Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Exhaust questions

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ShadRat 
#1 ·
Guys:

I'm going to be upgrading the exhaust of my R/T this spring. Stock except for a K&N drop-in filter and a Petty Racing strut tower brace.

I've been doing research, and I'm going with the Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back series.

On their site, I noticed they now have shorty headers available for the 5.7.

Forgive my automotive ignorance, but what else would I need if I wanted to run a header-back system to the the cat-back exhaust? I'm lost on the whole "mid-pipe" or "high-flow cats" thing.

What sort of power addition could one realistically expect over stock with such a set up?

Thanks in advance for any input.

#2 ·
Get a set of 6.1 or 6.4 (392) SRT OEM manifolds and mid pipes, then get the cat back of choice but for the SRT to match the mid pipes. You can find the SRT OEM manifolds and mids used on this and other forums for a lot less money and they will flow better than shortys made for the 5.7.

#3 ·
With an upgraded exhaust and freer flowing headers a realistic expectation would be maybe 10-15HP.

With shorty headers you should not need mid pipes and you won't have to mess with the catalytic converter. As mentioned if you go with the OEM SRT manifolds you will also need the mid pipes.

#4 ·
Thanks guys.

I bit the financial bullet and went ahead and ordered the Magnaflow Comp. Series cat-back (PN 16516) instead of the somewhat more affordable Flowmaster just this morning from Speedlogix.

Looking forward to getting the car out of storage and giving it a new voice, while picking up a few HP as well as dropping some weight on the car.

Deleting the stock resonators (which I plan on doing) will save how much weight? Apparently Magnaflow also offers shorty headers, but I might have to wait a couple of months for those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.