Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2010 R/T and I've taken it to a few cars & coffees since buying it used back in late November. I get more looks than I imagined, mainly because I'm usually one of the few (if not the only) Challenger in a 6-speed, but also because it stands out just a little bit at these events. Why? Because it is stock. Yes, I painted my front RAM emblem, but I haven't done any real modifications to the car. I'm a big fan of the stock look of classic cars, and for the first time in my young life, I actually really like just the stock look. I can't say that for many cars these days. Does this mean I won't ever do any mods? No. Eventually I'll do the suspension for sure, but I'm really happy with it as it stands.

I guess my question is: Am I alone in this?

Mine:

Most of these didn't have heavy mods, but all did at least suspension and under the hood cosmetics. There were others at this event as well that were very heavily modified, and they were all very nice!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I like the stock look and it certainly has it's place...problem is it's 40 years down the road! Stock is obviously better to some for resale value too. My problem is I like the stock look but then I get bored and want to improve on what I already have. It's the gearhead in me and I'm sure many others on this forum can relate. So far Ive only done the "essentials" like a catch can, skip shift, and clutch delay valve delete. I would really like to put in a Barton shifter with pistol grip but my more conservative values are getting to me. I'm planning to upgrade to a CAT in the future and know I could still use the Barton but then I'd have to take it out again. Then again I may not get a manual and go with a an A8...NEVER!

This is how my mind works and the stock vs modify debate rages on. Lol

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,503 Posts
I like stock... I am trying to do 71' style mods to mine... So... stock, but as close as I can to a stock 71'...lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems that I have been more inclined to keep modding my other car since I like the stock look if my R/T, so it isn't like I'm saving any money lol! But yeah, outside of some of the essentials, I don't see myself ever straining too far from the stock LOOK. Performance mods, however, I'm very open to.

I just am happy with the stock look of these cars, and I can't say that for many cars these days.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Ssshh , stock is a dirty word around here . :D:p
I like my car as it is but also enjoy seeing what other people do .
I only park in the car shows for a safe park . The only people that even look at my car are little kids , they love the colour . :D

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
I've only done minor performance mods to mine so far. I too like the stock look. No plans to mod the suspension, engine bay, interior, or exterior.

Reactions: trudyc and Nakunz

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I don't plan on any major mods like I spent, I mean did on my Charger. I'll probably just do catch can, tint, and wider wheels but I'll get srt wheels so it still looks stock.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
29,784 Posts
I did some minor things, new floor mats, a few bee emblems, but that is probably about it. LOVE this car as it is for the most part. It already sounds so amazing, I am in love with the car!!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
If you go back far enough in reading the threads over the years you'll find everything from stripe deletes to body kits to suspension mods. There are those who removed vinyl stripes and painted new ones on. There have been emblem deletes and emblem changes. Complete vinyl body graphics have been done. It's all here from A to Forum Z!
As for myself I have kept the exterior stock and dabbled in minor interior and under hood mods. The world is yours, my friend!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have purchased a danko shaker(black) and cuda grill which I would like to paint chrome colour and put a Matt black Billboard paint job on my Black RT. I have blacked out the side marker lights. I would love get a front carbon spilter add on, but know it will probably become a pain. I'm just having fun.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,503 Posts
Well, the more I think about what I said... I guess my car will end up like a "day 2 mod" kind of look... But Stock is still cool... I have been to shows with dozens of Challengers - each with their own look... and like what others have said... its your ride - do what you want... in 20-30 years they will use your car as a "reference restoration example"... lol...

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Mods are good especially when it's to make the car a better car... Now when the car ends up looking like you bought everything in the book it can end up looking like a Christmas tree... No good.

·
RWHP=463.3 RWTQ=456.1
2,340 Posts
The stock look is fine, but TexasRT and shooterjgs make good points. Personally, I like the customized look but you have to have a vision of what you want it to look like in the end. I did this with my 2001 PT Cruiser (both interior and exterior) but it took many years to accomplish (i.e. deciding what looks better solid or ghost flames? etc.) With the Challenger, I took a different trajectory. Because I love the "heritage" look of my R/T Classic (why mess with perfection?), I've kept the outside largely stock, focusing instead on performance enhancements.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The stock look is fine, but TexasRT and shooterjgs make good points. Personally, I like the customized look but you have to have a vision of what you want the to look like in the end. I did this with my 2001 PT Cruiser (both interior and exterior) but it took many years to accomplish (i.e. deciding what looks better solid or ghost flames? etc.) With the Challenger, I took a different a trajectory. Because I love the "heritage" look of my R/T Classic (why mess with perfection?), I've kept the outside largely stock, focusing instead on performance enhancements.
This is the direction I want to go with mine.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The recurring question I get is "Do they come like that?" when noobs ask about the car.

I started with performance upgrades but certainly did not stop there, I am heavily modded. The performance upgrades from here get more complex, I am running a procharger and would require internals to push any more than 7PSI.

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Mods are good especially when it's to make the car a better car... Now when the car ends up looking like you bought everything in the book it can end up looking like a Christmas tree... No good.
Exactly, well said! There are a couple guys around in my neighborhood that have cars or trucks where it looks like they opened up an accessory catalog and said...yes I'll take one of everything please! No real theme or idea, just a bunch of random things all over the car or truck. Looks ridiculous. Custom cars when well thought out and done right look great. But many of them end up looking like "Christmas trees" as you said.

·
Business
21,789 Posts
I'm in middle, some cars need a little something. Here's my car the day I bought it.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Green

Here it is after I added the side stripes.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Green Muscle car

Now the stripes look factory. But they are not, the bottom stripe doesn't go all the way through. The factory version does. I like taking things that are factory looking but change them to make it your own.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts