Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
12,989 Posts
Nice video, the 440-6 Pack was a real strong runner, i always liked them, thanks for sharing.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,615 Posts
Great video John, thanks for posting.

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
I was expecting the Hemi powered GTX to win. Did you notice that the GTX was closing on the the Challenger? Given enough distance the Hemi will usually win. It has been said that if you challenge a Hemi powered car on the street, make sure that it's only for a short distance because the Hemi car will eventually overtake you.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was expecting the Hemi powered GTX to win. Did you notice that the GTX was closing on the the Challenger? Given enough distance the Hemi will usually win. It has been said that if you challenge a Hemi powered car on the street, make sure that it's only for a short distance because the Hemi car will eventually overtake you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvpBVAA_Pis
How about Hemi 426 vs Hemi 426?
Check out how close the Super Bee and the Roadrunner finish in the 2nd race.

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
How about Hemi 426 vs Hemi 426?
Check out how close the Super Bee and the Roadrunner finish in the 2nd race.
I can live with the sound of that exhaust drone...in stereo! Here's a quotable fact for you: "You can never walk away from a Hemi". This is true in more ways than one.

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
The 440 cars were probably easier to keep in tune for racing, but there's just something about a Hemi (a combo of looks, sound and power) that make it a bit more awesome.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Pretty darn neat!

Kinda interesting that right up until launch, the GTX is in the left lane. When the race is shown from the tower, the cars have switched lanes.

Chrysler used to say that the '69 1/2 440 6bbl Roadrunner was the quickest street car they ever produced. That was the only year the car came with a hand balanced bottom end, and an aluminum intake manifold. My Dad had probably one of the rarest cars Chrysler ever produced...a 69 440 6bbl Roadrunner with power windows and air conditioning. Hemi Orange, with black bucket seats. Chrysler denies ever making a 69 6bbl car with air and power windows, but I drove the car. Dad refused to spin the tires, kept the air on, and ran 13.91 at 103 mph the only time I could talk him into taking the car to the dragstrip. He wouldn't let me try it! That car would have been 12's easy with traction and tires.

Thanks for the memories, HemiMetal.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,498 Posts
Downright Neat! I like the way the GTX raised in the rear!

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
In theory they never made a six pack car with air. The air cleaner lid wouldn't clear the AC compressor. I've seen them done before, it just takes a little trimming of the air cleaner set up.

I don't think any of the cars in the original video are stock. I'm not sure but I think the Challenger might have had slicks also and both cars might have.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The GTX certainly has the Chrysler Super Stock springs in the rear. They make the rear rise exactly like that. Plus, those cars never sat up like that in the rear stock.

Dad was a Plymouth Dealer in 1969. He ordered the car that way under the Dealer Demo program. He sold it to a local man, that parked it behind his barn when gas prices reached .50 cents a gallon in 1974. I believe the remains of the car are still sitting behind the same barn, never to be sold or driven again. :i_redface: I've tried to buy it for years.

Dad also had a special order '69 GTX Demo, with the 440 4bbl, Red with tan buckets, air, power windows, and a 6 way manual seat. That car we kept until about 1990 or so.

·
Registered
558 Posts
They're clearly not stock if they're running low 12s on street tires. Once the modding starts, hard to know what we're comparing.

·
12,989 Posts
They're clearly not stock if they're running low 12s on street tires. Once the modding starts, hard to know what we're comparing.
That's very true Jim, I thought the same thing myself.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
The hemi car wasn't really catching the six pack car either, it was only going 1 mph faster.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
The 426 Hemi is a brute, the 440 6 pack is a runner, swap out the 'normal" 323 gears to 355 or lower in a 6 pack car and you would give the Hemi fits all day long on the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 67 GTX weighed a ton compared to the Chally. I owned both but with 440's and while the 67 440 was the best ever produced it was a dog compared to my 70 440 Challenger because of the weight difference. I also owned a 70 383 and 70 340 Chally, 70 383 Super Bee, and 70 AAR Cuda among other Mopars.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I think you would be surprised at how close the weight of a B body and the E body are. I've owned both and depending on how they were optioned the E-body would be no more than 200 pounds less.

·
Registered
448 Posts
That's a fact. If you wanted a light MoPar, you went with an "A" body.
With a 572 HEMI, four speed, etc...

(Now I'm just dreamin')

·
12,989 Posts
That's a fact. If you wanted a light MoPar, you went with an "A" body.
With a 572 HEMI, four speed, etc...

(Now I'm just dreamin')

I always thought about that too Rob, I could only just imagine on how a modern day Hemi would run in one of those old "A" bodies, what a hell raiser that would be. :smileup:

Reactions: wvhemis
1 - 20 of 28 Posts