Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Challenger Old Guy...
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Interesting but disturbing trend on the rise.
Out of the Top Ten, our Dodge Challengers now come in at #10.

10 Cars That are Most Likely to Get Stolen

Since there is now a huge demand for aftermarket parts, our
Challengers have considerable value in "parts" as opposed to
being sold as a "drivable vehicle".

Chop shops are paying top dollar for Challengers as they can
very quickly part one out and make a lot of money.

So, the question is here -how are they doing this. Well, they
are not using anything sophisticated or technologically advanced
but simple "hydraulics".

What if I told you that you can steal a Challenger and be
"gone in 30 seconds" and never leave the comfort of your
vehicle to do so? Well, look closely at this video below and
you will understand how easily this is now being done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-sGPxF_XkY

Note, that the vehicle is a FRONT WHEEL drive car, and that
the driver slowly drags it out so he can pull around to the front
and snatch it up and he is gone in about 1 minute.

Now think here, if he did not have to do this but simply pull
up to the back of the vehicle (like a rear wheel drive) he can
snatch the car up and be gone in less than 30 seconds and
never leave the cab of the truck....

At night, this activity would be almost impossible to detect or
the driver be in the area long enough to attract suspicion.

So in short, especially in high population areas, watch for "roaming" tow trucks....

:3-smoke:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Thanks for posting, it is a disturbing trend, no doubt. I always back my car into spots and set the brake to make it harder to steal one like this, thats about all you can do to try to avoid this type of theft.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Either this spring or summer I am going to install a GPS tracking device that I have been researching. It's hardwired to a always hot line and then attached under the dash, engine compartment or somewhere else tucked out of sight. If your car is stolen you can go on-line and activate the device for a small fee and it will give you live one minute updates as to the vehicle's location within about six feet. It lays the location over the Google Earth maps for a visual picture. You can access it through various smartphone apps, laptop with WI-FI, or tablet computers. They cost about $150-$250 for the unit and somewhere around $15-$25 to activate for a period of 30 days with the option to extend that if necessary.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,087 Posts
Is there some kind of alarm that can be activated if the car is moved without the doors being unlocked or opened????

·
Registered
221 Posts
Either this spring or summer I am going to install a GPS tracking device that I have been researching. It's hardwired to a always hot line and then attached under the dash, engine compartment or somewhere else tucked out of sight. If your car is stolen you can go on-line and activate the device for a small fee and it will give you live one minute updates as to the vehicle's location within about six feet. It lays the location over the Google Earth maps for a visual picture. You can access it through various smartphone apps, laptop with WI-FI, or tablet computers. They cost about $150-$250 for the unit and somewhere around $15-$25 to activate for a period of 30 days with the option to extend that if necessary.
I need more info on this This sounds cool. Do you have the make of this thing

·
Registered
917 Posts
Well... as far as tow trucks being able to take any car they want this has always been the case though hasn't it? Quite honestly if they were smart they would take Accords, Civics and Camrys before our car.... those parts can be sold much quicker because there is more demand for the parts due to the fact that there are millions on the road... I think the reason the Challenger is on the list is because there are so few on the road so when a good number of them are stolen that makes the percentage stolen go up quicker than a vehicle that sells 300,000 per year.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,879 Posts
Setting the parking brake and turning the front wheels to the right or left all the way may slow them down a bit, wouldn't you think? It may force them to enter the vehicle which would slow them down. ???

:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Sorry guys, but this type of theft is almost as old as I am... When I was a teenager growing up in Los Angeles; the worst thing that could happen to you was a Car-Jacking. I've seen plenty of those (believe it or not) But, then folks found it easier to hook your car up to a Tow Truck. The bad guys found the MOST OPPORTUNE TIME was during major events, Concerts, Ball Games, and they'd monitor where the Valet's would park cars that weren't in parking lots (but in the local "GOOD" neighborhoods)...

The car alarms would be going off like crazy, and no one would be interested because car alarms are always going off.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
My very first car was stolen right out of my driveway while I slept in my bed 12 feet away....I only had it under 2weeks. My second car (which I equipped with the top-of-the-line alarm system with motion sensors) was also stolen. It is the worst feeling in the world. I just won't leave my Challenger unattended anywhere, anytime....no matter what.

·
Registered
917 Posts
My very first car was stolen right out of my driveway while I slept in my bed 12 feet away....I only had it under 2weeks. My second car (which I equipped with the top-of-the-line alarm system with motion sensors) was also stolen. It is the worst feeling in the world. I just won't leave my Challenger unattended anywhere, anytime....no matter what.
So... you never drive it to a store, a restaurant, work, at all?

I guess my mindset is that I bought the car to drive and enjoy... anything can happen to anyone anywhere. I don't take my Challenger into the downtown metro area, to Walmart or any other store in a bad part of town. Other than that I drive it when I want and try not to worry about it. i bought the car to enjoy and for a stress reliever... I didn't buy the car to cause more stress about what could happen to it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think I will continue to stress over the scratches and door dings.If someone steals mine I just hope they total it and I'll go order a new one. I can't worry about everything that can possibly go wrong,if I do I think I won't be able to enjoy the car at all. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Well, I guess I am different than anyone else on this forum. I/we drive our car every day, everywhere we go, period. I refuse to be paranoid over a car. I bought the thing, wanted a brand new car my whole life, not about to leave it sit in a garage just because I am afraid some damn scum bag punk is going to take it on me or scratch it. That's what the insurance is for.

For the past 20+ years I drove our classic Pontiacs EVERYWHERE we went. Once we moved to FL our 68 Firebird 400/4-speed became my daily driver and went EVERYWHERE I went, that included Walmart, Lowes, Dr., etc. etc. etc. We drove that car every single day for the past 7 years. Yes, it ended up getting rear ended and totaled. You know what, that's the chance you take and Hagerty took care of everything just like they claim they will in the event of a loss. The rest was a long 4 year story and ultimately lead to where we are today, but, hey if you are paranoid to drive your car then what the heck good is having one? I refuse to give into the scum of the world. If they steal it, then off to the dealerships to search for a new one...

I will say one thing, in all those years of driving our 68 Firebird, 67 LeMans (now in a museum in TX), 68 RS/SS Camaro as daily drivers I can honestly say I NEVER once got a door ding or a scratch from another driver amazingly! Incredibly, I also never went ultra crazy out of my way by parking WAY WAY out etc. in parking lots, I just always looked for prime end spots, spots next to handicap spots etc. I guess I have been major lucky all these years (knock on wood)...

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I think I will continue to stress over the scratches and door dings.If someone steals mine I just hope they total it and I'll go order a new one. I can't worry about everything that can possibly go wrong,if I do I think I won't be able to enjoy the car at all. Just my thoughts.
LOL I was typing my response then I seen yours. We think alike!

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
So... you never drive it to a store, a restaurant, work, at all?

I guess my mindset is that I bought the car to drive and enjoy... anything can happen to anyone anywhere. I don't take my Challenger into the downtown metro area, to Walmart or any other store in a bad part of town. Other than that I drive it when I want and try not to worry about it. i bought the car to enjoy and for a stress reliever... I didn't buy the car to cause more stress about what could happen to it.
Nope....If I drive it to a restaurant, store or anywhere....I make sure I can see it at all times. Not just worried about theft, but also vandalism. I have three other cars to take out and leave unattended....my Challenger is not one of them.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Wow, I couldn't live in a state of fear or paranoia, I would move if it was the area I lived in that was the source of the fear. I have lived in some rough areas but I say screw it. I remember a few times leaving my 68 RamAir III Firebird in some rough places in downtown Philly (this was only 8 years ago and downtown Orlando only 4 years ago) and wondering if it would be there after a business meeting. I just made sure I had my phone and the paperwork for the car with me so if it was gone I at least had the info to offer he Police when the came. I didn't even look the doors because it had the ultra rare "Bird" glass (first gen firebird in the the driver & passenger door glass) and I didn't want someone to break it looking for things inside the car! LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.