Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 challenger rt. When i get on the highway and put my foot into it to pass someone it goes into ECO mode and loses power like it just lost 4 cylinders. I do see codes p0300 and p0301. I have changed all spark plugs and coil packs and the codes wont go away. Could this be a mds solenoid issue? Eco mode isnt supposed to kick in when your accelerating is it?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,084 Posts
It is not really switching to ECO mode is it? I mean do you see the mode change on the dash or wherever it is displayed? Assuming the answer is no...

Think the misfires make the engine run like it is in ECO mode. P0301 is cylinder #1 misfire. P0300 is misfires occurring in random/multiple cylinders. So it is more than just #1 cylinder misfiring.

You have changed the plugs and coil packs. Assuming you used the right plugs and they were correctly gapped it reads like the MDS acting up.

Not sure what is necessary to make a firm diagnosis. I had a car which manifested an engine problem. Tech made the diagnosis and replaced both a bank's variable valve timing solenoid and actuator. But the diagnosis wanted to be correct. The cost was approx. $3000. Solenoid and actuator cost was about half that $3000. But the diagnosis was correct. After replacing those items engine problem gone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you clear the code afterwards? Do you have any kind of pedal enhancer hooked up? Have you tried to do throttle reset?
Aftermarket Throttle Body?
I did clear the code but it popsback on after awhile. I just bought the car not long ago. I'll check and see if any throttle enhancements have been made. I'll do the throttle reset when I get home today. It looks like they had some good results with it on youtube.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is not really switching to ECO mode is it? I mean do you see the mode change on the dash or wherever it is displayed? Assuming the answer is no...

Think the misfires make the engine run like it is in ECO mode. P0301 is cylinder #1 misfire. P0300 is misfires occurring in random/multiple cylinders. So it is more than just #1 cylinder misfiring.

You have changed the plugs and coil packs. Assuming you used the right plugs and they were correctly gapped it reads like the MDS acting up.

Not sure what is necessary to make a firm diagnosis. I had a car which manifested an engine problem. Tech made the diagnosis and replaced both a bank's variable valve timing solenoid and actuator. But the diagnosis wanted to be correct. The cost was approx. $3000. Solenoid and actuator cost was about half that $3000. But the diagnosis was correct. After replacing those items engine problem gone.
Yes it actually shows up on the dash that eco mode comes on. So are you saying that by replacing the vvt solenoid and actuator it corrected the issue? Thanks for the reply back

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Yes it actually shows up on the dash that eco mode comes on. So are you saying that by replacing the vvt solenoid and actuator it corrected the issue? Thanks for the reply back
I don't think the variable valve timing/MDS hardware in your engine is bad. At least the behavior you report in my experience doesn't lead me to believe it is bad. There is a problem but not with the valve timing/MDS hardware. In my opinion.

The variable valve timing solenoid and actuator replacement I mentioned was with another brand of car. I mentioned replacing these items only emphasize the importance of making a proper diagnosis as replacing that kind of hardware is expensive. If the hardware is bad it is bad and needs to be replaced. But if it ain't bad...

Only my first Scat Pack, a 2018 model with an A8 transmission, had an Eco mode. Under some operating conditions it would operate on only 4 cylinders, which is referred to as MDS mode. I didn't like this feature so I used manual stick mode or some sport mode which disabled the MDS.

I only owned that car 2 months and put just over 2K miles on it.

My subsequent Challengers, a 2018 Hellcat (with an A8) and a 2020 Scat Pack (with a 6-speed), didn't come with MDS. The Hellcat had an Eco mode (of sorts) enabled by the use of the black key. I never used the black key. There might have been a way to put the Hellcat in some sort of less powerful mode but I never bothered to familiarize myself with the feature. The 2020 Scat Pack had skip shift but that is all it had in the way of any Eco mode as far as I know.

With the first Scat Pack in MDS mode any real application of the throttle had the engine switch to normal (8 cylinder) operation. IOWs giving the engine any throttle would not activate ECO (MDS) mode but deactivate it.

With the caveat I'm not a professional auto tech I think the reason for the behavior you are observing lies elsewhere. I think TheOldGuy with his suggestion to check fuel pressure is on to something. At least fuel pressure/supply issues need to be eliminated. It is part of the diagnostic process which wants to arrive at a correct diagnosis so just the bad stuff is replaced.

UPDATE: I revisited my 2020 Scat Pack owners manual and there is an Eco mode available. I never used it. And I can't see how or why it would be triggered by stepping on the gas pedal for instance when passing a slower vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm well I think you guys mite be onto something. When I first got the car I noticed it would go into eco when I floored it down the highway after a few minutes. Recently the fuel pump completely went on it while I was at a gas station when I tried to start it backup. I had a shop put a new pump in and it's running worse then before the pump went. I sent it back to the shop to check and make sure everything was good on the pump install and they said it was good and he saw a mds code this was after sitting there for 2 weeks for them to get to it. I don't see a mds code on my standard obd2 I only see misfire codes. I mite have to send this thing to a diffrent shop to verify the fuel pressure. BTW I still need to run rule out the mds by running in autostick and try and reset the throttle. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Hmmm well I think you guys mite be onto something. When I first got the car I noticed it would go into eco when I floored it down the highway after a few minutes. Recently the fuel pump completely went on it while I was at a gas station when I tried to start it backup. I had a shop put a new pump in and it's running worse then before the pump went. I sent it back to the shop to check and make sure everything was good on the pump install and they said it was good and he saw a mds code this was after sitting there for 2 weeks for them to get to it. I don't see a mds code on my standard obd2 I only see misfire codes. I mite have to send this thing to a diffrent shop to verify the fuel pressure. BTW I still need to run rule out the mds by running in autostick and try and reset the throttle. Thanks guys!
For the Challenger, its either Mopar or Denso. All other pumps are Chinese made and a P.O.S. They simply cause more problems than they are worth talking about. Correct fuel pressure and regulation are critical for this fuel injection system.
-John

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
It could be the fuel pump was not the problem. And the replacement pump can't help because, well, because the problem was not with the fuel pump.

Have to mention it is very important a scan tool that is Dodge aware be used. Auto makers are free to use some ranges of OBD2 codes as they see fit.

Codes starting with P1XXX are factory proprietary. Other ranges likewise but I don't recall off hand what they are.

That is a P1400 from a Dodge is a sign the ECM has been "tampered" with. But a P1400 code from another brand of vehicle can refer to an exhaust gas temperature problem, or an O2 sensor heater circuit.

What is being interpreted as an "MDS" error code may be related to some other part of the engine or car.

If you have the code google it: "2011 Dodge Challenger P (or U or B or ?) followed by the 4 digit number)" and see what turns up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so alittle update. As I said before I've been trying to track down a slight misfire then the fuel pump went. After I got a new fuel pump put in it started running like crap... completely misfiring and go straight into eco mode. I did notice that before I did any of your suggestions when I started it up and didn't put it into gear and stomped on the gas it sounded fine. The problems all started when I put it into gear in automatic mode. The first thing I tried was the recalibrate the throttle. It did seem to make a diffrent but didn't help much with the eco mode issue. The next thing I did was put it into autostick and went driving down my favorite backroad and life was good again. Now the weird part is I put it back In automatic and got on the highway and everthing seemed back to normal with the slight misfire. I took it home shut it down then started it backup and went down the road again and everything still seems good. Not sure if it just had to relearn something while I was in autostick or what. Thanks everyone for all the info!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts