Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks -- and - THAT is exactly what concerns me - "It would be curious to know what the top speed and top rpm was during it's 29 miles of travel." Now, IF those 29 miles were "hell on wheels" - I'm hoping I'd have some indicators already of potential issues. But one thing I know for sure - if/when issues occur next week or months from now - no one at the dealer or Dodge will say "It's likely we are at fault due to how the vehicle was treated in those 29 miles" ((( L M A O )))
Exactly. You can BANK that the dealer or Dodge will never take any blame.

BTW .... I would definitely still have bought the car - as you did. But I don't blame you at all for being annoyed.

" ...... I had my 2006 GTO in for an transmission/diff fluid service and the tech had the car finished by lunch time. At lunch time he dropped the car to the ground and just drove it out of the bay and onto the street and took the car for a couple mile drive -- hot rodding it all the way (I had a trip/data logger which clocked speeds up of to 90+ mph). 'course, when I approached the service advisor about this he denied it took place. When I showed him the trip printout and the graph of speed and RPMs then he claimed the car was dyno'd. Then he changed his story and said the tech had to take the car for a test drive for the transmission service (manual transmission...).

So just because the dealer employee denied it happened at the dealer doesn't mean it didn't.
I've had a handful of bad experiences with dealer service departments driving my vehicles without permission:
Pontiac Dealer - I had a '93 Grand Prix Special Edition that was in for a warranty replacement of the alternator. I dropped it off early and was told it would be ready by lunch. When I called at lunch time I was told it wouldn't be ready till the end of the day so I caught a ride to lunch with a co-worker. Imagine my surprise when I saw my car parked at the bank next door to the restaurant. Green car with gold cross-lace mags and gold "Special Edition" graphics was hard to miss. The phone line went dead silent when I asked the service manager why my car was at the bank if it wasn't ready.​
Ford Dealer - I had a '90 Thunderbird Super Coupe that was in for the servo for the road-leveling system to be changed under warranty. When I returned at the end of the day, the service advisor sent me to the cashier to wait for the porter to bring my car around. Then the wait began. They couldn't find my car. Turned out a mechanic/technician took my car on a "test drive." He then decided to go home --- and drink --- in a town 25 miles away. So ... I had to wait for them to send two people to retrieve my car because the guy was too drunk to drive it back.​
Ever since those experiences, I log the mileage and either wait for the car or reach an agreement with the service manager about how many miles will be necessary if a test drive is necessary.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the heads up about this. When I order my next one, it is the first thing I will look at. AND if there are that many miles on it, they can keep it! I will also point this out to my salesperson before I buy it, so he is aware that there better not be any excess miles on the car.
BTW Betty - When the dealer called me on purchase day to inform me of the mileage - it got heated. I made sure not to cuss etc but I was emphatic. Manager offered - "We will cancel this and order you another but there is no guarantee that one will not show up with miles too". FWIW - I propose the Admins on here start a pinned thread for new purchases to record mileage upon delivery. Is it all malicious miles? No. But as we say in the LE investigations world - don't be so quick to attribute to malice that which is more likely explained by stupidity. I smell lax security and transit controls. Jim

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
had bought an e55 amg new it was a gift to myself when I opened my new club in n.y. probably around 05-06. took the car in for service. car was delivered to me with an additional 28 miles on the odometer. when I asked about it, they didn't know what I was taking about. but, I found clothes in the trunk from the cleaners, a bag of groceries and a pretty box wrapped up with bows and ribbons. looked like it was from a jewelers. anyway. three hours later, the service manager calls and asks if the car was ok and if they could come by and see if they had left any "tools" in the car. when I inquired as to what tools they were looking for, he was evasive. told him I would come by the dealership. when I got there, I asked for the gm and between the three of us, I opened the trunk and showed them my bounty. the gm looks at the service manager and walks away. service manager looks at me and says, the gm took the car for a drive to do his errands and to pick up something for the wife for something he did. I still kept the stuff since the gm wasn't man enough to get it and admit it. I kept it for a week before dropping it off on the sidewalk in front of his dealership. man up buddy!

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
I added the SHAKER package and the BUMBLE BEE STRIPE Over the trunk. Jim
Your car went to the upfitters then. I've heard that Widebodies go to Argus in Michigan and all others go to Ground Effects in either Windsor or Bolton. Again, I read the special paint and graphics are farmed out to private contractors in locations off-site, although at one point they tried doing vinyl graphics in Bramptons plant last year.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Your car went to the upfitters then. I've heard that Widebodies go to Argus in Michigan and all others go to Ground Effects in either Windsor or Bolton. Again, I read the special paint and graphics are farmed out to private contractors in locations off-site, although at one point they tried doing vinyl graphics in Bramptons plant last year.
BRAMPTON PLANT TO GROUND EFFECTS WINDSOR = 214 MILES
BRAMPTON PLANT TO BOLTON CANADA = 10.1 MILES (40 Nixon Rd, Bolton, ON L7E 1W2)
If this works out to be the best explanation - 20 miles - why wouldn't Dodge or the Dealer know/admit this?
Jim

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,430 Posts
Here is what Dodge Cares (LOL) said:

"You can file a complaint in one hand and crap in the other. Wait to see which one fills up first". (Their reply was actually worse - "Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are always looking for ways to improve. Enjoy your new car!")
Dodge Cares? Sounds like Dodge has some big...

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
If you ever watched the movie "Used Cars" the first scene has Kirt Russell turning back the odometer in a car! That is one good thing about the new cars, at least they haven't figured out how to tamper with that.............
I've heard it has been done with the newer cars. When there's a will there's a way! Thieves and grifters are very resourceful.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
My new Hellcat had 7 miles on it when I made the deal and 19 miles on it when I picked it up. Nothing you can do about it and I doubt if it hurt it. These high performance cars are built right. Jim, let’s see some photos of your new car!
THANKS JOHN ! I've posted in the OFFICIAL GO MANGO THREAD !! Jim

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
BRAMPTON PLANT TO GROUND EFFECTS WINDSOR = 214 MILES
BRAMPTON PLANT TO BOLTON CANADA = 10.1 MILES (40 Nixon Rd, Bolton, ON L7E 1W2)
If this works out to be the best explanation - 20 miles - why wouldn't Dodge or the Dealer know/admit this?
Jim
The Windsor trip would probably go via car transporter due to the distance. The Bolton location sounds like where yours went and it was likely driven I'd assume. I've heard of salt deposit complaints from owners on new cars as they came off the transports, so that's a clue that they were built in the colder months up in Canada and driven at the railyards or took a trip with a driver to the upfitters. Here's where I found this info on locations. The dealers and Dodge Care's are probably clueless to any of the specifics with our cars as they are being built. About all you can usually get is build status codes and (if you're lucky and it's shipped) current locations.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
The person I'd want to talk to is the owner of the dealershp. There is no way a new car should have that many miles on it. I know my Shaker didn't, and it has a graphics package. BTW, check the 0 to 60 and the top speed of your vehicle in the EVIC. The top speed should never be 0, and the dealership has the means to reset them...

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
26,871 Posts
BTW Betty - When the dealer called me on purchase day to inform me of the mileage - it got heated. I made sure not to cuss etc but I was emphatic. Manager offered - "We will cancel this and order you another but there is no guarantee that one will not show up with miles too". FWIW - I propose the Admins on here start a pinned thread for new purchases to record mileage upon delivery. Is it all malicious miles? No. But as we say in the LE investigations world - don't be so quick to attribute to malice that which is more likely explained by stupidity. I smell lax security and transit controls. Jim
When the manager offered to cancel and order another one.......I would have said yes. I must be getting old and cranky..

·
Trigger657
1,468 Posts
Wow .... I agree with you that 29 miles seems excessive for an ordered vehicle. It's sad - but not surprising - that you got a "form" response from @DodgeCares . At the risk of being a "Todd," I think I'd try to have a conversation with someone a level or two up. Not sure what I'd really expect other than to be heard. Maybe throw me a bone with a free oil change or three.

I've only purchased two vehicles that were ordered -- a '05 Pontiac GTO and a '13 Charger R/T -- and both were delivered with less than 10 miles. And the GTO had to be transferred from the plant in Australia to a port holding area to a ship to a port holding area in California to a train to a car hauler and then to the dealer for prep. Even vehicles that I've purchased new off of the lot have all had less than 29 miles. (The exception being a '99 Pontiac Grand. Prix GTP that was returned after a weekend of driving when the first purchase attempt fell through when they couldn't secure financing. Even it only had 80+ miles on it.)

It would be curious to know what the top speed and top rpm was during it's 29 miles of travel.
You know that's a good idea. Could the 'Black Box' Tell Him what date it was actually Driven? Find out if the Dealership is Lying. I hate liars.

·
Trigger657
1,468 Posts
had bought an e55 amg new it was a gift to myself when I opened my new club in n.y. probably around 05-06. took the car in for service. car was delivered to me with an additional 28 miles on the odometer. when I asked about it, they didn't know what I was taking about. but, I found clothes in the trunk from the cleaners, a bag of groceries and a pretty box wrapped up with bows and ribbons. looked like it was from a jewelers. anyway. three hours later, the service manager calls and asks if the car was ok and if they could come by and see if they had left any "tools" in the car. when I inquired as to what tools they were looking for, he was evasive. told him I would come by the dealership. when I got there, I asked for the gm and between the three of us, I opened the trunk and showed them my bounty. the gm looks at the service manager and walks away. service manager looks at me and says, the gm took the car for a drive to do his errands and to pick up something for the wife for something he did. I still kept the stuff since the gm wasn't man enough to get it and admit it. I kept it for a week before dropping it off on the sidewalk in front of his dealership. man up buddy!
What a Maroooon. No B----ls...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I seem to recall a similar thread but from years ago, i couldn't find it though so not sure what resolution was. for an ordered car i guess i would expect 5 miles, 10 tops but not sure what is average. when i bought mine off the dealer lot, not ordered it had 31 miles on it and i think i put 10 on the test drive.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I received a response yesterday from Dodge Cares (I now gotta laugh every time I see or write that). I filed complaint about the excessive miles on my new factory order - including significant spray up in the wheel wheels. INEXCUSABLE for a new factory order started on 28 MAY and completed on 10 JUNE.

I've been buying new cars since 1981; coupes, SUV, sedans, etc, etc. Mostly domestic - some imported. Never - never did I see an odometer with over 8 miles upon delivery. My 2018 SCAT PACK arrived with 2 (two) miles on the odometer. I told the dealer for this purchase - this is likely the last new purchase I will make for a "fun car". Please do not let anyone test drive this - do not let any customers test drive. Dealer agreed.

On delivery day it had 29 miles. I asked why. Dealer said, "I have no idea but we didn't do it".

So I replied - then between the factory and here - someone put on 29 miles?

Shoulder shrug.

I provided details to Dodge "Cares". I asked for a REASON -- Why would this vehicle need to have 29 miles put on it if it was a custom factory order that was produced so quickly? Please - justify these miles - or - are your security and transit controls so lax that a truck driver or contract lot employee could just take my vehicle for a ride? If so, you have a larger problem of liability issues and I doubt this is the first instance of you receiving a complaint like this. Please - just tell me who and why.

Here is what Dodge Cares (LOL) said:

"You can file a complaint in one hand and crap in the other. Wait to see which one fills up first". (Their reply was actually worse - "Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are always looking for ways to improve. Enjoy your new car!")

Lesson learned. Jim
Knowing you paid full price +, you should have demanded $100.00 per mile to make things right.
$2,900.00 would make me a bit happier.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts