Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Does Base 6.4L Scat Pack Corner Better Than 5.7L R/T?

10K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  10HORT 
#1 ·
Dealer can’t answer this question, so looking for member input. Thanks

#3 ·
Base Scat vs. base RT? Yes.

Base Scat vs. the 5.7 with the Performance Plus Package 20x9.5 and p275 tires and the Performance Handling Group (Basically the "Sport" suspension with Bilsteins and 4-piston Brembos) - No, due to the tires and basically the same suspension from what I've seen.

Scat + Dynamics package vs. the the 5.7 with the Performance Plus Package 20x9.5 and p275 tires and the Performance Handling Group (Basically the "Sport" suspension with Bilsteins and 4-piston Brembos) - I'm going to guess similar, but the Scat will have the 6-piston Brembos and stop better.

Scat Widebody vs.....yeah, nevermind.

What is your intended purpose with the car? Cones? Track? Daily driver? Both are decent handling, but the tires on both base cars are way too skinny and poor compounds in my opinion.

I've done lots of track time in other cars over the years - Corvettes, Mustangs, hot hatches, and I've driven some exotics and even a Formula Ford - all on tracks and autocrosses. Dead stock, my Scat handled much better on the regular roads than most of those. And those track cars all had wide wheels and tires swapped at the track.

My base Scat with just adding the p275 tires on the stock 20x9" wheels handles extremely well. I have zero interest in lowering it, but am pricing out strut bars to stiffen it a bit more. That is about all it needs to handle as well as I need it to.

Hope that helps.

#5 ·
I live where I like to drive hard thru corners in the Blue Ridge Mountains. My track days are behind me. Have an R/T now. A bit too soft in the corners. Don't want to get into mod mode, so looking to replace it with a Scat Pack. The stock SP may do the trick if it comes with beefier sway bars. Not looking for an all-out performer in the twisties, and don't want a car that's sprung so hard it ruins daily commutes and long trips on the highway.

#6 ·
I think the model and year affect handling. The Challenger will never be considered a good handling car. That said, I have a 17 T/A and they lowered that car from stock and beefed up the suspension. It handles better than my 12 R/T.

#10 ·
...The Challenger will never be considered a good handling car....
I disagree, just a little bit.

I think this statement depends on the context. It can be debated that "A 2021 Challenger will never be considered a good handling car compared to same-class 2021 competitor offerings".

However, I think it is predominately true that "A 2021 Challenger handles far better than the top sports car offerings from 25 years ago".

#8 ·
The wide body would fit you well. However, I drive twist roads 45 miles round trip daily in my ‘18 base SP. with the 275 tires and the SP suspension, I love it. The SP sits lower than a base RT by quite a bit and is beefier by far IMO.

Honestly, I’m fine without any other mods - my comment on the strut bars is just bcuz I’ve always wondered how much better it could be for a dirt cheap upgrade. I have NO intention on lowering any more than stock.

#9 · (Edited)
The WB is better in the turns, but I'm just not a fan of those "bubbled" fenders. Had they gone with stamped flare fenders, I'd be all over it. I want to purchase a C6 convertible, but my lady doesn't want to go back to getting in and out of a Corvette. She loves that the Challenger doesn't sit as low as our C4 did. The smoother ride and additional weight makes her feel safe while driving. She also loves the Uconnect 8.4 system; even with the Alpine speakers. She also loves the more spacious interior design. I have a few angles that I'm working-on... :cool:

I don't want to get rid of the Challenger... I want both! ;)

#11 · (Edited)
Well maybe in that context LOL. The Challenger was designed to go straight for a 1/4 mile, not carve canyons. It weighs too much and is too big to be considered a good handling car like a Mustang.

#12 ·
Well maybe in that context LOL. The Challenger was designed to do straight for a 1/4 mile, not carve canyons. It weighs too much and is too big to be considered a good handling car like a Mustang.

#13 ·
Well, I kind of think a Base 6.4L Scat Pack would do better than a 5.7L R/T in most aspects when it comes to road handling.
OK, I have 2010 R/T Classic with Open Diff.
I forget which magazine did a test between a Stock 5.7L R/T and an SRT8.
Brake fade and soft suspension were the detriment of the stock R/T.
Better suspension and braking were the plus for the SRT8.
That has too be true for the Scat Pack. SRT components in an R/T setting.

Am I wrong? I mean, where does that Not make sense?

I have done spirited driving on winding Ohio roads. I took on a stock Mustang while doing it. Yeah, I ate him up. It's knowing how to use what you have.

Reactions: MIDNITE RT
#24 ·
I believe the limited edition 345 R/T 50th Anniversary has the same accoutrements as the SP, minus the 392 engine, of course.
Not having kept up with the changes over the years I can see where the 345 can give the SP a run for its money with what you wrote. Thanks!

Reactions: 68Coronet
#15 · (Edited)
I've read in an online SP review that the base SP comes with Bilstein shocks and firmer rate springs than those on the R/T.

My recently dealer sent me this message about SP sway bars versus R/T sway bars: "they are different. the scat pack looks to be shorter and thicker doesn't give me a actual dimension on them but I got with parts and they are both way different than the R/T which would mean better cornering."

The above gives me reason to expect better cornering in the SP.

#18 ·
The Limited Edition 50th Anniversary 345 R/T comes with upgraded suspension; including Bilstein shocks. It sits 1 inch lower as well. Definitely lower than my (now sold) 2016 R/T. View attachment 271856
are those the non adjustable bilsteins that were used in "Track Pack" cars? I was thinking about getting those for my 2015 R/T, I already added SRT springs to it.

Do they help your 60' times?

#27 ·
According to the Dodge website -

Brakes:
PERFORMANCE BRAKE SYSTEM
Large front rotors (13.6 inches) and dual piston front sliding calipers improve brake performance. Standard on GT and R/T, the Super Track Pak option adds performance brake linings for reduced brake fade under heavy braking conditions.

BREMBO FOUR-PISTON BRAKE SYSTEM
With four-piston Brembo calipers and 14.2-inch (front) and 13.8-inch (rear) vented/slotted rotors, the Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack and 392 HEMI® Scat Pack SHAKER deliver astonishing braking power.

BREMBO SIX-PISTON BRAKE SYSTEM
Standard on the Dodge Challenger SRT® Hellcat and SRT Hellcat Redeye are 390-mm (15.4-inch) Brembo two-piece rotors with six-piston calipers.

Suspension:
The base RT Scat Pack comes with the High-Performance Suspension that includes a 1/2" drop in ride height, different springs and bars, and is NOT adjustable as is the 3-way version. It sits noticeably lower than a base RT.

To get the same suspension in the RT as the base RT Scat Pack, you have to get the Performance Handling Group option added to the car.

#29 ·
...BREMBO SIX-PISTON BRAKE SYSTEM
Standard on the Dodge Challenger SRT® Hellcat and SRT Hellcat Redeye are 390-mm (15.4-inch) Brembo two-piece rotors with six-piston calipers....
I ordered my Scat Pack with the 6-piston calipers. The stock pads produce enormous amounts of brake dust, so I immediately swapped them for aftermarket pads. Of course, it is necessary to bed the pads to the rotors with a series of hard stops. That made my head hurt. Seriously. All the blood going to the front of my head with the hard stops gave me a headache and my eyes felt like they were being pushed out.

The G-force meter showed 1.27 forward G's from those hard stops. Yeah, those six-pistons will give you plenty of 'whoa' when you hit them hard.

#36 ·
In summary, I like the Scat Pack's 110 additional hp, better suspension, and better brakes, than the standard R/T model. The 392 engine is perfect as is with ample torque and acceleration. No need for mods IMO. The 4-piston Brembo brakes stop this 4,200 beast with ease. The Bilstein shocks and firmer rate springs (with 1/2" drop in ride height) provide sure-footed handling. This car wants to turn-in and I can change my line in turns without body roll or upsetting the suspension. Nothing like a quick muscle car that knows how to turn!

#37 ·
I can say for sure a 2018 SP (My car) with the Dynamics Package corners a lot better than a friend's 2018 R/T does. It does everything better, corners, stops, and definitely accelerates better. My car rides slightly stiffer, but it's not by a huge amount and only noticable on bad pavement. And my old '10 R/T Classic didn't handle nearly as well as my friend's '18 R/T. Not even close.

Reactions: boyohboy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.