Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just bought a 2018 Challenger SXT as my first car & wanted to know what you guys have done to yours to increase your HP , having a V6 is okay when it comes to my insurance rates & gas mileage but Im just trying to pick up & move lol. If anyone has any advice on some mods to look into to gain HP Im open to hearing whatever you got.

·
Dazed & Confused
36,095 Posts
Probably the only 2 things that come to mind is a tune or a super charger for a 3.6. The tune will involve either buying an unlocked pcm or having yours unlocked and purchasing a tuner. If you add a SC you will still need the unlocked PCM & tuner in order to run it.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,338 Posts
Welcome to the site!

My .02... either a supercharger.. or rear gear swap (deeper gears)... gear swap won't give you more horsepower but will make acceleration snappier....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably the only 2 things that come to mind is a tune or a super charger for a 3.6. The tune will involve either buying an unlocked pcm or having yours unlocked and purchasing a tuner. If you add a SC you will still need the unlocked PCM & tuner in order to run it.
You have any recomendations on where to get one ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome... I'd start by going with a drop-in air filter and get it breathing right... Lots of tips and advice along with what others including myself have done to ours in this section... :)
Thanks Man, I saw alot of decent cold air intakes
Welcome to the site!

My .02... either a supercharger.. or rear gear swap (deeper gears)... gear swap won't give you more horsepower but will make acceleration snappier....
Hopefully I can save up for a supercharger but I haven’t heard about that gear swap before Ill be sure to check it out

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
51,097 Posts
Your warranty will be void on the driveline if you do a supercharger and you also risk losing more warranty coverage if you change ECM. If the dealer does not do the rear swap you will lose that warranty.
I suspect you will spend more on the upgrades than you would have by buying an R/T and the extra cost of insurance and gas mileage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your warranty will be void on the driveline if you do a supercharger and you also risk losing more warranty coverage if you change ECM. If the dealer does not do the rear swap you will lose that warranty.
I suspect you will spend more on the upgrades than you would have by buying an R/T and the extra cost of insurance and gas mileage.
I figured that, I paid almost 85% of this car off so I was thinking maybe keep it for a year & once its paid off & my credit is built maybe just trade it in & get a R/T.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
51,097 Posts
I figured that, I paid almost 85% of this car off so I was thinking maybe keep it for a year & once its paid off & my credit is built maybe just trade it in & get a R/T.
That would be a wise decision if you save even more think about a Scat Pack. Just remember any major mods will not add to your trade in value and could detract from it. If you keep it past the warranty then you can do what ever you want.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Going from the SXT to the RT, you’re looking at a 70hp increase. That’s about what you can get from a ported throttle body, cold air intake with hellcat mod, ported intake manifold, 2.5” catback exhaust with high flow cats and custom tune on 93 octane.
That’ll cost you at least $3000 and will likely void most of your warranty.

Going from the SXT to the 392 is a 180hp increase. That’s about what you gain if you supercharge your SXT. That’ll cost at least $5-6000, and will void the crap out of your warranty.

Interpret that how you will, but keep in mind.. all those mods on the SXT can also be done to the RT and 392 with usually even better gains.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going from the SXT to the RT, you’re looking at a 70hp increase. That’s about what you can get from a ported throttle body, cold air intake with hellcat mod, ported intake manifold, 2.5” catback exhaust with high flow cats and custom tune on 93 octane.
That’ll cost you at least $3000 and will likely void most of your warranty.

Going from the SXT to the 392 is a 180hp increase. That’s about what you gain if you supercharge your SXT. That’ll cost at least $5-6000, and will void the crap out of your warranty.

Interpret that how you will, but keep in mind.. all those mods on the SXT can also be done to the RT and 392 with usually even better gains.
That 180 hp increase going from the SXT to the 392 is calling my name haha, after reading what you said Im thinking to myself maybe I should just save up as much as I can while I finish off a few more of these payments & just buy a RT (or a 392 if im lucky lol) dumping a lot of money on a v6 for it just to perform like a stock v8 doesn't sound like a good move. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
45 Posts
That 180 hp increase going from the SXT to the 392 is calling my name haha, after reading what you said Im thinking to myself maybe I should just save up as much as I can while I finish off a few more of these payments & just buy a RT (or a 392 if im lucky lol) dumping a lot of money on a v6 for it just to perform like a stock v8 doesn't sound like a good move. Thanks for the advice
Meh kind of. Insurance will screw you on a V8 challenger. It's so expensive I couldn't afford the insurance California is too expensive for basically anything. . I can afford the car though.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Tiki, with respect I disagree, well about the model that is. I drive a rt for work and yes the torque is awesome, but the horsepower isn't there for the heavier model. I'd save for the 392. With a tune on the v6 you're going to come very close to the horsepower of a rt, but not the torque. And with about 200-250 pound lighter engine. You will be neck and neck with rt's. The 392 is an awesome engine...

But do with what you will. Good luck and we all are just trying to help each other out.

·
Banned
245 Posts
I always ask the question of what is your goal for adding more power to those looking to get more out of the SXT. Is it a daily, are you just trying to keep up with the R/Ts, are you racing or do you just want a bit more performance? Do you just want the bragging rights?

The SXT is the entry level engine in the Challenger/Chargers. It's got 305HP/267TQ which is more than enough for a daily driver. If you just want more performance or better sound, go for simple bolt ons like a ported TB, Hellcat Intake/CAI and a better breathing exhaust. It won't add anything huge HP gain-wise, but it'll make the car 10x more fun and you won't void your warranty if you still have one. Better tires are a must as well. You could also get a tune but they're expensive as shit and will void your warranty but with everything together, you could make anything from 360-370HP at the crank which will put you at stock R/T numbers. You may be looking at around $2000-$3000 for all this.

Everyone is quick to immediately mention a supercharger which is cool...but the RIPP SC is like $6000 not including installation and the unlocked PCM that you will need. You're looking at close to around $8000-10k maybe for everything. I do know some people who have installed it themselves and you could save some money there but I've heard it's a huge headache...And you'll be making Scat power but is it REALLY worth it for a daily driver?

It's just something to think about. And once you start modding, you'll always want more. Honestly, if you want big numbers, save your money from the mods and just upgrade. I love our cars but you can only do so much with the 3.6.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts