Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see if I can get some advice. I'm new here to challenger forums and been having an over heating issue. A couple of days ago I noticed that my challenger on idle started to creep on temperature. It had never gotten passed 200 degrees and now I'm seeing temperatures at 230 degrees. I think it's either the thermostat or the radiator. Any advise?!?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Did you get anything done recently? If so, did they open up the radiator for any reason? I would think that if a thermostat was bad, wouldn't it stay in the open position?

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,571 Posts
Welcome from AZ. first check coolant level, next make sure the fans are running.Then I would check to see if the water pump is making noise.

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
Did you get anything done recently? If so, did they open up the radiator for any reason? I would think that if a thermostat was bad, wouldn't it stay in the open position?
Yes, recent work under the hood may be a clue. BTW, a bad thermostat can fail in the closed position as well as open and just work intermittently. Be sure to check your coolant level as well. Just low coolant by itself would account for the extra heat.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a thermostat fail in a strange manor and it "worked intermittently." The retaining meta at the back of the thermostat (the section that is in the water pump) failed and let the "washer" at that end float free. Eventually it blocked the path so only a trickle passed through. If you see it creeping fast, turn the heat on full and get to the side of the road fast. The heat on will help dissipate some of the excess engine heat and give you a few extra minutes.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,461 Posts
As stated above, low coolant would be a cause for overheating as well as a fail closed thermostat. Make sure to use the proper coolant. Being a 2010, yours takes the HOAT or Zerex G05 antifreeze. Don't use anything else because mixing it with another formula can cause a chemical gelling. Also check for collapsed hoses.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,571 Posts
Also the coolant lifespan is 5 years your are getting close to time to renew.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts