Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a couple "in-car" videos (although the camera was outside at the top of the windshield) from our trip to Talladega...

I bought three 5-lap sessions and drove the first. Unfortunately it was the 3rd session of the day and the first 2 groups weren't following the rules so the safety people slowed down the pace vehicles. So, our session was held back pretty good. We were going through the turns at maybe 60-70mph which made steering halfway up the track a fight...so I stayed down low. Figured why fight it. By the last lap I got brave and decided to try for some speed if the cars in front of me did. Well, they did...in a flash they took off coming out of a turn and I had lots of room ahead. Got up to 115mph before slowing down at the turn where the Corvettes ahead of me were.

Here's the video: http://vimeo.com/96375145#t=0s

I let me wife drive the second session. We pulled in line right behind Wayne (wayneanddonna) and I knew from talking with him that he'd lead her around to where she could go fast. Yes, I was nervous :). I went up on the Sprint platform to take pics and some video with the camcorder. The GoPro was running again at the top of the windshield. She did great and couldn't stop talking about how much fun it was. She topped out at 122mph.

Here's the video: http://vimeo.com/96375146#t=0s

I took the third session. Unfortunately my GoPro screwed up while I was waiting in pit lane. I started the camera recording and after a few seconds it beeped. I looked at it and it said the SD card was full. Didn't seem right but I didn't have time to mess with it. As it turned out, I had more than enough space on the card. I probably should have pulled the battery and restarted it. So, no video. But having gained confidence, and with a better group, we were rolling through the turns 90-100mph and coming off the turn I was able to hit 130mph before having to break. Shame I don't have video from the car.

I haven't looked at the video from the camcorder yet nor edited the pics we took. Will get to that eventually. Were some really cool cars there.

I had 2 or 3 odd things happen with the car that I've not figured out. The traction control light came on the dash and stayed on. Not the Mr Wiggly you see when you hit the traction control button to disable it, but the one that's generated by the computer. Plugged in my Trinity and it told me there were no codes stored. I hit clear codes anyway but it had no effect on the light. Second thing was on my 2nd session. I'd been using autostick. Going through the banked turns in 3rd, the engine sounded like it was cutting out. Happened 2 or 3 times. I wasn't going too fast for the gear and RPMs weren't exceedingly high but I don't know what was going on. I shifted back into full auto and ran the rest of the laps that way. Third thing and it has nothing to do with the track...all of a sudden my trunk lid would keep popping back open after I closed it. I finally decided to exercise the release from the remote and after that when I closed it, it seemed to stay shut.

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
Looks like a great time thanks for posting

·
Premium Member
18,509 Posts
Looks like you and your wife had a lot of fun supporting a good cause !

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Just watched both video's with my morning coffee Jim! What a great way to start my day! That was so cool! Really enjoyed watching and HEARING those laps! What a great way to spend an afternoon....I would LOVE to do that! Thanks so much for posting....and your wife ROCKS!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Thank looks like so much fun! I've been to Talladega once, but it wasn't for something like this! How do you find out when they offer open sessions like this? I wouldn't mind making the 4 hour trip and trying it myself! Thanks for sharing the videos! :smileup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Talladega with Jim MC

Hey Jim, it was really great meeting you and your wife. I know we had a blast again this year, hope you did also. I had a few issues this year with slow driving Corvettes. I was able to hit 139 or 142, depending on the speedometer or the GPS. That was our last lap on our final run.

Here's a couple "in-car" videos (although the camera was outside at the top of the windshield) from our trip to Talladega...

I bought three 5-lap sessions and drove the first. Unfortunately it was the 3rd session of the day and the first 2 groups weren't following the rules so the safety people slowed down the pace vehicles. So, our session was held back pretty good. We were going through the turns at maybe 60-70mph which made steering halfway up the track a fight...so I stayed down low. Figured why fight it. By the last lap I got brave and decided to try for some speed if the cars in front of me did. Well, they did...in a flash they took off coming out of a turn and I had lots of room ahead. Got up to 115mph before slowing down at the turn where the Corvettes ahead of me were.

Here's the video: http://vimeo.com/96375145#t=0s

I let me wife drive the second session. We pulled in line right behind Wayne (wayneanddonna) and I knew from talking with him that he'd lead her around to where she could go fast. Yes, I was nervous :). I went up on the Sprint platform to take pics and some video with the camcorder. The GoPro was running again at the top of the windshield. She did great and couldn't stop talking about how much fun it was. She topped out at 122mph.

Here's the video: http://vimeo.com/96375146#t=0s

I took the third session. Unfortunately my GoPro screwed up while I was waiting in pit lane. I started the camera recording and after a few seconds it beeped. I looked at it and it said the SD card was full. Didn't seem right but I didn't have time to mess with it. As it turned out, I had more than enough space on the card. I probably should have pulled the battery and restarted it. So, no video. But having gained confidence, and with a better group, we were rolling through the turns 90-100mph and coming off the turn I was able to hit 130mph before having to break. Shame I don't have video from the car.

I haven't looked at the video from the camcorder yet nor edited the pics we took. Will get to that eventually. Were some really cool cars there.

I had 2 or 3 odd things happen with the car that I've not figured out. The traction control light came on the dash and stayed on. Not the Mr Wiggly you see when you hit the traction control button to disable it, but the one that's generated by the computer. Plugged in my Trinity and it told me there were no codes stored. I hit clear codes anyway but it had no effect on the light. Second thing was on my 2nd session. I'd been using autostick. Going through the banked turns in 3rd, the engine sounded like it was cutting out. Happened 2 or 3 times. I wasn't going too fast for the gear and RPMs weren't exceedingly high but I don't know what was going on. I shifted back into full auto and ran the rest of the laps that way. Third thing and it has nothing to do with the track...all of a sudden my trunk lid would keep popping back open after I closed it. I finally decided to exercise the release from the remote and after that when I closed it, it seemed to stay shut.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
JIm - that looks like a blast!! I wonder if they do that at Pocono as well?

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wife and I went to Graceland today and I caught a look at my souvenir. Took another picture. The scratch runs from the chrome filler ring to where my finger is. I wonder if I can get my insurance to cover it as vandalism?

Looks like you and your wife had a lot of fun supporting a good cause !
Yeah, it was a great time. A lot of fun and contributing the the Veteran's charities makes it even better. We did miss the party the night before, but only because we go into town after it had already started. That sounded like it was great fun as well.

Just watched both video's with my morning coffee Jim! What a great way to start my day! That was so cool! Really enjoyed watching and HEARING those laps! What a great way to spend an afternoon....I would LOVE to do that! Thanks so much for posting....and your wife ROCKS!
Thanks Susie....she really jumped in. I was a bit surprised. Maybe she was more surprised though that I was willing to let her drive the car. Ha! She did really well. Said she just concentrated on keeping up with Wayne in front of her. Put it on your calendar, I'm sure it'll happen again next year over Memorial Day weekend. I'm 99% sure we'll be going back.

jim glad you had a great time and great video
Thanks Junior...it's a kick driving on a NASCAR track. And in a different way from Watkins Glen. Much more speed on the superspeedway.

Thank looks like so much fun! I've been to Talladega once, but it wasn't for something like this! How do you find out when they offer open sessions like this? I wouldn't mind making the 4 hour trip and trying it myself! Thanks for sharing the videos! :smileup:
I think they do it only on Memorial Day weekend...oops should say who "they" are....Vettes4Vets. I don't know for sure but I'd guess it's one of their biggest fundraisers of the year. I learned about it from Wayne on the forum here, after he drove last year and made sure to remember it for this year.

Hey Jim, it was really great meeting you and your wife. I know we had a blast again this year, hope you did also. I had a few issues this year with slow driving Corvettes. I was able to hit 139 or 142, depending on the speedometer or the GPS. That was our last lap on our final run.
Great to meet you and your wife too, Wayne. I'm glad I let my wife take the session we were both in. Originally I was going to drive that and let her take the 3rd, but having her follow you was the best thing for her I think. Gave her confidence to stick with you and she didn't have to wonder what the car could do safely. I want to better my top speed next year. My speedo is -2mph off according to the GPS.

JIm - that looks like a blast!! I wonder if they do that at Pocono as well?
That would be awesome. I'm sure all it would take is for an org to try and put some charitable benefit together with laps as the carrot on a stick to get people out. Keystone Challengers tried to set something up a couple/few years ago but it never happened because I think they wanted a certain number of people to do the NASCAR ride-along program they offer and the required number wasn't met, so it never came off. If I have that wrong, I think Junior (magnum) will straighten me out.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,170 Posts

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Jim, cool videos and what a great time and a great cause! It certainly looked like you and the wife were having a wonderful time! On a side note your car looks so different without the Shake. :wavey:

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
That must have been a very cool experience. :smileup::smileup:

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jim, cool videos and what a great time and a great cause! It certainly looked like you and the wife were having a wonderful time! On a side note your car looks so different without the Shake. :wavey:
Was a great time, Bob...I'd love it if more people from the board would go down. I'm sure the guy that sets the session lineups would put us all in the same sessions. Would look great to see a bunch of Challengers out there among the Corvettes and Camaros. There were 4 Challengers there, one was a SMS car and later on a SRT8 showed up in addition to mine and Wayne's.

You're right about the OEM hood. First thing I noticed when I put it back on was how much higher up it sits. I should have my Shaker parts next week and hopefully I'll put the Shaker on next weekend. :smileup:

That must have been a very cool experience. :smileup::smileup:
It's awesome Jon...I need to whisper this part (probably better than Watkins Glen due to the speed). You should take Big John's advice and go on the Watkins Glen trip though...it's a lot of fun too and you get to turn right :) :smileup:

This is an image from Jim's car cam with his wife driving and our car just out front.
I really need to edit my pix from the track...have some good ones of both of our cars out there.

Really nice video
Thanks man!

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,170 Posts
It's awesome Jon...I need to whisper this part (probably better than Watkins Glen due to the speed). You should take Big John's advice and go on the Watkins Glen trip though...it's a lot of fun too and you get to turn right :) :smileup:
Watkins Glen is MUCH more fun at the SRT Track Experience. The speeds are much, much faster than the tours. :smileup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts