Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Purchased a 2014 Challenger R/T 5.7 Hemi. It only has 385 miles on it. After sitting for a few days it blows blue smoke out of the exhaust on start up. It last about 10 to 15 seconds. I also noticed a build up of black carbon deposits on the rear Quarter panels of the car. I took it to the dealer and they said its part of the break-in. That's bull. Has anyone heard or have had a similar experience?

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,476 Posts
I Purchased a 2014 Challenger R/T 5.7 Hemi. It only has 385 miles on it. After sitting for a few days it blows blue smoke out of the exhaust on start up. It last about 10 to 15 seconds. I also noticed a build up of black carbon deposits on the rear Quarter panels of the car. I took it to the dealer and they said its part of the break-in. That's bull. Has anyone heard or have had a similar experience?
Haven't heard of the proble, but it's not normal. I would go to another dealer and if that doesn't work, ask for the regional manager to take a look at it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Not normal at all and he is full of crap. I had an Acura do that. Mines ended up being the piston rings. Take it to another dealership to have them look at it. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Not normal at all.

Break-in comment is crap. :poopstorm:

Time to raise a ruckus!:greenchainsaw:
:duel::bud:

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
"normal" if i had a dollar every time... :shakehead: if that were the case, dealerships would constantly have a blue mushroom cloud of smoke lingering overhead from all the factory fresh new car engines that were running... as others have said, a second opinion is definitely in order... good luck!

Reactions: Latenite1

·
12,989 Posts
I would find another dealer.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
My car has never done that and still doesn't with 45,000 miles on it. I'd get another opinion and raise some hell if necessary.

Usually blue smoke on start up means bad valve guides or seals. Oil is leaking down the guides or past the seals and collecting in the cylinders when you shut it down. Then when you start it up the next day it burns it up and then it clears up.

When your piston rings are bad it will typically blow blue smoke out the pipes at full throttle, but generally won't do it at start up.

Maybe the wrong type of oil was installed last? Wrong grade, cheap brand, etc?

I tried running Valvoline VR1 oil in my Nova last year and when I started it up it smoked pretty bad. Never had issues before. Drove it a while and got tired of the smoking. Changed it out and put some Castrol GTX back in it like I had been running for years, no more smoking. Same 20w50 weight too in each oil, but the Castrol didn't smoke.

I'd get it checked out though and see if the valve guides or seals are worn for some reason. Hard to believe they're messed up with only 385 miles, that's usually something older high mileage cars do.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My 2014 Redline r/t did that yesterday so I stopped at the dealer and the service rep asked me if I parked uphill and said there is some sort of update they can do, I don't park uphill but I am having it checked out friday, by the way I have 700 miles on mine :4-dontknow:

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
As all above had said this is definitely not normal. Break in is the dumbest response I've heard from anyone. They don't want the work apparently.
Bad valve seats and/or valve guides are the culprit. You are sure it is oil smoke I take it.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Have you noticed your oil level getting low in between oil changes? My guess is probably not since it's just doing it on startup and not while driving, but wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on that for now.

You also mentioned black carbon deposits around your tailpipes. That could be from the car running a little rich.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 09 would blow blue smoke after being parked on a steep incline. Never really seemed to be a major issue.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
Freddy,

Did you buy the car new off the dealership lot. The 400 miles, test miles or is it a 2nd owner car ? Provide some more information.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine's always blown smoke since new. Uses 1-1.5 qts each 1000 miles. Taken it back to the dealer 30-40 times since 2010. They finally acknowledge a problem this year but have zero clue what it is.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I love the that's normal response. My reply is great, let's go start some new ones up on the lot so I can see that they all do that since it is normal. When they don't, I say so which car is not right, because clearly one of these is abnormal.

As mentioned above, take it to a different dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts