Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for some experience and/or opinions on Opticoat vs the paint protection the dealers offer and opinions in general regarding Opticoat.

I am receiving a check to cover the full cost of Opticoat when I pickup my car, worked its way into the deal somehow lol Most of this stuff seem to last about 5yr +/- so I want whatever offers the best protection/appearance during that time.

Cheers,

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
51,937 Posts
I was looking for some experience and/or opinions on Opticoat vs the paint protection the dealers offer and opinions in general regarding Opticoat.

I am receiving a check to cover the full cost of Opticoat when I pickup my car, worked its way into the deal somehow lol Most of this stuff seem to last about 5yr +/- so I want whatever offers the best protection/appearance during that time.

Cheers,
I am not aware of any sealant that lasts 5 years.If you check on opti cote's site it does require maintenance. Most better sealants will get you 8-9 months before they need to be reapplied.

Reactions: Bee Keeper 16

·
Knight of the black asphalt.
8,582 Posts
I would be skeptical of any product that offers 5 years of protection. I am also skeptical of dealer getting into the detailing business. The dealer states they worked it into the deal, hmmm.

I also will be using the Zaino products. So far I am very happy with this product. Other members recommend other products that I am sure are equally as good as the Zaino.

If you can recoup your money, I would recommend it. If you are unable to detail your vehicle yourself, you will have $1000 to put towards outsourcing your vehicle to a professional detailer. You can buy the products you want and have them do the job. You'll have money for at least two years of detailing.

MIke

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
doesn't sound like anything I would want to try from reading what HemiMetal has put on here
I was thinking the opposite...

Opti-Coat is based on a pre-polymer resin that once it is applied, it cross links and reacts with urethane and other clear coat paints to form a permanent film. Opti-Coat has better chemical resistance, scratch & mar resistance, and release properties than any automotive coating in use. Opti-Coat lasts indefinitely unless it is removed by polishing, sanding, or paint removers. Ease of maintenance is greatly improved over a traditional wax or sealant, not to mention the savings over time not having to pay for someone to wax your car. Opti-Coat does not wash away and is completely resistant to bird droppings and love bugs! Another benefit is the thickness added to the clear coat, allowing the coating to take scratch damage before getting into the clear coating itself.

Opti Coat is unlike glass/nano coats because it becomes the topcoat just like another layer of clear would...instead of forming a temporary bond that will weaken and allow the product to gradually degrade. Two years is pretty impressive until you consider that it potentially can fade to no coating at all by then. Opti Coat will be the same added thickness as it was when applied until it is abrasively removed via polishing/compounding.

Our consumer version (Opti-Coat 2.0) is easy to use and available here at AG. Our pro version (Opti-Coat Pro) is available from authorized installers internationally and has an available LIFETIME warranty when applied to a new vehicle.

-Chris Thomas
I would be getting Opticoat Pro, not the 2.0 and you can still wax over it for an extra layer, it just won't last as long.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would be skeptical of any product that offers 5 years of protection. I am also skeptical of dealer getting into the detailing business. The dealer states they worked it into the deal, hmmm.

I got it worked into the deal after talking about paint protection and rust prevention. My salesman has the Opticoat Pro on his car and it looks great, I am just finding most are either for it or against it, not much middle ground.

I also will be using the Zaino products. So far I am very happy with this product. Other members recommend other products that I am sure are equally as good as the Zaino.

If you can recoup your money, I would recommend it. If you are unable to detail your vehicle yourself, you will have $1000 to put towards outsourcing your vehicle to a professional detailer. You can buy the products you want and have them do the job. You'll have money for at least two years of detailing.

That was my other consideration, I will be calling around to price it out as well, thanks for the input

MIke

·
Knight of the black asphalt.
8,582 Posts
It sounds like you are taking a step back and really doing your research, which is alway a good idea. I look forward to what you decide.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
51,937 Posts
Another thought is with that, as time progresses the car will more likely need minor paint correction and when that is done you will need to redo the treatment. Just something to keep in mind.Keep us updated.

Reactions: Bee Keeper 16

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Opti coat is a good product. Coatings when properly applied can last years. My theory is that if your a guy who doesn't like to wax/seal your car, just wash and drive, then a coating is for you. I know solid guy in Ontario if you want contact info pm me. Not sure how far he is from you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts