Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there going to the track in their cars and would like to share what size rims and wheels they are running and how they perform?
I am doing the research into getting some dedicated track rims and tires and thinking about going with the bravado 18in rim that is 10in wide with the 5x115 bolt pattern of course and with a +20 offset. i plan to get some decent drag radials like a 305 size hoosier or mickey thompson. but also thinking of a 17 in set up to but dont really know where to start on that one. any help or tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Note: i have a fairly stock 2014 challenger rt that will have a cam swap done soon so looking t hit 400hp hopefully after cam install and tuning.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone out there going to the track in their cars and would like to share what size rims and wheels they are running and how they perform?
I am doing the research into getting some dedicated track rims and tires and thinking about going with the bravado 18in rim that is 10in wide with the 5x115 bolt pattern of course and with a +20 offset. i plan to get some decent drag radials like a 305 size hoosier or mickey thompson. but also thinking of a 17 in set up to but dont really know where to start on that one. any help or tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Note: i have a fairly stock 2014 challenger rt that will have a cam swap done soon so looking t hit 400hp hopefully after cam install and tuning.
I run Bravada wheels and MT street R tires in 18 inch. About 1000 bucks mounted and balanced at Summit. Work well.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
I went with Racestars all around. 17x4.5 up front and 17x9.5 rear. M/T ET Street R 305/45/17 drag radial on the back and M&H 28-4.5/17 radial front runner up front. Excellent results so far this year with them. 80lbs lighter than my stock wheels and tires (55lbs off the front + 25lbs off the rear). Helps with weight transfer and 60ft times. Plus they look cool!

Did the whole setup for $1650 (wheels, tires, lugs, etc). Got the rims on sale on Black Friday for 40% off and got a little off the tires around Christmas time. Can't post links in threads but PM me if you're interested in this setup, I can give you some info/tips, etc.

If you just want to keep it simple, you can get a 9" wide rim for the rear and run a 20" drag radial. I ran M/T ET Street S/S 275/40/20's last year on my stock 20x9 rims and had great results with those as well.

Here's what the Racestars look like...

IMG_7084.JPG

IMG_6576.PNG

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Thanks for the info yall and the thread posted earlier is helpful and i appreciate it, will do some more research.
With a 6 speed I would suggest going with a 17" rim and more sidewall vs a 20" rim.

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
Some of us are running 275/50/17 M&H Race Masters on 17x9 Mustang Cobra Replica rims. Tires are about $650/pair. Rims are about $125/ea unless you can find used ones. If running a stick, go for the 17" wheels.

IMG_3688.JPG

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i was going with a 17 or 18in rim and will get a bigger sidewall when looking at tires i have seen other people running the mustang rims and i know those wheels have a 114x3 bolt pattern and will work on mopars but trying to stick with the 115x5 bolt pattern but will lookin into it more, have to get the cam swap done first and tuned before going to the track.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
The Cobra R's are the cheapest route to go. Most guys don't have a problem with the bolt pattern, but I think you have to open up the hub area just a little bit to fit onto our cars from what I've heard.

The Racestars have a 5x115mm bolt pattern and come with hub centric rings. If you wait until Black Friday you can get them brand new for 40% off, pretty good deal for new wheels. I think the two rear wheels were $425 total.

You can go with a 275/50/17 on the Cobra R rims or as wide as a 305/45/17 on the Racestars. They're both 28" diameter so it shouldn't cause any issues with the computer either.

What cam are you installing in your engine?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info on the rim info and how wide a tire and tire size on the racestars cdahl383 and i am going with the inertia motorsports eagle plus cam in it in december so i wont be able to hit the track till when the open back up in spring. most are closed around my area in december.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
^ Cool man! What kind of hp/tq gains should you get with that cam?

I run a 305/45/17 M/T ET Street R on the back of the 17x9.5 wheel. It's a pretty beefy tire, think it's 11-12" wide with 10" of tread width. The fronts are just front runners only about 4.5" wide. Shaves a lot of weight off the car and helps with weight transfer when launching.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My goal is trying to hit 400hp, also going to be install with a set of long tubes, catless mid pipes and 180 tstat. will get it on the dyno asap after the cam is in to help get the car where it needs to be. and i was looking on summit at some and is 10in wide wheel in the back to much for the challengers or can it be ran without rubbing the inner fender inserts?

·
Registered
291 Posts
My goal is trying to hit 400hp, also going to be install with a set of long tubes, catless mid pipes and 180 tstat. will get it on the dyno asap after the cam is in to help get the car where it needs to be. and i was looking on summit at some and is 10in wide wheel in the back to much for the challengers or can it be ran without rubbing the inner fender inserts?
10" on back work just fine...

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Hoosiers dot 315’s on 17’s. Gonna get a taller tire next year but these are hooking up sooo much better!!!
Cant see the rims real good. Looks like maybe CobraR's?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just went with a whole new wheel and tire setup . No drag radials yet but i picked up a full set of bravado’s 18x9 and 18x10 which you can fit up to a 315 mickey thompson idk if that will hook well enough :p car is also on lowerig springs

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts