Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I’m on the verge of getting something new as far as my exhaust setup. I currently have the mid muffler delete but to me it’s to much rasps and not enough deep growl. I am currently thinking about the cat back system from Borla ATAK. My question is what is the pros and cons of going with a 3 in. Exhaust is it worth it, and do you have some Dyno runs with the 3 in. Exhaust which back some of it up. If there are some other way I can achieve the sound I’m looking for let me know as well. I have the super 10s reso delete on charger which gives me the sound buts it’s to low to me. Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hey everyone I’m on the verge of getting something new as far as my exhaust setup. I currently have the mid muffler delete but to me it’s to much rasps and not enough deep growl. I am currently thinking about the cat back system from Borla ATAK. My question is what is the pros and cons of going with a 3 in. Exhaust is it worth it, and do you have some Dyno runs with the 3 in. Exhaust which back some of it up. If there are some other way I can achieve the sound I’m looking for let me know as well. I have the super 10s reso delete on charger which gives me the sound buts it’s to low to me. Thanks in advance everyone.
No real benefit to 3" over the 2.75" that's on there now, not gonna hurt either with the 392's HP numbers.

I got a 3" catback on mine, only thing that changed was sound, and the jerkyness in first in a parking lot has gone away/smoothed out which was an unexpected but welcome addition to the increased sound I got with the system.

No dyno run needed. I bolted it up and after a few miles pulled the fuse for a few minutes which does nothing in my opinion. I guess the way I drive makes pulling the fuse pointless.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No real benefit to 3" over the 2.75" that's on there now, not gonna hurt either with the 392's HP numbers.

I got a 3" catback on mine, only thing that changed was sound, and the jerkyness in first in a parking lot has gone away/smoothed out which was an unexpected but welcome addition to the increased sound I got with the system.

No dyno run needed. I bolted it up and after a few miles pulled the fuse for a few minutes which does nothing in my opinion. I guess the way I drive makes pulling the fuse pointless.

Good luck.
So if you would have done it over again you would probably say it isn’t worth it performance wise. ?

·
Registered
558 Posts
So if you would have done it over again you would probably say it isn’t worth it performance wise. ?
Exhaust mods aren't about performance, just sound. I hated how quiet my 392 was and I especially hated the stupid active exhaust, so I got a catback. Now I have 3" pipes, no active exhaust, no resonators, and the "mufflers" are basically a piece of 4" pipe with 3 little baffles in them, when you look through the muffler it's straight through. I pretty much have straight pipes without the raspy sound of actual straight pipe exhaust.

Yes, I would have done it again without question, but no, there is no performance gain. 3" pipe or stock size makes no difference on the 392 so don't worry about that either.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the 3” hurst on mine. Like states above I mainly did it to improve the sound and I liked the polished quad tips. Only paid $650 for the 304 stainless setup.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Exhaust mods aren't about performance, just sound. I hated how quiet my 392 was and I especially hated the stupid active exhaust, so I got a catback. Now I have 3" pipes, no active exhaust, no resonators, and the "mufflers" are basically a piece of 4" pipe with 3 little baffles in them, when you look through the muffler it's straight through. I pretty much have straight pipes without the raspy sound of actual straight pipe exhaust.

Yes, I would have done it again without question, but no, there is no performance gain. 3" pipe or stock size makes no difference on the 392 so don't worry about that either.
Can you Please tell me how you got rid of active exhaust? I know that you can turn it off by shifting to sport or track mode, but I'd like it off all of the time. Thanks in advance.

To the OP, I've got the 3" Solo exhaust with no resonators or mufflers and I'd say that according to my SOTP (Seat of the pants), it lost a little bit of low end, but feels a bit better in the mid range/top end charge. As for the sound.........Cold starts are intoxicating and she sounds like she's ready to bite someone's head off (sounds loud, mean and ticked off) and I Really like that! While driving it's easy to hold a conversation until you step on the pedal and then she gets a little loud and then when you let off of the gas, it burbles and pops and just makes me smile!

Ruby on cold start.............

Sorry for both the blurry video and for the following double post. I was learning my new phone for the video and this new forum layout for the posts. My Apologies for both. As far as the exhaust, the video doe it NO justice because she's considerably louder in person!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Can you Please tell me how you got rid of active exhaust? I know that you can turn it off by shifting to sport or track mode, but I'd like it off all of the time. Thanks in advance.

To the OP, I've got the 3" Solo exhaust with no resonators or mufflers and I'd say that according to my SOTP (Seat of the pants), it lost a little bit of low end, but feels a bit better in the mid range/top end charge. As for the sound.........Cold starts are intoxicating and she sounds like she's ready to bite someone's head off (sounds loud, mean and ticked off) and I Really like that! While driving it's easy to hold a conversation until you step on the pedal and then she gets a little loud and then when you let off of the gas, it burbles and pops and just makes me smile!

Sorry for the blurry video. I was just learning how to use my new phone. Also, the video does her bark NO justice! She's quite a bit louder in person. :)

·
Registered
558 Posts

Sorry for both the blurry video and for the following double post. I was learning my new phone for the video and this new forum layout for the posts. My Apologies for both. As far as the exhaust, the video doe it NO justice because she's considerably louder in person!
You're not turning active exhaust off in sport mode, rpm's stay higher in sport mode so it sounds a tiny bit louder but it's still functioning the same way in sport mode as it is in the default mode.

The catback system I bought has no valves in the pipes, there is a little bracket on each of the pipes that you mount the active exhaust motor to, so it sits there spinning nothing and tricking the system into thinking it's doing something but it does nothing.

Works like the delete kits out there, but the difference is mine has an empty and unobstructed pipe. The delete kits still trick the system but there is still the valve in the pipe, even though it's open, it's an obstruction to the flow. I think it's funny how there is so much concern about using mandrel bent pipe, etc, to keep from having any turbulence affecting flow of exhaust, yet dodge decides to stick that gigantic flat washer valve in the pipe constantly impeding flow, even when fully open. But I digress...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts