Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which one did you get? Don't the 6 speeds have two mufflers between the cats and resonators?
I got the borla xr-1 racing muffler and yes they are in the middle of the car I'm gonna have resonator replaced with straight pipe.

The wait is the hardest part, the install is cake.
You got that right I'm very impatient I hope they get here Saturday I just ordered em bout a hour ago and just got a email that says they have already been shipped.

· Registered
13,190 Posts
Yes definitely post up some before/after videos. I've been tossing around exhaust ideas for years but never had the guts to do anything yet. Just not 100% sure what I want to do yet I guess.

Summit is cool, I've ordered tons of stuff from them for my Nova over the years, they ship stuff fast. Hope it comes in soon!

· Registered
640 Posts
I have heard that adding the XR1 mufflers and deleting the resonator will get you a very similar sound to the Atak...Which if that is the case you are going to be VERY happy with it..Your neighbors not so much but you yes...

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have got to post us a video. I have been debating about putting the same muffler on my car. I have already installed the reso delete. What are the dimensions of the xr1 you bought?
The overall length is 18" the case length is 12" and it's a 2.5" in an 2.5" out. Part #40941

I have heard that adding the XR1 mufflers and deleting the resonator will get you a very similar sound to the Atak...Which if that is the case you are going to be VERY happy with it..Your neighbors not so much but you yes...
Screw the neighbors their cats keep getting on my car anyway lol

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the muffler put on today but unfortunately I can't get the videos to upload here or YouTube. At an idle the car still sounds stock but when I get on it you can tell its not. Its not as loud as I thought it would be, kinda wish it was a little louder actually but I'm gonna leave em on because its got a good sound. Went with borla muffler to replace stock muffler and I replaced the resonators with straight pipe. Overall I'm pleased with it they only cost me $400 for 2 mufflers an the install. Headers and tuner are next.

· Registered
640 Posts
Remember the mufflers will have a break in period of a couple of hundred miles. It sounds more like the S-Type than the Atak which is not a bad thing in any way. A little more subtle than the ATAK at idle but still rips when you get on it..

When I first put the Atak on my car I thought the same thing as you, this thing isn't nearly as loud as I expected. So one night I had my wife do a few passes in the car while I stood outside. It was MUCH louder than what I thought. Give listening to the car from the outside while somebody does a few passes a shot..Think you will be happier with your modification when you realize what everybody else is hearing..

Nice upgrade congrats..

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds good man! Do you get any drone at all at cruise speeds or not too bad? Notice any increase or decrease in performance or about the same?
No drone at all when I'm in 6th gear running between 65 an 75 it still sounds stock. Honestly I kinda feel like I might have lost a little power. It may be in my head but I'm kinda curious to if cutting out the resonator may have made me lose some back pressure.

· Registered
13,190 Posts
I've heard that from others who have done the resonator delete. I've also heard though that a custom tune generally brings the power back. Might want to look into that. You can get email tunes for not too much if you can datalog.

· Registered
13,190 Posts
Not sure on that. As far as I know the resonator is really just there to tune out the drone of the exhaust. Maybe it does add a little back pressure with some restriction vs a straight pipe. But I would think with a tune it would add more power since you now possibly have less restriction?

Maybe you can put some Blastin Bob's glasspacks or Magnaflows on the back and get the back pressure back up along with better sound over stock?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.