Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 2014 Challenger SXT, i am having some major Electrical issues.
The other day while i was driving all sensor lights came on and the car became unresponsive, the snifter kept getting locked and it would not drive out of first gear, no keyfob found, and speedometer was all over the place. I found a video on youtube with the same issue.

It turned out the problem was the Alternator, i contacted the dealer and confirmed i had a recall on alternator but after they replaced it i still have same issue.

Here is the link to the video..

·
Premium Member
12,477 Posts
Back to the dealer, they should have tested the car before they gave it back to you...

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
May have took the battery out when it went. Low voltage (and it does not take much) reeks havoc on the electrical system.
That is an excellent point!

We had an older Cadillac that did exactly that, why? I have no idea?

@jjchingon

When the service dept changed your alternator their procedure was to just disconnect the negative battery terminal, they may not have even looked at the positive cable for any corrosion buildup, since you own a 2014, I would check that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update.

I removed the battery completely and left it our for 24 hrs. and it cleared all errors except for the the power steering pump not sure if this is what caused the problem initially but i was not having any issues with steering during the failure.

I'am having a though time believing that the dealer would not disconnect the battery for some tome to allow the computer to learn the system again and clear all applicable errors before letting me take the car.

I will send and update once i get a hold of a steering pump and gets replaced.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
How old is your battery?

Reactions: John C.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Its the Original Battery, was attached to a tester by mechanic and checked out Ok.

Am sure it would not hurt replacing it.
Over the years I have owned several batteries that "tested good" but were not and/or had intermittent problems. With a 5+ year old battery I would replace it first.

Reactions: Dodgeguy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last update guys,

Car is running great..

after removing battery and clearing most errors, car started and now it gave me a new error indicating to service Power steering.

Since then i replaced the pump with an aftermarket unit i got thru Rockauto.... So am glad i did not go with the Dealer proposal of paying 6 hours of labor to diagnose the issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts