Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Knight of the black asphalt.
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be entering my first car show in June. I know there are many members that are very experienced at car shows. I wanted to get some opinions on car preparation. Not so much the intricate detailing secrets but more a general preparation.

My car will be washed 24 hours before the show. Within that time I will put maybe 100 miles on the car. It will not doubt need to be cleaned the morning of the show. I will not have access to washing and drying it. I have a clear bra on the front and I don't know if I can use bug and tar remover on that material. I will be contacting the shop that installed it.

Some of my questions are; what cleaning products do you bring to the show?, Do you use a waterless car wash spray?, How much time do you spend cleaning the car before the show?, Is there time to clean the car at the show or do you clean it the morning before entering the show?, If you stay over night do you cover the car before the show?.

I will be traveling a great distance. I will not have the opportunity or drive home if I forgot something.
Feel free to chime in If you think I missed anything.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
362 Posts
If driving a distance i take a gallon of water to help clean bugs and what not of the nose. I have a slew of detailing sprays and quick waxing sprays. Mothers mostly i use turtle wax shine lock after the car is clean. Glass cleaners for wheels and windows. Also use a foam pad to apply tire shine so not to get any on the wheels. I use Tire foam on wheel wells and back to black on all black plastic. Same detailing sprays under the hood as well.

yes you will have time for all of this before the show starts. Make sure you take folding chairs and i use an ez up canopy fir shade.
Good luck at the show.

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
I wash before I leave and then for example if I'm driving 6 hours to Carlisle I'll wash once I get there. I tend to try to get to the show when it opens since parking is normally first come first serve and I'd prefer to be parked on the ends of the rows if possible.

I detailing wise I tend to bring almost everything.... I bring detailing spray, Interior detailing spray and protectant, wheel and tire sprays, scratch X, and Dr. Colorchip. I had to touch up the bottom of a door a bit from when we went through construction on the way to the show last year.

As CTDgoner said bring a chair, EZ up and a cooler as well. Once you've spent the morning getting her cleaned up you can take a well deserved break in the shade for a bit.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Knight of the black asphalt.
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If driving a distance i take a gallon of water to help clean bugs and what not of the nose. I have a slew of detailing sprays and quick waxing sprays. Mothers mostly i use turtle wax shine lock after the car is clean. Glass cleaners for wheels and windows. Also use a foam pad to apply tire shine so not to get any on the wheels. I use Tire foam on wheel wells and back to black on all black plastic. Same detailing sprays under the hood as well.

yes you will have time for all of this before the show starts. Make sure you take folding chairs and i use an ez up canopy fir shade.
Good luck at the show.
Great information, I did not think of the gallon of water. I like that idea.

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
Usually there is enough time to register and spruce up your car before the actual shows starts. Most guys are wiping down the entire day. Here is my routine, my car is usually freshly washed or washed and covered in the garage prior...

For local shows and cruise ins I usually just make sure of I have some micro fiber towels and some detail spray. For longer trips, I will bring more supplies such as tire shine, applicators, extra micro fiber towels, water less wash, detail spray and window cleaner. Multi day events I will also bring some interior detailer to freshen up as needed. If I have room, I also pack the car cover but only use it if I can keep the car super clean or can wipe down again at the hotel before covering.

I also recently started packing trial size or 4 oz. pump spray bottles of my various cleaning supplies for they are always in the trunk and not forgotten behind. Since my car is spare tire delete, I find the one slot is perfect to hold several 4 oz. bottles of cleaner I the foam insert that also hold the inflator. I keep a variety of micro fiber towels under there as well.

Folding chairs, EZ Up tent and cooler are also needed

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
Also if you don't have one already buy a small storage tote for your detailing supplies. That way you can keep it all together. I also pack an empty shopping bag so as I get towels dirty I can keep them seperate from the clean ones in the tote.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,096 Posts
Great information, I did not think of the gallon of water. I like that idea.
I ALWAYS carry a gallon bucket of water with me in the trunk. In the winter not needed. But in the summer you can't live without it. I have one of those handy carriers for car cleaning supplies. Detail spray, LOTS of microfiber towels, california duster, window squeegie, spray wax, tire foam, and anything else you might find useful.
As for the bugs try one of those non scratch pads. First I spray the bugs with detail spray to soften them up. Then dip the pad in water and lightly remove the bugs. They usually come off very easily. I like to use the window squeegie instead of going to a gas station and using their gross dirty water!!! I use my own clean water out of my bucket.
We eat good Schwan's ice cream and I recycle their buckets for water for my car!!
Good luck!

Only 100 miles in the next month???? Drive that beast!!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Try this product. Meguiars 114 express wash. Doesn't have wax in it just a cleaner that can be used to wipe down everything including interior. Great product. They also sell one that has wax in it too i think its 115 or 156

·
Premium Member
12,477 Posts
I have been trying to find a local car wash close to the hotel... I don't ever use their brush but I do like to spray the car off and use my own micro fiber sponge and car wash in a spray bottle...

·
Dazed & Confused
36,403 Posts
I have been trying to find a local car wash close to the hotel... I don't ever use their brush but I do like to spray the car off and use my own micro fiber sponge and car wash in a spray bottle...
If I remember correctly there are 1 or 2 between the motel & the car show.

·
Premium Member
12,477 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
If you buy some kind of tote for your car supllies, put some velcro on the bottom, it will stick to the carpet in your trunk and not slide around.

·
Premium Member
12,477 Posts
So now what time are we getting up to get to the car wash before the show ???

·
Business
21,097 Posts
I will be entering my first car show in June. I know there are many members that are very experienced at car shows. I wanted to get some opinions on car preparation. Not so much the intricate detailing secrets but more a general preparation.

My car will be washed 24 hours before the show. Within that time I will put maybe 100 miles on the car. It will not doubt need to be cleaned the morning of the show. I will not have access to washing and drying it. I have a clear bra on the front and I don't know if I can use bug and tar remover on that material. I will be contacting the shop that installed it.

Some of my questions are; what cleaning products do you bring to the show?, Do you use a waterless car wash spray?, How much time do you spend cleaning the car before the show?, Is there time to clean the car at the show or do you clean it the morning before entering the show?, If you stay over night do you cover the car before the show?.

I will be traveling a great distance. I will not have the opportunity or drive home if I forgot something.
Feel free to chime in If you think I missed anything.

Thanks,

Mike
Remember to check out the back label on your detailer. Not all of the can be used in sun light or hot car surfaces.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Bee Keeper 16, Mike, nothing I can add to all these fine suggestions! Is this a "general" car show? Lots of different cars? Park across from a Camaro or Mustang and watch how many more people stop to look at your Challenger! You'll be surprised by the looks!
Oh, I just thought of something! Remember the wheel wells! I use a micro fiber duster with tire shine to spray the wheel well and clean with the duster then wipe with a clean cloth!
Good Luck! Way to Rep! Get ready for a lot of questions!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Most of the folks have basically said the same things I would suggest. I always carry my bag full of cleaning supplies with me wherever I go. What I like to do when driving to shows that are a long distance away, I'll wash and wax my car, so when I drive it the next day and get to my destination the bugs will slide right off when I wash it. You can detail it once you get to the show and park. Bring yourself a bucket to take with you to a car was in the area you're going. If you're like myself, you will never allow one of those car wash brushes to touch your car. Get to the car show early enough to get a good spot with some shade, you will thank yourself for doing so if it will be hot where you're at. Try fitting a tent in our cars!! Good luck.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts