Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some information. Over a year ago I contacted Galen Govier about documenting my all numbers matching 1970 Challenger RT / SE. I sent them the build sheet, a copy of the title, pictures of the Vin tag, etc. I even screwed up and gave them a credit card number. Since then they don't answer emails, nor phone messages. Does anyone know these people? are they for real? Does anyone else have these problems with these folks?

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
51,936 Posts
He did have a good reputation, I have never used him. I imagine he is pretty busy and I have read that it takes time to get the car verified. More than that I don't know.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
I have used him several times.....just recently with the purchase of a '68 Charger. They are extremely hard to get a hold of.....he caters to collectors. Keep trying.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I haven't been into the classic cars for over ten years, but his reputation is pretty much considered top notch. Years ago I sold him a bunch of literature and I also owned a Six Pack Road Runner that he reproduced the data plate for. Going back more than 20 years ago he was just a guy collecting build sheets and worrying about stuff no one cared about. These days validating a car is a big deal and he is THE GURU. All that said I have no idea how good he is at taking care of people and answering calls and e-mails.

·
Premium Member
12,345 Posts
I meet him 20 years ago at the MOPAR Nationals in Columbus, Ohio. At the time he seemed very approachable, I cannot comment on what he is up to these days...Good Luck. BTW there are other folks out there now...

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Never had a issue, have they charged your card yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been following a large number of posts on a sister Mopar site regarding this. Large number of complaints regarding very poor customer contact, being very non-responsive and catering to only people with very high dollar cars. Additionally he takes a very long time to return purchased documentation. He is generally very expensive to do up a complete decode, and has become very independent. He seems to generate a lot of negative feedback from some enthusiasts. The posts I read were enough for me to decide not to use his services

·
Registered
83 Posts
He was a built sheet collector, I wouldn't pay him money to tell me what I already have... He would have to provide a service for me to actually justify payment... Like if my fender tag was missing and I had no build sheet...Then, IF he had any way to track down any info to my car, like its factory original options, only then would I be interested, otherwise, he is just going threw information that is already readily available on the internet and in the hearts and heads of many Mopar people. I'm not impressed by Mr G., and it sounds like if you don't have a factory 426 or wing car that he will probably get back to you whenever he feels like it, if he feels like it... My opinion. I do respect Mr. G for his taste in cars however, man got that right...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Collecting build sheets and going public about it doesn't make you a guru by the way... The non mopar people buying up chrysler products and not knowing anything about them or if its "Real or a Clone" make this guy out as a GURU, because he can pick out like most other die-hard car guys/ mopar guys can also pick out. He just made a service out of it and charged people to tell them what a car guy would already know... He markets to the "collectors in the hobby" who are to car-stupid to know if what they are buying is what its being advertised as... AKA people with MONEY not with and CAR SENSE/ BRAND LOYALTY/ TRUE MOPAR FANATIC ... Sound bitter? Maybe a little, as collectors have made it hard for "normal middle class" people like me to hope to buy any collectible mopar that I have worshiped a since I was a little kid, and I feel like anything Mr G has to say is COMMON KNOWLEDGE if you run around the kind of Mopar people I know. I know a guy named Mark that has probably forgot more about Mopars than most will ever know... And I'm not joking. He is a wealth of knowledge on cars, especially Dodges, Plymouths, and 426 hemis. Older men that have been doing the Chrysler thing for the last 40+ years like him, know their stuff, and are a wealth of knowledge and information, and he shares it all for FREE, if your willing to listen... For those who have more money than interest and knowledge of a classic mopar, there is a man for hire named Mr. G, who has put a price on common Mopar knowledge and advertised in mopar magazines the last 20 years...

* There are plenty of ways to research & document your Mopar without paying that guy $ and hoping he emails you back one day... He is probably set on the upper class car collectors that have more money than car knowlege and buy several cars a year, and keep him busy with that barrett-jackson crowd of car buyers. A rare mopar is not worth any more to me because of his paper he mails back to you, telling you your car was built the 3rd week in April and is 1 of 247 with that color, interior, and transmission. FYI most of his inspections aren't even visual inspections, he is just going off whatever paperwork you mail him. If you have a build sheet and or the original fender tag, what are you trying to document in the first place? I think someone is overrated...

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Unless you have a super rare Mopar or one with very low mileage that you need to authenticate and you plan on getting top dollar when you sell, then a Govier Report won't do much but empty your wallet. Anyone can decode a Fender Tag.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
First off, he is probably one of the few guys that can spot a fake. Do you know what font should be stamped for the VIN on the engine block? Do you know what kind of bump stops should be on a car with a Dana rear axle vs a 8-3/4 axle? Whats the difference between an E-Body built in LA vs. one built in Hamtramack? Most of the time this stuff doesn't matter but on a high dollar car that may sell for over a Million dollars, he is one of the few people that knows.

He can often tell most of the options on a car by certain ways the car was built. Its not stuff you find in books but learned by looking at hundreds of cars and understanding how they were built. If your missing the data plate, he can tell how the car was built and with what options.

I'm not defending his buisness practices or if his services are worth the money, I'm just saying there is a lot of things this guy knows that isn't something that can be looked up in a book.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
First off, he is probably one of the few guys that can spot a fake. Do you know what font should be stamped for the VIN on the engine block? Do you know what kind of bump stops should be on a car with a Dana rear axle vs a 8-3/4 axle? Whats the difference between an E-Body built in LA vs. one built in Hamtramack? Most of the time this stuff doesn't matter but on a high dollar car that may sell for over a Million dollars, he is one of the few people that knows.

He can often tell most of the options on a car by certain ways the car was built. Its not stuff you find in books but learned by looking at hundreds of cars and understanding how they were built. If your missing the data plate, he can tell how the car was built and with what options.

I'm not defending his buisness practices or if his services are worth the money, I'm just saying there is a lot of things this guy knows that isn't something that can be looked up in a book.
Agreed....authenticity is his specialty.....which is why we recently used his services for our very low mileage '68 Charger.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't know about one of the few guys... Im sure there are several, they just dont advertise. Im also not in the market for a million dollar car, though it must be nice... I don't have anything personally against the guy, he could be a great guy, I just get tired of hearing his name over and over like he is Mr. Mopar or something... But your right, just because I have never learned anything from him, doesn't mean he doesn't know what hes talking about. Hats off to the guy for being a fellow mopar lover and fanatic, that I can understand and respect.

* If your missing the data plate, he can TRY to get you information on your car... Older records were destroyed in a fire at Chrysler building and no longer exist.

·
Registered
83 Posts
How would he be able to verify mileage of a low-mile car exactly? (Besides the tell-tale signs of wear and tear on all the components, and looking at available paperwork/ service records with recorded mileage, like everyone else)

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
How would he be able to verify mileage of a low-mile car exactly? (Besides the tell-tale signs of wear and tear on all the components, and looking at available paperwork/ service records with recorded mileage, like everyone else)
Not sure......we paid him a lot of $$ to fly out and meet with us prior to purchase. He spent over 90 mins with the car......he pulled the dash, went through the electrical and pretty much every inch of the car. The car had 7,000 original miles on it......car is all original minus the battery, tires and one repaint. We just wanted verification and a certificate of authenticity. Galen's report probably added $5-8K to the value of the car.....money well spent.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not sure......we paid him a lot of $$ to fly out and meet with us prior to purchase. He spent over 90 mins with the car......he pulled the dash, went through the electrical and pretty much every inch of the car. The car had 7,000 original miles on it......car is all original minus the battery, tires and one repaint. We just wanted verification and a certificate of authenticity. Galen's report probably added $5-8K to the value of the car.....money well spent.
Interesting... I don't think I would want my dash pulled out of a 7k original mile car, but interesting... Thanks for the info, the Charger sounds awesome btw, what color is it, and was that the original color?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts