Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand some people change there exhaust out for noise and what not but is there a advantage running smoother or better acceleration by doing any of it? Like mid muffler delete or taking off the Catalytic Converters ?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Good question, I don’t think that’s been asked before and I would say probably not to smoother? but I think the OEM got it right on 15+ they just need to add a button like Mustang!...for me, the days of fumbling around with exhausts solely for obnoxious noise levels are over!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Deleting the mufflers will provide no performance gain. Deleting the cats would provide a very small performance gain but requires a tune and it's also highly illegal.
I have a tuner. For as illegal goes so is doing 1/4 miles in the country on public roads so you know.......

·
Registered
196 Posts
I understand some people change there exhaust out for noise and what not but is there a advantage running smoother or better acceleration by doing any of it? Like mid muffler delete or taking off the Catalytic Converters ?
you can get high flow cats for keeping it stock style and not needing tuning, you can also get high flow mufflers and such, the gain is going to be very small though unless you have accompanying engine mods to take advantage of the extra flow, i.e. intake, headers, bigger throttle body etc, most people do it just to have it louder or sound more "aggressive". I think the illegal comment comes from needing it there in places that do emissions testing and such and require it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you can get high flow cats for keeping it stock style and not needing tuning, you can also get high flow mufflers and such, the gain is going to be very small though unless you have accompanying engine mods to take advantage of the extra flow, i.e. intake, headers, bigger throttle body etc, most people do it just to have it louder or sound more "aggressive". I think the illegal comment comes from needing it there in places that do emissions testing and such and require it
Thanks for the info. I live in IL so they do not test in my County. I have no use for louder exhaust them days are long gone. But I do like a smoother sound and quicker response throttle wise just was not sure if that would help on the back end.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks for the info. I live in IL so they do not test in my County. I have no use for louder exhaust them days are long gone. But I do like a smoother sound and quicker response throttle wise just was not sure if that would help on the back end.
not sure what year your car is but if it's newer then run it in sport mode, really make the throttle response better, you can get things like pedal commander that change the way the throttle input is as well that will make it seem like you get better response as well

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Don't really matter if your county or state tests for emissions...removing a catalytic converter and driving it on the street is a federal crime.

It's called tampering with emissions...they are also going after diesel guys for the same things.....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Don't really matter if your county or state tests for emissions...removing a catalytic converter and driving it on the street is a federal crime.

It's called tampering with emissions...they are also going after diesel guys for the same things.....
didn't those diesel brothers guys just get fined like 500k or something like that for tampering with emissions systems on diesels

·
Registered
798 Posts

Exactly.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts