Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help deciding which exhaust to go with on the new challenger. It's a 2014 R/T with the 6 speed. I was looking at doing a muffler replacement and removing the resonators, or just doing a blastin' bobs reso delete. If I replace the muffler, I was looking at going with a Borla or a Magnaflow. I am looking for something that sounds aggressive, and matches the look and feel of our cars. I would like some good sound out of the system, but I don't want it so loud that when I'm riding down the highway I can't hear the person next to me. Any advice or experience would be great!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I need a little help deciding which exhaust to go with on the new challenger. It's a 2014 R/T with the 6 speed. I was looking at doing a muffler replacement and removing the resonators, or just doing a blastin' bobs reso delete. If I replace the muffler, I was looking at going with a Borla or a Magnaflow. I am looking for something that sounds aggressive, and matches the look and feel of our cars. I would like some good sound out of the system, but I don't want it so loud that when I'm riding down the highway I can't hear the person next to me. Any advice or experience would be great!
KingTuna,
I did a resonator delete with flowmaster super 10s, and could not hear myself think going down the highway, it was way loud. I had saved my resonators so I went back and had them reinstalled. This made it perfect for me. It's still throaty, just does not have that groan at highway speed in 6th gear. My advise is try the muffler swap first. Then if it is not loud enough for you go back and do the resonator delete.

·
Registered
640 Posts
If the 1200 dollar price tag isn't an issue go with the Borla Atak system. You have a six speed so drone issues will be minimal.

I had the Borla Atak installed about 4 weeks ago. It sounds amazing and the sound continues to get better as it breaks in. The in cabin noise is a bit louder but it does not drown out conversation or the radio. There is a slight and I mean very slight amount of drone at I think 1800 RPMs. Its there and gone very quickly. The beauty of the system though is what people are hearing as you drive by. I stood on the side of the road and had my wife do a few passes the car sounds amazing. I think it was worth every penny spent.

I had the reso delete with FLO PRO Mufflers and 3 inch pipes prior to this. It sounded good and you couldn't beat it 300 bucks. I liked.That said I love the the Borla Atak though. Nothing wrong with just a muffler swap or reso delete. Your car will sound better. I do think in the long run you may find yourself wanting more.

Another system to look at that may save you a few dollars and a people seem to be very happy with is the Solo Mach X. That and the Corsa Extreme were my next choices after the Borla Atak.

The Videos of the Borla Atak on Youtube are pretty true to what you will hear in person.

·
Registered
2010 SRT Challenger Brilliant Black M6
58 Posts
I did blastin bobs with the glass packs for my R/T when I had it. You dont really have to worry about drone with the 6 speed, as you can drive around it. Was the best $225 bucks i spent on the car.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I love the sound of the Borla atak but I don't know if I can bring myself to spend that much. I guess it's back to you tube and counting change...

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
It all depends on how much money you can justify to yourself for a sound only deal on a 6-speed. If cash is no problem....go with one of the 1K plus systems and call it a day. On an auto...you pretty much have to. On a 6-speed...you can just do a resonator delete and get great sound for very little money. It won't be the higher level of refined sound you get with one of those expensive aftermarket systems....but light years above the stock sound. I think it is important to remind that the stock mufflers have VERY little restriction and are of a straight through design....therefore doing very little to improve back-pressure or improve sound if they are removed and just straight piped. The resonators on the other hand have ALLOT to due with the sound muffling so to speak and other than the cats are the biggest restriction of flow after the exhaust logs back on an RT. An added benefit to deleting the resonators on a 6-speed is that they are HEAVY at something like 20 pounds a piece. For me...it was a no brainier. MUCH better sound and a little better exhaust flow along with a good bit of weight off the back of the car. Of course...I don't have the kind of money to make a more refined exhaust note worth that kind of cash...if I did...maybe I would choose to pay up...lol

·
Registered
389 Posts
Go with the BB reso delete. With or without glasspacks it is the best bang for the buck. My wife is pretty picky about weird audio tones like wind buffeting, pressure changes and such and she LOVED the exhaust after the delete and we have done multiple multi hour drives in it. In actuality, at highway speeds in 6th cruising..the exhaust is very quiet. Its that 4am cold start and idle out of the neighborhood thats a bit tricky :)

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
I have a 2014 challenger R/T classic with auto and 5.7. What is the best exhaust for it
Choosing the exhaust is a personal thing that depends on what you are looking for. You have the auto (as I do) so I would suggest looking up videos on YouTube and, preferably, hear them in person. I started with the resonator delete, but wanted just a little more sound, so I replaced the mufflers with Flowmaster 40's. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0qZkfJP1ks

Well, the bb reso delete has been ordered! Thanks everybody.
Good choice, I think you'll be pleased.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Coyote, was it 40's or super 40's? I am thinking of super 44's right now.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
I have the Corsa Xtreme and love it. No drone at all. It's about $1200 but the install is a DIY in about 2 hrs. You get what you pay for and only want to do this mod once.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have a 2014 challenger R/T classic with auto and 5.7. What is the best exhaust for it
If money is not an issue The Corsa Extreme is the way to go for somebody with an auto transmission they run between 1200 to 1400 bucks. Solo Mach X is also an option and are about 400 dollars cheaper. Because you have an auto and drone is a big issue those would be the two I would look at most.

I have the Borla Atak and love it but I am not sure about the drone issues with Borla and the auto trans. Six speeds because they do not have MDS do not suffer from drone as much as autos.

If you know of any car clubs in your area try and go to one of their meetings and listen to some of the set ups there.

·
Registered
173 Posts
No love for Zoomers Catback??? I had Zoomers on my R/T. Love the sound. Now I have an SRT8 Challenger and a R/T Charger. I might do BB to save money

·
Registered
64 Posts
Exhaust

I have 2014 RT Classic,Tried Flowmaster 40s with resonators in place.Sounded same as factory,too quiet,Deleted resonators and it sounds great.Total cost $300.00.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the reso delete shipped today. I got the 250ce which is the delete without glass packs or mufflers. I'll let you know how it sounds as soon as it arrives!

·
Registered
2010 SRT Challenger Brilliant Black M6
58 Posts
Just did the reso delete this am on my SRT. Put a glasspack in place of each reso and it sounds perfect. Everyone had me worried about drone (this is my first auto challenger), but very little at 1700-1800 rpms. cruising at 2000 rpms and its as quiet as stock. $250 bucks and happy as can be.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just installed the reso delete, and I haven't been able to stop smiling since. Best 100 dollars I've ever spent.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts