Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i've installed the Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs over a week ago. And ever since everytime I take a 90 degree left turn (or u-turn) at parking speed (1 -10 mph) I hear a faint but present noise "POB!" from the front ... Like something was pressured then released, the noise only happens once (per turn).

I took it back to my local dealership and they spent hours trying to figure out what was causing the sound ... Not a clue, they said "it's not stock" which I didn't buy. But they assured me that they tightened everything to spec and the noise wasn't harming any components at all.

The car rides and looks amazing, no rattling or squeaking noises at all when driving.

I figured i should give the springs more time to properly settle before taking it back and demanding a solution or at least an explanation.

I was just wondering if anyone here had this problem or knows what to do?

Thank you.

~mjeida

·
Registered
243 Posts
It could be the spring winding and unwinding as it compresses ... as it compresses, the coils "grow" longer, moving in the seat. It may bind a little, then pop to free up.

Can you replicate the sound without moving? Can someone next to the wheel help isolate the source as you're turning the wheel, even if walking beside as you go 1mph? Inside or outside wheel?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be the spring winding and unwinding as it compresses ... as it compresses, the coils "grow" longer, moving in the seat. It may bind a little, then pop to free up.

Can you replicate the sound without moving? Can someone next to the wheel help isolate the source as you're turning the wheel, even if walking beside as you go 1mph? Inside or outside wheel?
First off, thanks for the quick reply.

I suppose so, I recall once hearing the noise as I was stationary and turning the wheel. I'll do that tomorrow and see if I could isolate the sound.

Any ideas so far as to how to solve this issue? And do you think it is serious?

·
Registered
243 Posts
First off, thanks for the quick reply.

I suppose so, I recall once hearing the noise as I was stationary and turning the wheel. I'll do that tomorrow and see if I could isolate the sound.

Any ideas so far as to how to solve this issue? And do you think it is serious?
It's hard to say if it's serious or not without being there. If you don't feel anything unusual in your driving experience I would say it's not serious, but I'm not a fan of unusual noises myself. Initially I lean towards not being serious, but I'd keep a keen ear out for it becoming more frequent or louder.

You could pull the springs out and see if there are rub marks or even "skips" in the spring seats, top and bottom. Also check the cut ends of the springs and see if there are any burs that might be catching. If you see anything like this you can file the bur down.

A "pop" sound is usually indicative of something binding then releasing. This _should_ leave behind some trace of that, but sometimes that may be hard to find (like inside a bearing).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's hard to say if it's serious or not without being there. If you don't feel anything unusual in your driving experience I would say it's not serious, but I'm not a fan of unusual noises myself. Initially I lean towards not being serious, but I'd keep a keen ear out for it becoming more frequent or louder.

You could pull the springs out and see if there are rub marks or even "skips" in the spring seats, top and bottom. Also check the cut ends of the springs and see if there are any burs that might be catching. If you see anything like this you can file the bur down.

A "pop" sound is usually indicative of something binding then releasing. This _should_ leave behind some trace of that, but sometimes that may be hard to find (like inside a bearing).

I'm not really experienced enough to work on it myself. I'll be sure to keep an ear for any change in the noise tone before taking it back to the dealership, i'll be sure to let them check if there is any scratches or wear on any of the components connected to the springs.

Thank you so much, you really put together a comprehensive check-system :smileup:

I'll keep you updated ^_^

·
Banned
42 Posts
A guy brought me his challenger after he had springs installed and it was making noise. He and his friend looked at everything.

I found that his top front shock nut was not tightened all the way. It was about 3/4 of a turn loose and that was it.

Double check the nuts, be sure to hold the shock while you turn the nut.
If you dont have a correct tool, You can achieve this by using a large deep socket on the nut, and a 1/4
drive 8 mm socket on a extension to hold the shock stem.
Hold the large socket with a pair of vice grips and the 8mm with a ratchet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts