Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a 6.4 make for a good project car? Im just curious about doing all the labor yourself when it comes to a supercharger, a cam, and a forged bottom end. Is it worth it to do it yourself or is it better to acquire a different vehicle as a project car?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
754 Posts
seems most come to mickey's conclusion once they dig into factors such as cost and reliability. If you're determined to have a project then go for it but you could just have a Hellcat AND a warranty to go with it if you bought one new enough.
And a car payment... My 2015 R/T I bought new is paid off and out of warranty. Although I would not go 6.4L, I would love to have a BGE forged 426 Hemi with about 15 lbs of boost.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Widebody
43 Posts
And a car payment... My 2015 R/T I bought new is paid off and out of warranty. Although I would not go 6.4L, I would love to have a BGE forged 426 Hemi with about 15 lbs of boost.
Totally fair depending on OPs buying situation. And it does sound like he wants a project type car. I mostly wanted to point out that cost/factor could work in favor of a HC. any extra savings might go to tires or other mods.

You better be keeping this forum up to date with photos if you kick off that 426 project, sounds pretty awesome!💪

·
Registered
754 Posts
You better be keeping this forum up to date with photos if you kick off that 426 project, sounds pretty awesome!💪
That's a pipe dream. I really want to focus on getting out of debt, getting a new fence and front porch on the house. I did, however, work a Whipple Stage 2 into the budget for this year's mods. :D
Besides I do mods the old fashion way, drop the car off at OST Dyno with a pile of cash and pick it up a couple weeks later and leave another pile of cash. :D

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Widebody
43 Posts
That's a pipe dream. I really want to focus on getting out of debt, getting a new fence and front porch on the house. I did, however, work a Whipple Stage 2 into the budget for this year's mods. :D
Besides I do mods the old fashion way, drop the car off at OST Dyno with a pile of cash and pick it up a couple weeks later and leave another pile of cash. :D
hahaha I hear you on both accounts. we have been pouring money into our house also AND I know to let the professionals do certain things!

·
Registered
754 Posts
hahaha I hear you on both accounts. we have been pouring money into our house also AND I know to let the professionals do certain things!
It's a time thing, if I work on something in the evenings and on weekends, I miss out doing stuff with the wife (she is afterall encouraging my hobbies) and, it takes all of the winter months and since I hate the cold, half of the spring. My way, I pay for the parts a head of time, in the fall. I schedule my car to be dropped off first week of May and in less than a month I have it back finished. Biggest part is, I don't know how many extra nuts and bolts they had when they were done so I don't worry about where they were supposed to go, and I did not have to go buy a few new 10mm sockets because I lost all of mine.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
This has been discussed often. Consensus: 392 is not a good motor to supercharge.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The answer to your question is no, it would not. It was designed to handle the load it now produces, not what you're proposing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My Procharged 426 stroker project gets me starting at 800 wheel. Worth the upgrade to me.
I'd venture to say that you might have more power than a stock Hellcat, you've probably got the same or more money into yours as a used Hellcat is now. The bonus of the Hellcat is that it doesn't cost a ton of money to get to the power level that you're currently at.

Just a guess though.

As far as the OP, as others have said, there are better cars out there if you plan to mod them. If you already have a Challenger, then I'd recommend that you install the drop-in kit (pistons and rod/rings) and then put the blower on. Update your fuel system and some drivetrain pieces (especially if you run drag radials) and you're set. If you want a good budget blower cam, the Hellcat one works pretty well if you don't want a custom grind (and it's cheaper too).

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I'd venture to say that you might have more power than a stock Hellcat, you've probably got the same or more money into yours as a used Hellcat is now. The bonus of the Hellcat is that it doesn't cost a ton of money to get to the power level that you're currently at.

Just a guess though.

As far as the OP, as others have said, there are better cars out there if you plan to mod them. If you already have a Challenger, then I'd recommend that you install the drop-in kit (pistons and rod/rings) and then put the blower on. Update your fuel system and some drivetrain pieces (especially if you run drag radials) and you're set. If you want a good budget blower cam, the Hellcat one works pretty well if you don't want a custom grind (and it's cheaper too).
Can’t say as I care really. Yep, if I wanted a Cat, I would have one by now. I wanted something unique. Now I have it with no regrets.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can’t say as I care really. Yep, if I wanted a Cat, I would have one by now. I wanted something unique. Now I have it with no regrets.
I can't say that I care either! It's Your Car and Your Money!! You did what made you Happy!!

I was just trying to make a point the OP to help make decision to the question that he asked.

Peace! :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Does a 6.4 make for a good project car? Im just curious about doing all the labor yourself when it comes to a supercharger, a cam, and a forged bottom end. Is it worth it to do it yourself or is it better to acquire a different vehicle as a project car?
It's a slippery slope. Once you finish that you might as well plan on going all the way to the other end of the driveshaft out through the ends of the rear wheels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts