Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to do my homework and I’m new so correct me if I’m wrong but is it possible to swap 3.5L or 3.6L engine for 6.2L or 6.4L engine ? I have a 2015 Sxt that’s well maintained and recently bought a salvaged 2016 HC (hellcat) From a friend for a great price with minor front end damage as far as like the body goes.. I really like working on cars specifically mines and I’m just learning and I know it will probably be a pain in the a** but I was only curious.. thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am eventually but it’ll be too easy for me to fix I’m kinda doing like a personal car project as well and wondered if I could swap the engines out

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,012 Posts
Could you, yes will you be totally successful, chances are slim. There is so much more involved. Even if you get the motor and transmission installed getting all the electronics working correctly will need intervention from a higher authority. The better thing would be to take all the broken parts and replace them with the good parts from the SXT.

·
Registered
2017 T/A 392 Destroyer Gray
575 Posts
It's not just motor and trans, it's rear end, suspension, brakes, and electronics which will be the biggest issue. It would be pretty unsafe to put a hellcat motor in an sxt without doing all the proper upgrades of everything else.

Unless you really like a ton of stress, headaches and throwing tons of money at a project that will probably have tons of issues and possibly not work at all, just fix the hellcat. Way cheaper and way less headaches involved.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I did a supposedly super easy 3.9 to 5.9 V6 to V8 swap on my 2000 Dodge Dakota. Yeah right, had the send the computer back twice and the computer still wouldn't fire #7 and #8 injectors. Even another 2000 5.9 ECM won't fire them, got the harness with the engine, triple checked their position. I ended up piggy backing off the the too injectors the fire just before in the firing order. I also had to add manual toggle switches to manual override the lock up converter and 4th gear. Better than the 3.9 but not as good as it should be. You need motor, trans and rear plus ECM from the Hellcat. I considered a swap for my 2010 SXT but anything but a 3.5 except maybe a 4L, Sam family, would have been a ton of work. Best to trade it in, so we did.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
1,847 Posts
It's not as easy as it seems to swap a V6 to a Hemi. Alot involved including sensors, wiring, transmission and who knows what else. The crate engine packages are intended for pre-1976 vehicles that don't have all the nonsense in modern OBDII vehicles. Probably cheaper to just buy a Hemi powered car and build an engine to your needs.

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
3,918 Posts
It would cost less to repair the Hellcat, and then you won't have to deal with the issues everyone stated, which will included replacing the entire drive train and all of the wiring, sensors and PCM.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
1,847 Posts
If the Hellcat can't be repaired, maybe find a good V8 car with a bad engine.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,490 Posts
Just trying to do my homework and I’m new so correct me if I’m wrong but is it possible to swap 3.5L or 3.6L engine for 6.2L or 6.4L engine ? I have a 2015 Sxt that’s well maintained and recently bought a salvaged 2016 HC (hellcat) From a friend for a great price with minor front end damage as far as like the body goes.. I really like working on cars specifically mines and I’m just learning and I know it will probably be a pain in the a** but I was only curious.. thanks in advance guys
If you want to put the HC engine in the SXT my advice is to find someone who has been down this path. Ideally you would want to see the car first hand to know how well the swap went. Often the swap takes place the engine gets installed but dealing with all the other issues becomes more work and the car is never really finished.

Really though unless you are engine swap God my advice would be to sell the SXT and the HC with the salvage title and put the money towards a nice used Scat Pack with the 6.4l engine or even a nice used HC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts