Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, its starting, I'm starting to hear creeking and sqeeking when I go over certain bumps, I suspect some ice, salt, sludge got into the shocks , springs, or rocker arms, (kind of like arthritus in a car) really has me pissed, next oil change I'm going to ask my guy to detail the under carriage. this is only the beginning to

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
All it takes is one winter in a salt state. my Dad bought a brand new Dodge Caravan Town & Country, stowngo, top of the line etc. He drove the van through one winter around town as he is retired and the following winter he noticed there was rust bubbles on both rocker panels. Took the van to the dealer and sure enough both sides had rust bubbles and in fact there were actual holes rotted and both sides had to have the rockers cut out and replaced etc.

Now my Dad is pretty good about running his van through the local car wash and in the Buffalo area they have a really good drive through chain named "Delta Sonic Super Kiss" and they have an unlimited car wash plan for X amount per month which my Dad always does especially during the winter.

Anyway, after living in the Buffalo area for several years of my life, I have seen what winters and salt can do to a vehicle. Just one winter can be quite destructive on a vehicle. I never knew just how bad until I we moved down here and I bought a 92 Caprice LTZ that lived it's entire life here in FL. The car had 90k miles on it and never left the State and the car was as if it were BRAND NEW underneath. I had never seen anything like it in my life. I put that car on a lift and all the little brake line clips etc. were absolutely FLAWLESS. A car from up north after one winter, those little clips, screws/bolts are rusted and toast!

I truly feel for anyone who doesn't have the option to put their Challenger away for the Winter. IF I had to live up North again, I would NEVER drive my car in that mess not even one day!

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,112 Posts
I drove my Challenger this winter, but I live in SW South Dakota, and in the rural areas salt is not used too much. I never drive when the roads are icy or wet anyway, so we just don't see that much of a problem here.

·
More Than Just A Car
20,784 Posts
Some of us up north are very lucky that we can store our challengers . I highly doubt I would have my car if I didn't have the garage !
X2 , I know if I didn't have a garage I would not have my Challenger as well, I would feel better if the garage was bigger and heated though. :)

Would having the undercoating sprayed on be of any help? some like the undercoating some don't, I don't have an opinion either way, but one would think that it would protect the car.

·
Registered
12,279 Posts
I understand your pain Turboman, we live in pretty much the same snow / salt zone. I know I wouldn't have bought the PCP if I didn't have another vehicle to drive during the winter. I understand not everybody can afford, or has the space, for a second vehicle, and it sux to have to see these babies get thrashed from the salt. You know as well as I do how the late '60s & early '70s cars looked after only five years or so of year 'round driving in our area -that's why you can't find an old car around here that has original skin & floorpans.
Don't let the evil salt demons have your car for lunch!! Find a place where you can get it up on a rack and take a pressure washer to it once the winter weather seems to be over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.