Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to drive daily with traction and stability control off? Aside from the added safety of these systems being on, I've been enjoying driving with them off. This way I can tap that sweet sport mode button when I wanna cut lose on the open road. I just want to know if it's bad or rough on the engine. I don't have a heavy foot by nature so even going 80-85mph is exciting for me.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
57,291 Posts
Welcome from AZ, it is OK to drive with them off although I would be careful if road conditions are not good (weather).

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,212 Posts
Traction control/stability control don't kick in at 80 to 85mph. They are vehicle speed insensitive. They kick in when wheel speed sensor inputs indicate too much a difference in speed between the wheels.

If by "cutting loose" you trigger the traction control or stability control systems you are the person for which the safety systems were designed. My advice is to leave them on.

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
when you press the sport button, it turns off the traction control anyway

Reactions: Dodgeguy

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
hmmm, thats odd. i have a 19 scat and when the traction control light is lit, it means it is off. unless i have been wrong all this time. but i do know, when the light is on, that car is all wiggle butt, when the light is off, you can feel traction control kicking in
with my luck, i got the weirdo car

·
Registered
2018 plum crazy 392 T/A
122 Posts
Sport mode takes some of the traction control off..not all of it, there should be a little race flag on dash also when sport mode is on along with the traction control icon.

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
interesting, i have never noticed the flag, it says sport. now i will have to go look. i feel stupid

• Wow
Reactions: PRPHAZE

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it ok to drive daily with traction and stability control off? Aside from the added safety of these systems being on, I've been enjoying driving with them off. This way I can tap that sweet sport mode button when I wanna cut lose on the open road. I just want to know if it's bad or rough on the engine. I don't have a heavy foot by nature so even going 80-85mph is exciting for me.
Traction/stability control (for experienced drivers) are nothing more than electronic training wheels. Once that stuff’s disabled all one has left is whatever skill they have.

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
1,020 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
1,020 Posts
I drive mine in Track Mode all the time. I like the firmness of the suspension and the "nearly off" traction control.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hmmm, thats odd. i have a 19 scat and when the traction control light is lit, it means it is off. unless i have been wrong all this time. but i do know, when the light is on, that car is all wiggle butt, when the light is off, you can feel traction control kicking in
with my luck, i got the weirdo car
I think the light means it's on, unless I've been wrong this whole time! :unsure:

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Nope. Not on my Scat. Press Sport or Track and I need to press the button to turn off the traction control
Activating Sport on my T/A doesn't off Traction Control for me either. I have a separate button for that.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
57,291 Posts
On my Scat pushing the sport mode lights up the green flag and the traction control. The Charger it lights up the green flag but I have to push the traction control on the dash to get it to light up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome from AZ, it is OK to drive with them off although I would be careful if road conditions are not good (weather).
Thank you all for the wealth of info! I figured as much
Traction control/stability control don't kick in at 80 to 85mph. They are vehicle speed insensitive. They kick in when wheel speed sensor inputs indicate too much a difference in speed between the wheels.

If by "cutting loose" you trigger the traction control or stability control systems you are the person for which the safety systems were designed. My advice is to leave them on.
Lol I totally understand your concern, sir. I am not a reckless person. Got that outta my system in the Corps. I enjoy the simple things in life now. We have race tracks here where I can drive my car in an environment more fitting. Also alot of open road outside the city. I have a basic understanding of these systems put in place in these newer model cars. I just want to make sure I'm correct. Who better to learn from then you fine people! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Speedometer Trip computer Vehicle Odometer Tachometer
Speedometer Odometer Vehicle Tachometer Trip computer
Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Car Automotive lighting

got some pics to show you my 2019 scatpack
in eco/normal, traction control on with that green leaf
hit sport, all it says is sport and traction is off
same with track.
if i want traction control on while in sport and track, i have to hit the button.
if i am in regular eco/normal and want traction control off, i have to hit the button.
mine defaults to traction off in any other mode other than normal.
hope that helps in case your car does like mine

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
All of the nanny controls can be permanently disabled. The Dynamics Sensor is located in the geometric center of the car located under the console between the seats. It's also known as the "Lateral Acceleration and YAW Rate" sensor.
To show you that it exists, Here is the part number; 56029549AD Well anyway, You get to the wires going into it and you install a switch on the purple wire with the blue stripe. Now you can turn it on & off at will. Now you can barrel roll or flip the car end over end at will and there are no controls to stop you.
-John

·
Registered
326 Posts
To make sure it's completely off, press and hold the button until you hear a chime, about 5-6 seconds...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts