Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just upgraded to the flowmaster american thunder system. This is the same system I had under my 13 R/T. It sounds a crap load different on this car than it did on the 13, a lot crisper, don't know the difference but there is a noticeable sound difference. I parked it right next to my old one and we lit them both up, the shaker sounds a ton better. On another note, the factory exhaust on the Shaker, and probably the 14s across the board is different. It is one piece all the way back and does not come apart in sections (no welds, just straight pipes). Appears that the mufflers and resonators are slightly different over 13 as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i have been looking at that system, did you order online or pick it up local? at first i thought the stock exhaust sounded weak but after 3000 miles i think it is starting to improve....if thats possible. i have been toying with just replacing the mufflers instead bc of it.

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered it off Amazon, one supplier was running a deal for $620 and I had a bunch of points on my card I applied to it. Ended up paying $560 for it, last time I payed $760 for it shipped. One vendor on amazon is running it right now for $692, everyone else is $702. Autozone has it listed at $708, if you had military friends or are former military, you can knock 10% of that and make it $638 before tax. Advance has it at $702 with the same 10% for military. Part number 817479.

HOWEVER, if you are not into a really aggressive sound, this would not be the system for you. It does increase cabin noise by about 20db at normal throttle, it is very "throaty" at WOT. What you would expect a muscle car of this caliber to sound like.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just upgraded to the flowmaster american thunder system. This is the same system I had under my 13 R/T. It sounds a crap load different on this car than it did on the 13, a lot crisper, don't know the difference but there is a noticeable sound difference. I parked it right next to my old one and we lit them both up, the shaker sounds a ton better. On another note, the factory exhaust on the Shaker, and probably the 14s across the board is different. It is one piece all the way back and does not come apart in sections (no welds, just straight pipes). Appears that the mufflers and resonators are slightly different over 13 as well.

What size are the stock pipes? Getting ready to get rid of the resonators and put on Dynomaxx ultra flo mufflers.

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What size are the stock pipes?
2 1/2" pipes.
One thing that I did fail to mention, putting a free flowing cat back system on the Shaker pretty much completes stage 1 of the SCAT pack without the computer upgrade, which, really don't matter anyhow if you are going to pursue stage 2-3 when they are available, since they come with a computer each.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shaker Exaust

2 1/2" pipes.
One thing that I did fail to mention, putting a free flowing cat back system on the Shaker pretty much completes stage 1 of the SCAT pack without the computer upgrade, which, really don't matter anyhow if you are going to pursue stage 2-3 when they are available, since they come with a computer each.

Thanks Daspoo. I searched all over the net and even called multiple dealerships most said 2.25 but from looking at them they looked bigger to me so I ordered 2.5 in/out on the new mufflers. Glad I got it right didn't want to have to flare them to make them fit. Small pipe to bigger pipe then back out to small pipe seems like it would have an affect on flow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have been looking at that system, did you order online or pick it up local? at first i thought the stock exhaust sounded weak but after 3000 miles i think it is starting to improve....if thats possible. i have been toying with just replacing the mufflers instead bc of it.
Check out the Dynomax ultra flo's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Whats the in/out orientation of your new mufflers?

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Offset to the inside on the inlet side of the muffler and centered on the exit side. Where as the factory muffs are centered in and out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm new, can you guys explain deleting the resonators? Is that something you have to do when you do a cat-back install?

·
Premium Member
12,526 Posts
2 1/2" pipes.
Just so you know you send your PCM in for "reflash" they do not send you a new one. I had stage one on mine the day I took delivery

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm new, can you guys explain deleting the resonators? Is that something you have to do when you do a cat-back install?
Yep deleting resonators = large DRONE... On my 2012 R/T I replaced the resonators with Blastin Bobs, while the sound was very good, the drone was another story..

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
Yep deleting resonators = large DRONE... On my 2012 R/T I replaced the resonators with Blastin Bobs, while the sound was very good, the drone was another story..
Yeah I went with the 3" resonator delete and the drone was too much when letting off the gas in gear or when driving around 2000 RPM. I had Magnaflow 11266 mufflers added and that made a world of difference the exhaust still has a nice deep bass tone to it but the majority 90% of the drone is gone. I'll eventually try to get some in car video of the way it sounds.

Take it easy
Jay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts