Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dodge Challengers Returning to NASCAR
Good news for all those who missed not seeing any Dodges on the track last year. It’s being reported that four (4) independent teams have entered the upcoming “Drive 4 COPD 300 Race” as Dodge teams running ex-Penske built Dodge Challengers. The Cars are listed as 2014 Dodge Challengers and will have independent sponsorship. The teams include:

# 28 Mike Wallace
# 67 Clay Greenfield
# 76 Willie Allen
# 80 Johnny Sauer

With other drivers mentioned included Tommy Joe Martins, Mike Harmon, Matt Carter, Matt Debenedetto, and Tanner Berryhill. (All unconfirmed)

Penske rolled out 4 Challengers this week. However there was no mention as to who built the others. Clay Greenfield Twittered pictures of his 2014 Dodge Challenger. And, Martins Motorsports (not Mark Martin) released a statement that it is running two Challengers in all 33 races this year.

It appears likely that all these Dodges are independent and it is doubtful that any of the teams have official Dodge factory backing. One racing official was quoted as saying: “As far as I understand, this is the last year that (the Challenger) body style will be legal, and looking at the teams, I’m not sure this is anything more than a buying up of old cars. The Challenger is a great superspeedway car, and big races like Daytona sound good to sponsors, so smaller teams would have an easier time getting sponsorship, and being able to find a good car for these tracks for cheap is a big plus.” (*Remember that the Challenger ran the Nationwide Series, not Sprint Cup).

The fact that Dodges are running after a year of absence is a story in itself, as Dodge left NASCAR after winning their first 21st-century championship, citing the extremely high costs of maintaining a credible presence in the venue. No Dodges are entered in the Sprint Cup Series, so I wouldn’t get your hopes up about Dodge planning a full-bore return to NASCAR Sprint Cup racing. However, Dodge does have a major and winning presence in the NASCAR Canadian Tire series, winning last year’s championship in that series.

Perhaps we Dodge fans will have something to cheer for after all! And, who knows….maybe, just maybe 2015 will see the return of Dodge (SRT) to the Sprint Cup)…well a person can hope anyway…

·
Premium Member
24,717 Posts
Will be good to see them back and would like to see Chrysler/Dodge doing the sponsorships.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
58,910 Posts
It will good to see them but not being any major teams chances are slim that there will be any wins.

·
Here Comes Trouble!
1,631 Posts
Even for independents, that's a significant investment for a one year run. I wish Dodge would get back into NASCAR.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would like to see Dodge back in NA$CAR, but I think Mr. Gilles is smart enough to know what it takes to do it, and he also knows that NA$CAR is on the decline. It really depends, now, on what Fiat wants to do. I don't know if the CEO is all that keen on NA$CAR.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.