Dodge Challenger Forum banner

DONT do a DIABLO Trinity Tuner

9K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  moparniac 
#1 ·
Guys I am going to keep this short so people read this.

2010 Challenger R/T in Kokomo had a no start condition. Battery completely drained in morning and I am out of town. So an 80$ batter boost and 280$ bill from Chrysler Garage to tell me that the Diablo is drawing 200+mAmps when key is in off position. :4-dontknow: Chrysler verified all power systems from battery to ECM. All items on car were under Factory power draw with key off of 40mA max, except for the Diablo which is 5x over spec.

Yes I did contact Diablo and they tried a couple different this to no avail. I did some testing to make sure Diablo fix, Garrett K suggestion for Sleep Timer to Zero. Did NOT work as I left car for two days to find that the battery was completely drained.

Couple pics for your viewing pleasure

Text Font Paper Document Newsprint

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Headlamp

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I only plug mine in when needed...

#5 ·
I've seen where people said they have drained their battery before with the Trinity, the solution though is simple, just don't plug it in except when in use. I have been using diablo products for the last four years, first a Predator and now a Trinity without any major issues. However, I only plug it in when I need to load a tune or do some data logging, to me it's just something that would get in the way for normal everyday driving. I guess I don't see a reason to leave it plugged in all the time.

Reactions: moparniac
#6 ·
Bummer man, sorry to hear that. I have a Predator and just use it to load tunes and datalog, otherwise it's not hooked up to my car. Going forward I would just unplug it when the car is not in use, easiest and cheapest way to avoid any issues.

#11 ·
You set the Sleep Timer to 0? They said to set it to 30 seconds for a fix on their forums, haven't had no problems with the Trinity so far since then. Did have a hard start once before I set the timer to 30 seconds.

I've let the car sit for a couple weeks since I was unable to drive due to medical issues, but when I went to start driving it again it started right up. Trinity was plugged in the whole time.

#12 ·
The Trinity will draw about 100 mA itself. Even if you have the sleep timer set properly, the Trinity parasitic draw is 3x the normal parasitic draw. If you regularly drive the car it is not a problem but if you leave it set for days at a minimum it is hard on the battery. Do yourself a favor and just unplug it.

#15 ·
The OP hasn't responded since he posted this in January. I wonder if by the replies to his warning, he realized he didn't have to leave the Trinity plugged in? I don't own one (yet), but I wouldn't leave it plugged in either.

#16 ·
Once you get the tune on the car, I see no real benefits of keeping it plugged in. Does it do a great amount of analysis and provide read-outs? Yes, but, its not I can use those tools while driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.