Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an American thunder cat back exhaust system and what can I do to make it louder? Should I do muffler delete or resonator delete?

·
Read Only
760 Posts
I have an American thunder cat back exhaust system and what can I do to make it louder? Should I do muffler delete or resonator delete?
The American Thunder has reso's? If it does I would remove the reso's and if it does not have them, then my suggestion is and will always be... STRAIGHT PIPES! lol!! I have the BBK shorties and straight pipes but I also have a manual trans which makes the sound a little more manageable. If you want to see what it is like to cruise with strait pipes I have a boring 8 minute vide posted in the built section that my wife made while we were cruising Woodward last summer. It will give tou a good representation of what a cammed 5.7 sounds like in traffick with straight pipes. Sraight pipes are not for everybody. But it is a good vid to see what it is like to run them in traffic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Every pic of the American Thunder exhaust Ive seen has NO resonator. Are you sure you don’t have the Flowmaster Force II? It is basically the American Thunder but also has small resonators.

That’s what my car has. If so, I’m right there with you. I felt the exhaust (from OUTSIDE the car) is absolute nirvana. Best exhaust I’ve ever heard (IMO). BUT, I felt that I was missing out on all the fun because it is very quiet inside.

That let me to start monkeying around with things to try to turn up the volume “just a little bit”. I was gonna just delete the resonators, but I was worried that it might then be TOO loud - so I wound up putting small Glasspacks in place of the resonators. I figured it would be louder than the resonators but quieter than nothing.
I didn’t get the result I was after. Turns out, the EXTERIOR sound of the exhaust is now QUIETER than with the resonators (and a lower, more mellow sound). I liked it better before. Yet the inside of the car IS louder (at lower rpms and partial throttle) due to a bit of drone. This part isn’t ALL bad. I like hearing the sound of the engine while cruising around - but it isn’t exactly an “exhaust note” sound like I wanted to hear. It’s ok, but not what I was shooting for.
Here is the interesting part - low end torque feels WAY up! I mean quite noticeable. That part I like. All I can think is that the Glasspacks might be MORE restrictive than the resonators (which wouldn’t surprise me after seeing the resonators off the car) and maybe I’ve picked up low end torque in exchange for top end hp.
I’m tempted to just swap it all back out and put the resonators back on - I really did prefer the original sound better. But what a waste of $$ to swap it all right back - plus I know that Glasspacks “mature” with time and they will thus get louder/change sound - so I think I will wait a bit a see how it sounds in a thousand miles or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts