Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a major issue with Dodge of Canada @dodge_canada (FCA of Canada) with regards to a warranty issue over my OEM wheels off my 2016 SRT Challenger. My car has 25000 km (15,500 miles) and was bought in July of 2016; however, the OEM wheels have corrosion around all 4 wheels (just inside the rim where the inner tire sits on the rim). They weren't holding any PSI and was told by Kal-Tire @KalTire (big chain tire/wheel shop) here in British Columbia, Canada, that there was corrosion around the lip of each wheel.

I have taken meticulous care of this car from day one and it is kept inside a closed garage. I drive it to work every day where it is also kept in an underground closed parking lot. The wheels have never been in an accident or damaged. I live in Vancouver; it's not like months of salt took a toll.

I was losing 3-4 PSI every day and having to fill up air on a daily basis. I went to my local Dodge dealership where I bought my vehicle and they stated that this was a warranty issue that had to be dealt with by FCA of Canada. FCA of Canada stated that the new car warranty is valid for 3 years or 60,000 km (whichever occurs first). FCA of Canada then denied my warranty claim as they indicated that the corrosion was caused by an "external source". What external source? All 4 wheels with the same corrosion? Give me a break.

The case manager at FCA stated that if the tires were switched over at a Dodge dealership, this would not have been an issue. She then went onto say that they don't know what type of machine this tire shop uses that could have been the culprit. As I indicated before, @KalTire is a national tire and wheel shop that installs tires and wheels on a daily basis. Tires were changed twice. Dodge Canada @dodge_canada looked for a loophole to get out of doing anything about an issue that was clearly a factory defect.

As my claim was reviewed twice by FCA of Canada and denied a second time, I am given no other option besides taking them to small claims court. I was given a quote of $3500.00 each OEM wheel for a total of $14000.00 (Canadian) for the set.

I am going to post about all the details here, on other forums, and on social media, and I am getting my paperwork/picture evidence together to file the claim next week. I want to let everyone know about this issue and let everyone know how it goes as I am a cautionary tale here. And I'm pretty choked. Dodge Canada is definitely souring the experience of buying this beautiful, and expensive, dream car.

The irony here is that my last 3 muscle cars were Mustang 5.0 @FordMustang and I never had one problem with them. I moved to the Challenger to try Dodge out. Pffft.

Any advice about small claims court before I am forced to move forward?

#Challenger #Dodge

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
No small claims court experience. Looked into this a couple of times but I never got past the looking into phase but instead came up with another solution.

Going up against a large company in small claims court is a tough battle. These companies deal with this all the time and know how to present their side to the best effect. 'course, you have to do what you feel is best/right for you and I can understand that.

If FCA/Dodge claims the wheel damage was done by another shop using the wrong equipment then tell FCA/Dodge to put that in writing as you will then take that to the tire shop and get it to make good on the wheels it damaged.

Is there any caution in the owners manual regarding the proper tire changing equipment? If this is a risk of using the wrong equipment one would think it would be mentioned. If this is not present it sort of calls into question the argument the wrong equipment caused the problem.

Also, request FCA/Dodge specifically state the "external source". You want something in writing. Mention you will then bring this to the attention of the Canadian equivalent of the US NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Administration) (and you can cc the NHTSA as it might be interested in this as well) as this represents a safety hazard that could lead to sudden loss of tire pressure or even catastrophic wheel failure.

If you decide you don't want to be the David going up against Goliath there are other "solutions".

One is to realize you want the car back on the road and in a safe state at some point and to get to that point sooner rather than later consider searching out a set of OEM wheels some other owner has taken off his car and just buy the set at probably a discount to what a new set would cost. Or see about a set off a salvaged vehicle, or vehicles.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Your kidding right? $3500 a wheel? Is that pesos? They really cost that much?

I did a search. Couldn’t find any that cost more than $1000. That’s for a set.

I’m not sure who you think your kidding when you come on here and tell us $14000. Use the internet and find a set at a reasonable price or get another Mustang.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your kidding right? $3500 a wheel? Is that pesos? They really cost that much?

I did a search. Couldn’t find any that cost more than $1000. That’s for a set.

I’m not sure who you think your kidding when you come on here and tell us $14000. Use the internet and find a set at a reasonable price or get another Mustang.
Buddy, that quote is directly from the dealership parts manager. Confirmed twice. I'm not saying I can't find used ones, but @DodgeCanada should be replacing them with new ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No small claims court experience. Looked into this a couple of times but I never got past the looking into phase but instead came up with another solution.

Going up against a large company in small claims court is a tough battle. These companies deal with this all the time and know how to present their side to the best effect. 'course, you have to do what you feel is best/right for you and I can understand that.

If FCA/Dodge claims the wheel damage was done by another shop using the wrong equipment then tell FCA/Dodge to put that in writing as you will then take that to the tire shop and get it to make good on the wheels it damaged.

Is there any caution in the owners manual regarding the proper tire changing equipment? If this is a risk of using the wrong equipment one would think it would be mentioned. If this is not present it sort of calls into question the argument the wrong equipment caused the problem.

Also, request FCA/Dodge specifically state the "external source". You want something in writing. Mention you will then bring this to the attention of the Canadian equivalent of the US NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Administration) (and you can cc the NHTSA as it might be interested in this as well) as this represents a safety hazard that could lead to sudden loss of tire pressure or even catastrophic wheel failure.

If you decide you don't want to be the David going up against Goliath there are other "solutions".

One is to realize you want the car back on the road and in a safe state at some point and to get to that point sooner rather than later consider searching out a set of OEM wheels some other owner has taken off his car and just buy the set at probably a discount to what a new set would cost. Or see about a set off a salvaged vehicle, or vehicles.
That's a really thoughtful response and much appreciated.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,293 Posts
Wow... never heard of this before.... but I am curious... how is it any more plausible that Dodge sold you a defective set of wheels... versus the tire shop goofing up on an install... maybe, if it was just one wheel, but what are the chances of all four being goofed up.... I googled corrosion on challenger SRT wheels... nothing comes up. I had some tire work done at Firestone, a national company that changes tires by the minute... yet one of their "professionals" used some sort of tool to scrape off old wheel weights, totally gouging the barrel of the wheel. My point being even the pros can make a mistake. I just wonder if the machine used to mount the tires somehow messed up your wheels... I am interested on how this plays out and wish you luck...

·
Registered
575 Posts
How many people actually buy new tires and get them changed by their Dodge dealer? I did once and the dealer scratched the s__t out of my wheels. Find out what kind of machines and lubricant the local Dodge dealer uses and get a professional comparison with the machines and lubrication Kaltire used so that you can dispute the FCA claim that the tires were not installed by a qualified company using similar equipment and labor. The dealer has nothing to stand on but how do you expect to prove the corrosion is due to a factory defect?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
You can have those wheels refinished in a day for $100+ a wheel. You can also get aftermarket replicas for a lot less than $3500 a wheel.

https://www.carid.com/2016-dodge-challenger-factory-wheels/

In addition I searched Mopar Online Parts for wheels for a '16 SRT and didn't see anything more than $1k us for a single wheel. You may want to find a different dealer.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
8,312 Posts
The tire changing machines at the tire service center I've used for years, has a nylon cap that snaps onto the tip of the tire removal/installation arm. It's primary function is to avoid damaging the protective coating that is applied to all custom wheels (especially aluminum). If that cap is missing or worn out on its' contact surface, you have metal to metal contact on the outer edge of the wheel rim. Once that coating is damaged and allows water and other roadway contaminants (especially salt) to seep between the outer bead edge of the tire and inner edge of the wheel rim and remain on the bare metal, no amount of washing or cleaning will remove the gunk. It won't take long for the corrosion to start eating away at the metal surface. Once the corrosion is visible between the tire and wheel rim, it's going to start losing air and time to either buy new or re-conditioned wheels. Sanding the corrosion and applying tire sealant to the edge of the tire is a temporary fix for air loss only and creates more problems the next time the tires need replacing. The odds of all four wheels being defective in the exact same areas at the exact same time is very slim. JMHO.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just curious about the new rim price quote from the dealership. What is the money exchange rate since I'm guessing your quote is in Canadian dollars? Can you give us the factory part number that they are using for the replacement rims or a good picture of what you have. I'm assuming you purchased the car new and it came with one of the three or four rim options available that year. Does this quote also include four new tires, mounting, balancing, tpm's, alignment, labor and disposal of all the old stuff? My car's rim options were a factory limited production item and are no where near that price to replace all of them. Does Canada have any type of Lemon Laws for consumers? What type of cleaning/detailing products do you use on the tires/rims?

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,329 Posts
Wheel corrosion can be a tough claim because FCA/Dodge will question how the wheels were cared for under your ownership. For example, Meguiars places strong warnings on their chrome wheel polish products to avoid using them on aluminum wheels because the acids in the chrome polish can corrode aluminum. But I hope that FCA honors the warranty and takes care of you. Best of luck!

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,672 Posts
My gut says you are taking the wrong company to court.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Just curious about the new rim price quote from the dealership. What is the money exchange rate since I'm guessing your quote is in Canadian dollars? Can you give us the factory part number that they are using for the replacement rims or a good picture of what you have. I'm assuming you purchased the car new and it came with one of the three or four rim options available that year. Does this quote also include four new tires, mounting, balancing, tpm's, alignment, labor and disposal of all the old stuff? My car's rim options were a factory limited production item and are no where near that price to replace all of them. Does Canada have any type of Lemon Laws for consumers? What type of cleaning/detailing products do you use on the tires/rims?
USD .75 = CDN $1

·
Registered
908 Posts
Sorry to be suspicious but first three posts are slamming Dodge? Then coming up with wild prices like $3500 per wheel...…

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I can buy into the fact that the OP might have gotten a bad set of wheels, but when he claims $3500 to replace them EACH, I kind of doubt at least some of the story.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts