Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took advantage of this mornings nicer weather to install my E&G Classics Louvers. Overall I'm fairly happy with them for the price.

For the install:
1st. Taped off the back window
2nd I cleaned the glass off with 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water
3rd Installed weather stripping supplied on the louvers*
4th Installed the brackets and marked on the tape where the brackets would touch the glass with the 3m tape still on the brackets
5th Removed a bracket and used it to know where to apply 3m 94 tape primer
6th Re-installed the bracket and removed the tape backing (the 3m 94 needs to dry 5 mins and getting the tape backing off will almost take that long.
7th Re-installed the louvers pressing the brackets into the glued locations and removed the screw caps and the louvers.
8th Pressed the louver brackets in place and then re-installed the louvers.

Take it easy
Jay

*One tip for those doing the louver install. E&G suggested doubling up the all the weather stripping for the louvers. I tried this and found in along the top the louver was bowing so I opted on having the weather stripping along the top of the louvers only be one strip thick.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
She sure looks sexy!

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Louvers don't look good on every car.....but on your Challenger....they ROCK!!!! :smileup:

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
Goes well with your black spoiler and I think that makes the difference. :smileup:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have to get me some louver action. I love the way they look. I also want my spoiler black. Then i will be done on the outside....maybe. :gy:

I noticed you said "fairly" happy. What arent you totally happy with and where did you buy them?

·
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to get me some louver action. I love the way they look. I also want my spoiler black. Then i will be done on the outside....maybe. :gy:

I noticed you said "fairly" happy. What arent you totally happy with and where did you buy them?
I like them a lot and think they look great but in the corners along the top they are a little proud of the glass. I suspect that will change as they age. Cost no object I'd have gone with HHP louvers but figured these were very nice for less than 1/3 the price.

I bought them through never enough auto on Ebay. I originally wanted to go through carid but after multiple order delay notifications I opted to cancel and buy from another vendor.

Take it easy
Jay

·
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Goes well with your black spoiler and I think that makes the difference. :smileup:
Thanks before the adding the SRT 8 spoiler I felt like there wasnt enough black on the back of the car. After the spoiler was swapped I thought it helped balance things out and it looked better but the back still needed more black.

I think the louvers really help bring more black to the back of the car which I think pulls it all together for the retro AAR look I was after.

Thanks for the compliments
Take it easy
Jay

·
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Had one of the 8 mounting pads start to pry up today. Ironically the portion bonded to the glass with 3M 94 primer held strong it's the bracket to 3m tape bond that was failing. As the bracket cooled off while washing the car the metal bracket started to bond again but I figured I'd post it since it failed on the manufacture's side and others might have it happen as well.

I'm going to keep an eye on it but I might end up taking that bracket off scraping the glass off and then applying 94 primer to the bracket and then adding tape to the bracket. Then adding 94 primer to the window and rebonding the bracket to the window.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
64 Posts
E&G Louvers

I had the E&G Louvers on my 2011 Challenger before I traded it in.For the price,I think the louvers look great,MUCH better than previous plastic louvers I have seen.I had the same issue as you,mounting pads started to peel early on and I prepped the glass,etc prior to installation.I removed all the mounting pads and the mounting tape and replaced the mounting tape with 3 M Extreme Duty Mounting tape(Home Depot,Meijrs,Wal Mart).No further issues.On a related note I modded mine withHinges at the top instead of the top 2 mounting pads so I could lift them up to clean them without removing them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Where did you find the hinges? You would have had to stick them on the metal instead of the glass right? Just got me some RSI abs louvers in today that I ordered, plan on mounting them this weekend. They werre hard to turn down for $139 on Ebay!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got the hinges off the back glass of late 90s Ford.Explorer and reversed the pieces left hinge base with right hinge.Will make sense to you if you use those hinges.I found suv back glass hinges most closely resemble the hinges on metal louvers.I used 3m extreme duty tape.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Picked up some 3M Extreme mounting tape today at Home Depot, planing on installing the louvers tomorrow. Do any brick and mortor stores sell that "3M 94 Primer"? Looked online at Home Depot, Lowes and the Auto Parts stores and it don't seem like no local stores carry it. I take it you have to order it over the internet.

·
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered mine through Fellers and they sent it in a couples days. If you go through them they might ask for a company name, I told them it was for a hobby install in which case they will add your info as an installer and ship to the address you give them. Best of luck with the install.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
Picked up some 3M Extreme mounting tape today at Home Depot, planing on installing the louvers tomorrow. Do any brick and mortor stores sell that "3M 94 Primer"? Looked online at Home Depot, Lowes and the Auto Parts stores and it don't seem like no local stores carry it. I take it you have to order it over the internet.
I found mine at a local auto body supply shop :4-wavey:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts