Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a dss 4 "alluminum driveshaft install and a getrag rear end from hhp. Had a local shop do it. Got the car back and under any sort of heavy acceleration it vibrates. But i have no vibration at any speed unless under acceleration. Any one have any ideas? Also anyone know a good shop for hemis in salt lake city utah, thats not premier performamce? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Pw7 Bright White Challenger
4,656 Posts
Drive Shaft is not properly balanced or needs to be re-balanced would be first guess if this happens after the upgrades.
Other thing would be the Pinion Angle not set properly would be 2nd thing that comes to mind. At least that is where I would start and make sure
the torque is proper for the vehicle for all suspension components.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drive Shaft is not properly balanced or needs to be re-balanced would be first guess if this happens after the upgrades.
Other thing would be the Pinion Angle not set properly would be 2nd thing that comes to mind. At least that is where I would start and make sure
the torque is proper for the vehicle for all suspension components.
My guess is the pinion angle. Only because theres no vibration while cruising. Only under load. The car is lowered too so idk if that would make a differnce. Thqnks for the reply

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Let us know what you find out as the slightest angle off can make all the difference in that vibration and too long will break something or wear it out fast like the Yoke.

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
5,233 Posts
Smile Font Electric blue Art Symmetry

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After listening closely.. even under mormal driving theres a hissing noise. Rolled the windows down and its straigbt up scraping. Jacked it up temporarily, and and found the shaft to be rubning on the heat shild and the frame. Anyone have tbese issues? I removed the heat sheild and am going to buy a thin adhesive one. Tried grinding the frame where its rubbing. No luck
Gonna keep trying. Car is also lowered. I guess now im having a earance issue rsther than vibration.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
After listening closely.. even under mormal driving theres a hissing noise. Rolled the windows down and its straigbt up scraping. Jacked it up temporarily, and and found the shaft to be rubning on the heat shild and the frame. Anyone have tbese issues? I removed the heat sheild and am going to buy a thin adhesive one. Tried grinding the frame where its rubbing. No luck
Gonna keep trying. Car is also lowered. I guess now im having a earance issue rsther than vibration.
The Lowering changes the distance of the drive shaft so the shaft might need to be modified. Replacements are usually made for stock height of the Car which changes the geometry. The Two Piece ones since they flex is more forgiving for the lowering.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The Lowering changes the distance of the drive shaft so the shaft might need to be modified. Replacements are usually made for stock height of the Car which changes the geometry. The Two Piece ones since they flex is more forgiving for the lowering.
i dont see how this is the case with our cars. the center diff is connected to the body so low or 4x4 height the center diff is in the same position in relation to the transmission, one of the joys of independent suspension.

what i will add is dss says you need a diff and cradle lockout kit to install their one piece driveshaft and im guessing it is because the center diff needs to solid up to keep the driveline angles the same under load.

checkout bmr for the lockout kits, they look to be a fair amount of work to install

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
5,233 Posts
i dont see how this is the case with our cars. the center diff is connected to the body so low or 4x4 height the center diff is in the same position in relation to the transmission, one of the joys of independent suspension.

what i will add is dss says you need a diff and cradle lockout kit to install their one piece driveshaft and im guessing it is because the center diff needs to solid up to keep the driveline angles the same under load.

checkout bmr for the lockout kits, they look to be a fair amount of work to install
My differential brace was a pain to find, it took a couple of years, but an easy install. Even worse was my driveshaft loop, which I ended up having custom made.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay so i just spent another 5 hours under the car. I think ill need shims. It doesnt scrape any more unless i gas it. Then its pretty bad. If i lower everuthing just an 8th kf an inch it shouldnt hit

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,927 Posts
The driveshaft came to you with adapter plates on both ends, is that correct?

Many had earlier problems with balance of those driveshafts because they did not realize the driveshaft was balanced with those adapter plates exactly where they were, bolts and nuts included.

The end assemblies had to be taken apart and reassembled bolting them in place, exactly like you received them, and if you even swapped bolt positions. you threw off the balance.
There should have been specific instructions from DSS covering that?
If you did mix up the exact positioning of those adapter plates and bolts, you'll have to send the driveshaft to DSS, and get them to re-balance it. The newer 2015+ with CV joints both ends do not have that adapter plate alignment problem, but if it is shipped with the bolts already in the CV, don't relocate them.

The rear heat shield touching the driveshaft I had happen on mine, I removed it and replaced it with Design Engineering's adhesive backed heat shield, it is a much better product than the stock OEM shielding.

Floor & Tunnel Shield II™ - 21" x 48"

This shielding also comes in Black if you prefer but it is more expensive, this stuff is extremely sticky it is designed to stay once stuck, so be very careful with it. Use leather gloves to install it, it will filet you if you don't use gloves.

Edit: Quote from the Driveshaft Shop

This shaft will require a small spacer installed under the front mount of the diff (simple as removing the bolt and slipping it in) to ensure clearance on the rear section of the shaft. This is balanced like all shafts on our 9500rpm balancer so you know its done to the best standards available today.

Reactions: RonB

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Many had earlier problems with balance of those driveshafts because they did not realize the driveshaft was balanced with those adapter plates exactly where they were, bolts and nuts included.

The end assemblies had to be taken apart and reassembled bolting them in place, exactly like you received them, and if you even swapped bolt positions. you threw off the balance.
If you did mix up the exact positioning of those adapter plates and bolts, you'll have to send the driveshaft to DSS, and get them to re-balance it. The newer 2015+ with CV joints both ends do not have that adapter plate alignment problem, but if it is shipped with the bolts already in the CV, don't relocate them.

The rear heat shield touching the driveshaft I had happen on mine, I removed it and replaced it with Design Engineering's adhesive backed heat shield, it is a much better product than the stock OEM shielding.

This shielding also comes in Black if you prefer but it is more expensive, this stuff is extremely sticky it is designed to stay once stuck, so be very careful with it. Use leather gloves to install it, it will filet you if you don't use gloves.

It came two bushings that go o. Each end of the drivsahft. One was longer than the other. About 2.5 imch amd 3 inch. I cant gind any more away ill be grinding the gas tank.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wheel Bicycle part Rim Automotive tire Automotive wheel system

I got the two metal adapters platees pictured, i did not get the 2 black spacer things

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,927 Posts
My driveshaft setup is completely different than yours, mine has CV joints on both ends, you need to go through the driveshaft shop completely and tell them everything you are experiencing and posting here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts