Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed a ticking noise and can not determine if it is something I should be concerned about or if it is normal valve train noise. Car is an m6, 9000 miles. The video was taken in a drive through because you can hear better when reflected on the wall. I hear it at idle or speed below 15mph.

I have an 18 second video and 22 second video but not sure where I can post them or how to link. Said file to big when I tried to upload.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
37,532 Posts
Most videos need to be uploaded to a host site like YouTube and linked here.

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Are you sure it's not just the injectors making noise? My old 5.7L made a ticking type noise but really I think it was the injectors. My 6.4L is the same way. I never worried about it too much. My old R/T had 70K on it when I traded it in and still ran great with no issues, and the Scat Pack is at 20K miles with no issues yet. Think it's just the nature of the beast.

But if you can post up your video here via Youtube then maybe we could take a listen and help you confirm that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Are you sure it's not just the injectors making noise? My old 5.7L made a ticking type noise but really I think it was the injectors. My 6.4L is the same way. I never worried about it too much. My old R/T had 70K on it when I traded it in and still ran great with no issues, and the Scat Pack is at 20K miles with no issues yet. Think it's just the nature of the beast.

But if you can post up your video here via Youtube then maybe we could take a listen and help you confirm that.
X2 my 5.7 in my ram does it too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine has it too. Figured it was typical for the 6.4 since its brand new and shouldn't be making any noises that isnt normal.

·
Premium Member
12,626 Posts
Sounds like the famous "HEMI" tick to me....

Reactions: JTR18SHAKER

·
Registered
127 Posts

My '13 RT Challenger is the same way....95k and takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 v6 Challenger that was making a bad ticking sound on the right bank. I took it to Dodge yesterday and a lifter seized. They changed all 12 lifters on the right bank plus the intake cam. It was all covered under the powertrain warrante. Much much quieter now..

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
2 Posts
At 13321 miles I noticed a ticking sound when mine was idling. I got out my stethoscope and it was coming from my water pump. When I got another 50 miles on the odometer it started leaking coolant around the shaft of the pump. Once I replaced the water pump there was no more ticking.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Noticed a ticking noise and can not determine if it is something I should be concerned about or if it is normal valve train noise. Car is an m6, 9000 miles. The video was taken in a drive through because you can hear better when reflected on the wall. I hear it at idle or speed below 15mph.

I have an 18 second video and 22 second video but not sure where I can post them or how to link. Said file to big when I tried to upload.
Yup where I notice it too, at the drive through. the sound bounces off the wall.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts