exactly what concerns me - "It would be curious to know what the top speed and top rpm was during it's 29 miles of travel." Now, IF those 29 miles were "hell on wheels" - I'm hoping I'd have some indicators already of potential issues. But one thing I know for sure - if/when issues occur next week or months from now - no one at the dealer or Dodge will say "It's likely we are at fault due to how the vehicle was treated in those 29 miles" ((( L M A O )))

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I received a response yesterday from Dodge Cares (I now gotta laugh every time I see or write that). I filed complaint about the excessive miles on my new factory order - including significant spray up in the wheel wheels. INEXCUSABLE for a new factory order started on 28 MAY and completed on 10 JUNE.

I've been buying new cars since 1981; coupes, SUV, sedans, etc, etc. Mostly domestic - some imported. Never - never did I see an odometer with over 8 miles upon delivery. My 2018 SCAT PACK arrived with 2 (two) miles on the odometer. I told the dealer for this purchase - this is likely the last new purchase I will make for a "fun car". Please do not let anyone test drive this - do not let any customers test drive. Dealer agreed.

On delivery day it had 29 miles. I asked why. Dealer said, "I have no idea but we didn't do it".

So I replied - then between the factory and here - someone put on 29 miles?

Shoulder shrug.

I provided details to Dodge "Cares". I asked for a REASON -- Why would this vehicle need to have 29 miles put on it if it was a custom factory order that was produced so quickly? Please - justify these miles - or - are your security and transit controls so lax that a truck driver or contract lot employee could just take my vehicle for a ride? If so, you have a larger problem of liability issues and I doubt this is the first instance of you receiving a complaint like this. Please - just tell me who and why.

Here is what Dodge Cares (LOL) said:

"You can file a complaint in one hand and crap in the other. Wait to see which one fills up first". (Their reply was actually worse - "Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are always looking for ways to improve. Enjoy your new car!")

Lesson learned. Jim
The miles may not be just someone having fun with your vehicle. For a new vehicle once it reaches the factory storage lot to the time it reaches the dealer there is not much of on opportunity for taking a vehicle out for a joy ride. New vehicles can't just be driven out of a storage lot and on the road by an employee whenever he has the urge.

Likewise in transit a car can't be easily removed from the railroad car and taken for a spin. Or from a big rig truck car carrier.

With other brands of cars in some cases random vehicles as they come off the assembly line receive some usage -- on a near by road test course -- as part of quality control. This can add some miles to the car. Do not know if there is a handy road course near the Dodge factory. Just viewed the assembly plant site using google satellite view and see no test track anywhere close by.

It is possible that Dodge uses a standard surface road loop in absence of a dedicated test track. But this would subject new cars to rock chip damage or even an accident.

But what I do see is cars come out of the factory and are driven to either a lot to await loading on a rail car or to a lot awaiting loading on a car carrier. Access to surface roads appears to be through a guarded gate. IOWs, it is unlikely an employee could simply turn left instead of right and head for the gate and the outside world in a new car.

Have to offer the opinion based on my info -- and some experience -- and that is the best place for a new car to receive extra miles is at the dealer. Cars come and go at the dealer and no one really pays them any mind.

I had my 2006 GTO in for an transmission/diff fluid service and the tech had the car finished by lunch time. At lunch time he dropped the car to the ground and just drove it out of the bay and onto the street and took the car for a couple mile drive -- hot rodding it all the way (I had a trip/data logger which clocked speeds up of to 90+ mph). 'course, when I approached the service advisor about this he denied it took place. When I showed him the trip printout and the graph of speed and RPMs then he claimed the car was dyno'd. Then he changed his story and said the tech had to take the car for a test drive for the transmission service (manual transmission...).

So just because the dealer employee denied it happened at the dealer doesn't mean it didn't.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
My 2016 Factory ordered scat pack.... 3 miles. I'm told all the Assembly line cars get to the dealership this way.
-John

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that they drive the vehicles to the Upfitter locations from the Brampton plant to those specialty shop locations. Did you have any options that would have called for the car to be sent out somewhere for additional works such as special graphics or special painting of the hood or roof with black matte finishes? I actually saw photos of them driving the cars in a mini-caravan! Miles could add up that way I suppose...

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
If it was hauled by rail, sometimes we have to transload railcars that are damaged or do not comply with federal regulations. In this case we have a contractor come in and move the vehicles out of the railcar and placed into another one. The chance this occurred is slim to none but it does happen.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I remember reading somewhere that they drive the vehicles to the Upfitter locations from the Brampton plant to those specialty shop locations. Did you have any options that would have called for the car to be sent out somewhere for additional works such as special graphics or special painting of the hood or roof with black matte finishes? I actually saw photos of them driving the cars in a mini-caravan! Miles could add up that way I suppose...
I added the SHAKER package and the BUMBLE BEE STRIPE Over the trunk. Jim

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Don’t check the top speed saved in your Performance Pages...you’ll be pissed :) Speaking of checking things, tire pressures are usually too high from the factory (around 45 to 50) to eliminate flat spotting. You may need to lower them closer to 34 lbs.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it was hauled by rail, sometimes we have to transload railcars that are damaged or do not comply with federal regulations. In this case we have a contractor come in and move the vehicles out of the railcar and placed into another one. The chance this occurred is slim to none but it does happen.
Thank you for the insight. Jim

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don’t check the top speed saved in your Performance Pages...you’ll be pissed :) Speaking of checking things, tire pressures are usually too high from the factory to eliminate flat spotting. You may need to lower them closer to 34 lbs.
It looked like the Pages were zeroed out. But I'm no pro on that program yet. // TP for sure - they are at 51. I'll be bringing down to 40 this weekend and doing some light cruising. You use 35 on the 245's?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Don’t check the top speed saved in your Performance Pages...you’ll be pissed :) Speaking of checking things, tire pressures are usually too high from the factory (around 45 to 50) to eliminate flat spotting. You may need to lower them closer to 34 lbs.
And in the case of both new Dodges I received the splitter protectors will be left on by the dealer.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It looked like the Pages were zeroed out. But I'm no pro on that program yet. // TP for sure - they are at 51. I'll be bringing down to 40 this weekend and doing some light cruising. You use 35 on the 245's?
Unless things have changed 40psi is a bit too high a pressure and this can result in the tire wearing faster in the center and compromised traction.

There should be a tag on the door jam or inside the glove box lid or inside the fuel cap lid (so many cars and each manufacturer has its own favorite place for this) that gives the recommended tire inflation pressure.

For both my 2018 Scat Pack and my 2018 Hellcat this is 32psi. BTW, after some driving -- nothing horrific just normal usage -- the inflation pressure climbs to 36psi.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unless things have changed 40psi is a bit too high a pressure and this can result in the tire wearing faster in the center and compromised traction.

There should be a tag on the door jam or inside the glove box lid or inside the fuel cap lid (so many cars and each manufacturer has its own favorite place for this) that gives the recommended tire inflation pressure.

For both my 2018 Scat Pack and my 2018 Hellcat this is 32psi. BTW, after some driving -- nothing horrific just normal usage -- the inflation pressure climbs to 36psi.
Yup. Copy all. I just usually play with the TP a bit before I settle in. Agreed that a lot of engineering went into those recomended pressures. Jim

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I keep mine (285 front, 305 rear) around 32-34 for street. Once they heat up a little from driving, growing to 36 is not uncommon.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
26,871 Posts
Thanks for the heads up about this. When I order my next one, it is the first thing I will look at. AND if there are that many miles on it, they can keep it! I will also point this out to my salesperson before I buy it, so he is aware that there better not be any excess miles on the car.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
26,871 Posts
If you ever watched the movie "Used Cars" the first scene has Kirt Russell turning back the odometer in a car! That is one good thing about the new cars, at least they haven't figured out how to tamper with that.............

1 - 20 of 55 Posts