Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it whoever crosses the finish line first or is it who gets the lower time in the 1/4 regardless who crosses finish line first ?

The faster car and winner should be the time when finishing the race right?

How does this happen, example is if a car crosses the finish line first but the other car got a better ( faster time ) but came in 2nd ?

Doesn't the time start for both lanes once the green light turns on ?

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,539 Posts
Is it whoever crosses the finish line first or is it who gets the lower time in the 1/4 regardless who crosses finish line first ?

The faster car and winner should be the time when finishing the race right?

How does this happen, example is if a car crosses the finish line first but the other car got a better ( faster time ) but came in 2nd ?

Doesn't the time start for both lanes once the green light turns on ?
In order.

First one to the Finsh Line.

Not every time, a slower car can possibly have a better reaction time.

See answer 2.

No, the time starts for each car when they individually open their staging beam light, not the green light.

Watch an NHRA race on ESPN. Pay attention to the announcers and you will soon get the gist of it.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Assuming there was no red light which DQ'd the "faster" car, its because the timing only starts when the car moves. So if the light turns green and the driver of car A has a faster reaction time (meaning he/she leaves earlier than their opponent) then car A's elapsed time actually starts to accumulate before that of car B. So if car B starts to move later, their elapsed time actually starts to accumulate later than that of car A and thus lags behind. Thats why car A might actually beat them to the finish line even with a slower elapsed time.

For example if Car A has a 0.1 second faster reaction time and has an elpased time of 14.00 when you compare that to car B with a faster elapsed time of 13.95 but who was 0.1 slower to leave than car A, Car B actually crosses the finish line 0.05 seconds after car A. So even thought car A was actually slower, their "holeshot" (i.e., their faster launch) gave them enough of a head start to overcome the quicker car B. That is why driving skill and reaction time is so critical. Hope this makes sense :)

Here's a quick reference that might jelp with basics.

http://www.nhra.net/basics/index.html

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Assuming there was no red light which DQ'd the "faster" car, its because the timing only starts when the car moves. So if the light turns green and the driver of car A has a faster reaction time (meaning he/she leaves earlier than their opponent) then car A's elapsed time actually starts to accumulate before that of car B. So if car B starts to move later, their elapsed time actually starts to accumulate later than that of car A and thus lags behind. Thats why car A might actually beat them to the finish line even with a slower elapsed time.

For example if Car A has a 0.1 second faster reaction time and has an elpased time of 14.00 when you compare that to car B with a faster elapsed time of 13.95 but who was 0.1 slower to leave than car A, Car B actually crosses the finish line 0.05 seconds after car A. So even thought car A was actually slower, their "holeshot" (i.e., their faster launch) gave them enough of a head start to overcome the quicker car B. That is why driving skill and reaction time is so critical. Hope this makes sense :)

Here's a quick reference that might jelp with basics.

http://www.nhra.net/basics/index.html

wow thank you for the breakdown !! That was amazing explanation and easy to read for me, thank you.

Couple of questions...

1. Reaction Time- This is just timing when that light turns green right ? It isn't the type of car you have, it's on the driver to jump the launch on time? Is this correct ?

Did not know the times don't start until launch, thought when the light turn green, the times for both lanes start no matter when you launch. I would like this more because if i cross the finish and had a slower time, now back of my head i would think if the other driver had a normal jump and timed the jump, he would of won.

·
Registered
56 Posts
There are several types of drag racing and different trees. You have heads up and bracket racing. You have a full .500 tree, .400 pro tree and .500 pro tree. The full tree the lights come down one at a time and the pro tree three yellows at the same time, then green. If you watch it on ESPN you will see the pro tree and they are running heads up - car that crosses the finish line first wins. Bracket racing you have to dial you car, slower car gets to leave first and the faster car has to catch them. In bracket racing you can't run faster than your dial unless your competitor runs under their dial by more. Bracket racing is what you will see at most local tracks on the weekends and there are multiple classes with certain rules.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Where does this dial in number come from ? I need to slow down in order not to get lower than my dial in time? While racing how do i know if my opponent will get lower than his/her dial in time?

Nevermind i just read the link, its basically an average of 1/4 runs .

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Hole Shot wins are the coolest things to watch!

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,539 Posts
Hole Shot wins are the coolest things to watch!
Yep, Susie! Coolest, most satisfying thing tondo, also. Means the driver has done their job!

·
Registered
56 Posts
You dial your car based on time runs and what you think it will run. Weather and track conditions play a big role into what it will run from run to run as well. The trick is to have a better reaction time than your competitor then you have some room to pedal or tap the brakes at the finish line so you don't run under your dial in. You need to be able to judge the finish line along with the car beside you. Bracket racing is hard, but it makes it fair. Heads up racing is who has the most money and the fastest car will win as long as they can cut a descent light.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In drag racing, a "holeshot win" refers to a victory in which a driver runs a slower elapsed time (E.T.), but wins the race due to a faster reaction time at the start

This is what i got from dictionary lol . The question i have is a holeshot win the driver who gets to the finish line first ?

I don't like a race only to be determined on reaction time which is basically the launch right ? What if CAR A got a great reaction time but messes up on shifting gears, i hope holeshot is not only getting good reaction time but also crossing the finish line first.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
In drag racing, a "holeshot win" refers to a victory in which a driver runs a slower elapsed time (E.T.), but wins the race due to a faster reaction time at the start

This is what i got from dictionary lol . The question i have is a holeshot win the driver who gets to the finish line first ?

I don't like a race only to be determined on reaction time which is basically the launch right ? What if CAR A got a great reaction time but messes up on shifting gears, i hope holeshot is not only getting good reaction time but also crossing the finish line first.
Yes....he does cross the finish line first......but his ET is slower.

Here's one from a NHRA event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Do_hBiyDJY

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes....he does cross the finish line first......but his ET is slower.

Here's one from a NHRA event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Do_hBiyDJY

Thanks for that video.

Is Reaction Time on the driver only or does it have to do with the type of car ?

ALso, on the timeslip, i see negative time on the Reaction Time, does this mean that driver jumped too soon and got red light ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, if you see a negative on the time slip they red lighted and that's a automatic loss unless the other person is negative by a larger margin. In bracket racing the slower car leaves first and if they red light they automatically lose, even if the other faster car red-lights by a larger margin. Always an advantage to have the faster car.

You can have a horrible reaction time and the other person can mess up shifting or break and if you cross the finish line first you win. On the other hand when people say they won on a hole shot, that means they left first and had a big enough margin off the starting line to make up running a slower time that they win. Example - if I beat you off the line by a tenth of a second but run a half tenth slower I will cross the finish line first.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for great information you have provided . :) :smileup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
RT is make up of two parts, driver and the car. Both take time to react. I always adjust the car to cut a light. The car and how it's setup is key to cutting a good light. Staging position, launch rmp, tire pressure, tire diameter, supension adjustments, etc can alter RT. The driver needs to be able to hit the same spot on the tree which takes seat time and lots of hours on the practice tree.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts