Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching way too may YouTube vids of Hellcats I decided to trade my '17 R/T for a '16 Hellcat with about 3K miles on it. Hardly know where to begin. Its sensory overload! Gforces? Scary? SuperCharger whine? I am 16 y.o again...but I digress. I am humbled by how little I know about this car. Is there a forum specfic to the drive mode set ups and what most peeps use? TIA Chuck S

·
Registered
756 Posts
Congrats on the HC upgrade!
I don’t know about a forum, but most people have discussed settings. The driver mode settings can be changed and your manual will step you through it. I keep mine all in 700+ hp setting. In Default i use all street settings, Sport I use all Sport settings, Track I use all Track settings. But my Custom I use for drag racing, so it is set to:
Trans - Track (for hard shifts)
Suspension - street (for better weight transfer)
Traction control - Sport (allows wheel spin, but controls yaw)
I daily drive in sport mode.
Also your transmission setting will determine exhaust valve operation.
Street - opens under heavy throttle
Sport - opens at lower rpms
Track - wide open always
Anyway, that is some of the basics.
Also car always goes to default on start up. I change to Sport after starting car. If i want to drag race or play, I hit the mode button twice to go into custom mode.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the HC upgrade!
I don’t know about a forum, but most people have discussed settings. The driver mode settings can be changed and your manual will step you through it. I keep mine all in 700+ hp setting. In Default i use all street settings, Sport I use all Sport settings, Track I use all Track settings. But my Custom I use for drag racing, so it is set to:
Trans - Track (for hard shifts)
Suspension - street (for better weight transfer)
Traction control - Sport (allows wheel spin, but controls yaw)
I daily drive in sport mode.
Also your transmission setting will determine exhaust valve operation.
Street - opens under heavy throttle
Sport - opens at lower rpms
Track - wide open always
Anyway, that is some of the basics.
Also car always goes to default on start up. I change to Sport after starting car. If i want to drag race or play, I hit the mode button twice to go into custom mode.
Hope that helps.
Hey DB. Seriously helpful. I was wondering about Sport mode and the advisability of driving in the mode all the time. The RT had a sport mode and allowed the car to delay shifting until RPM’s kicked up a bit but I guess I can drive the HC Inc sport mode all the time? Also for whatever reason the default mode shifts rapidly so at about 35 mph I am in fourth gear and it seems like the car lugs. Can the default setting be modified so the shift changes can be customized or is that just something’s that needs to set as a “custom” setting.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hey DB. Seriously helpful. I was wondering about Sport mode and the advisability of driving in the mode all the time. The RT had a sport mode and allowed the car to delay shifting until RPM’s kicked up a bit but I guess I can drive the HC Inc sport mode all the time? Also for whatever reason the default mode shifts rapidly so at about 35 mph I am in fourth gear and it seems like the car lugs. Can the default setting be modified so the shift changes can be customized or is that just something’s that needs to set as a “custom” setting.
Default has the transmission set to upshift at lower rpms to save gas (street setting). In sport it upshifts at higher rpms and downshifts more aggressively. That also changes the active exhaust as I mentioned before, it opens sooner at lower rpms.
Track mode on the transmission is very aggressive and will chirp the tires or break them loose on upshifts at WOT. Also downshifts a little too aggressive for street driving IMO.
No reason you can’t use sport mode all the time.
Also know the traction control settings for Street will control wheel spin and yaw (going sideways). In Sport it allows the tires to spin and only controls yaw (only intervenes if you go sideways). Track mode limits wheel spin, but allows some yaw).
If you hit the traction control button it’s like sport mode, if you hold it down it will turn traction control completely off. Which will allow you to get into trouble. Sport mode is the safest traction control setting as it allows wheel spin but won’t let you swap ends...lol. You have to go sideways a lot for it to intervene. Also why it is the best drag race setting IMO.
There is no way to change shift points. Transmission setting is the only way to make it shift different other than using the paddles.
Speaking of paddles, I keep them on in all my driver modes. Keep the shifter to the right and it stays in auto. If you want to shift manually, just use the paddle and it will switch. But it will time out if you don’t use it again soon. Also when using the paddles you can hit the rev limiter. One good thing is you can downshift with the paddle and it will automatically upshift for you. Also if you want to go to the lowest gear for your speed, just hold down the down shift paddle and then when it stops down shifting, punch it and it will upshift for you. Great for roll racing or aggressive passing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is great info! You write manuals for a living? Clear and concise and not a single "if your model is so equipped" blah blah. Great newbie basics. Going to play with these setting today. Took my "girl" to a local "coffee and cars" get together yesterday...beautiful day here in Maryland and about a hundred or more timeless works of art on display. Plenty of spectular yesteryear Mopars in attendance. Had to laugh when I pulled into a parking space away from the main "arena" as all eyes were on the HC as if I had brought the prettiest girl to the prom. Not so by any historical measure but surprised by what a "head turner" this car is.

·
Registered
756 Posts
This is great info! You write manuals for a living? Clear and concise and not a single "if your model is so equipped" blah blah. Great newbie basics. Going to play with these setting today. Took my "girl" to a local "coffee and cars" get together yesterday...beautiful day here in Maryland and about a hundred or more timeless works of art on display. Plenty of spectular yesteryear Mopars in attendance. Had to laugh when I pulled into a parking space away from the main "arena" as all eyes were on the HC as if I had brought the prettiest girl to the prom. Not so by any historical measure but surprised by what a "head turner" this car is.
No manual writing for me...lol. Glad you understood and I can help. It took me a while to figure all of this out.
Enjoy the car and experiment with the paddles from time to time. Yes they still turn heads! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts