Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm wondering how people have liked the engine cover overlays for the "ribs" on the engine cover and the 5.7L V8 portion of the cover. I started painting my cover this weekend thinking I'd go with the chrome overlays in each spot and I'm now wondering if how the overlays hold up if they stay flat etc?

Figured I'd check on the forums to see what the general opinion is of them.

Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
275 Posts
i have them on my engine cover(red) just make sure you clean them real good and use an adhesive promoter on each rib before you lay them down, mine have been on for over a year and no problem

·
Premium Member
18,482 Posts
I've read on some of the product websites that the chrome overlays are more sensitive to scratches than some of the other finishes. I like the chrome myself.
MoparMom has a nice chrome setup on hers.If she sees this thread,I'm sure she'll chime in for you.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
I do have the chrome overlays and engine shroud. Definitely have to prep and follow directions. Mine has been on over a year now.....no issues. You do have to take care when cleaning them as well.

Reactions: MIDNITE RT

·
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info folks I'm thinking I'll go ahead and order some. I'm wanting to add louvers in the near future so I was already getting ready to buy pro-bond so at least I'll have something else to use it for.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,445 Posts
Susie, was it hard to do?

·
Banned
149 Posts
I have overlays on my cover as well. I went with reflective orange and a piece of white vinyl for the center section. Prep work is the key. and take your time putting them on. Be gentle or the vinyl (non chrome) will stretch and look kind of weird in spots.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Susie, was it hard to do?
Not at all Betty. As I said....cleaning and prepping the area is crucial. The rest is just placing the pieces carefully. Easy Peasy!

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Im not sure if you bought the whole cover or put the stainless on yourself..I found the whole cover already done and I have ordered it from Shophemi.com..Great price..$139.00..
I actually put the stainless on the cover myself.....it was part of the kit. Good job on getting the whole cover for a great price! Post a pic. when you can!:smileup:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Im not sure if you bought the whole cover or put the stainless on yourself..I found the whole cover already done and I have ordered it from Shophemi.com..Great price..$139.00..
$139 for the whole cover done? Please post a link.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Found some pretty good deals on covers at PFYC (parts for your car). Been browsing the internet all morning, this is just one of the site I saved...prices aren't bad. :smileup:

·
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The company I'm looking at is reflective concepts they sell the lettering for the top of the engine covers in different colors for ~$12.00 and the stripe overlay for ~$15.00. I'm not sure on a source for the hemi lettering quite yet but I'm hoping to keep the stock silver HEMI letters.

Just added a shot of where the engine cover is currently at I'm masking the center so I can paint it black and clear coat it. Then I'll probably mask the center off and add a last coat of red and then clear it and then want to add chrome overlays.

Take it easy
Jay

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
The company I'm looking at is reflective concepts they sell the lettering for the top of the engine covers in different colors for ~$12.00 and the stripe overlay for ~$15.00. I'm not sure on a source for the hemi lettering quite yet but I'm hoping to keep the stock silver HEMI letters.

Just added a shot of where the engine cover is currently at I'm masking the center so I can paint it black and clear coat it. Then I'll probably mask the center off and add a last coat of red and then clear it and then want to add chrome overlays.

Take it easy
Jay
Looks amazing so far! Can't wait to see it finished!

·
Banned
149 Posts

Take it easy
Jay
looks great.... You can ask the people at reflective Concepts... That is who did mine. I recently had one of the stickers get lost during cleaning and they sent me replacements at no charge... IMO great way to promote repeat business and to build a good customer base. I would definitely go back to them for repeat business.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts