Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got tired of seeing all of those ugly scratches on the rounded edge of my driver's side door sill and decided to buff those suckers out of my sight. Since this only happens on the driver's side and because I'm usually the sole occupant in my Challenger, I can only surmise the scratches come from me dragging my leg and ankle over the rounded door sill edge as I enter and exit the car.

Since I wear cotton jeans pretty darn near all of the time. the scratches (though ugly) would be light and correctable. I decided I could use a relatively "light" combo of a 4" diameter foam polishing pad with my dual action machine polisher and Meguiars Swirl-X, one of the least aggressive (low cut), consumer grade compound-polishes available over-the-counter. I poured some Swirl-X on my foam polishing pad and worked it in by hand to saturate the pad.

Since I knew I would have my machine polisher at an angle on the rounded sill edge, I took the extra step to cover my exposed interior to protect it from splatter.

I worked both the top and sides of the door sill, as well as the rounded edge. My polisher speed was set to 5 and I applied moderate pressure, making several passes over the scratched surfaces.

Here are the results after buffing off the polish residue with a clean microfiber towel. The one deeper scratch on the top of the sill will have to be wetsanded and buffed out, but overall the process worked to my satisfaction. :smileup:

Now I just have to take car as to how I enter my Challenger, or buy some door sills to protect the edges. :D

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
looks like you did a pretty nice job... no better color than black to show scratches... any chance you are considering door sill guards? i highly recommend the Mopar "CHALLENGER" sill guards...

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,456 Posts
Great Job, John!

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
I have the Challenger stainless sill plates and they still get those fine scratches on them. It has got to be dirt on the weatherstrip under the door doing it because I don't brush my leg getting in and out. Better to scratch the plate instead of the paint though.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I installed the sill guards and they too got scratched. I definitely don't drag my leg. It must be something underneath the door scratching them.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,405 Posts
I have the Challenger stainless sill plates and they still get those fine scratches on them. It has got to be dirt on the weatherstrip under the door doing it because I don't brush my leg getting in and out. Better to scratch the plate instead of the paint though.
John,
I agree with this post, because I also got the scratches, almost immediately after I put the sills on. I mostly just ignore them, I am not as talented as you at getting those out!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts