Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread a while back about how smart our cars are, that I if you leave your keys in your car and try to lock it from the outside, it would not lock, well, I recently discovered that if you have your keys in your car and you lock the doors using the inside button they WILL lock, so heed this warning and save yourself a head ache. !!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm trying to think of a time when I'd want to leave my keys inside my car, but lock the doors. I can't think of one. So if the outside button doesn't work, then how do you get back into your car again? And if you are using the second key fob to get back into the car again, then why do you want to leave the first key fob inside the car to begin with?

I'm confuzzed...

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Good to know, I found out the outside handle button won't work if the keys are inside the first week I bought the car. Kept mashing the button and it wouldn't lock, was thinking something was broke already lol looked inside and sure enough keys were in the console, felt like an idiot but saved myself from calling Pop A Lock! :smileup:

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
I posted a thread a while back about how smart our cars are, that I if you leave your keys in your car and try to lock it from the outside, it would not lock, well, I recently discovered that if you have your keys in your car and you lock the doors using the inside button they WILL lock, so heed this warning and save yourself a head ache. !!!

That happened the day I went to pick-up my Challenger. The Sales guy and myself were sitting in the car, then doing the walk around on the outside and the driver door closed and the keys were inside. He had to write the VIn down and go have a key cut on the spot so we could get in. He said, here you go, a 3rd spare key. Yeah, it CAN happen.

·
Registered
151 Posts
OH...so you are saying be careful so you don't hit the inside door lock switch and lock yourself out. OK that makes sense now. At first I thought you were trying to lock yourself out. Lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This happened to me before i left my keys in the car, shut the door, went to go open it up 3 minutes later and the door was locked when i left it unlocked lol Luckily i had my extra spair key fob with me :3

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,407 Posts
Good to know, I found out the outside handle button won't work if the keys are inside the first week I bought the car. Kept mashing the button and it wouldn't lock, was thinking something was broke already lol looked inside and sure enough keys were in the console, felt like an idiot but saved myself from calling Pop A Lock! :smileup:
The trunk won't close either as I found out when I went to a car show and wanted to put my purse in the trunk with the fob inside!

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
27,950 Posts
Happened to me the first year I had the car. Got to work, key fob in the console since I have the push button start. Opened the door at work, hit the lock button on the door grabbed my purse, got out and slammed the door. Good thing I was able to have someone drive down with the other fob...

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,672 Posts
OH...so you are saying be careful so you don't hit the inside door lock switch and lock yourself out. OK that makes sense now. At first I thought you were trying to lock yourself out. Lol.
I think a lot of us lock the car with the inside switch for two reasons.

1. Pressing the inside switch, or the button on the outside handle, locks the car and arms the alarm while eliminating the chance that a thief will be able to scan your remote code.
  2. The inside switch doesn't beep, unlike the remote or pressing the button on the outside handle, thereby eliminating an audio announcement that your are locking your car and leaving.
I always use the inside switch, so knowing that I can lock my keys whereas the other methods prevent that from happening is good information to know.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I found out about the trunk lock issue also. If you have remote start, the car will not start with the key fob in the car. I could not find my spare key. Tried to start the car remotely, could not. I thought there was a problem. My son found my spare key in the center console. Removed the spare key and the car started remotely with no problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts