Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my third Challenger, one was a 2010 V6 next 2011 RT. Changed the oil on both at approximately 500 miles. Shortly after both cars developed a lifter knock on cold starts. I know it's not that uncommon. I was just reading the manual on my 2014' and it states there is break-in oil used from the factory. It seems they add lubricants to key components to avoid scuffing when the motor is breaking in. So now I am wondering if I changed the oil to prematurely on the other two.
So should I wait the recommended 3k miles on my new one? I was thinking to go 2K miles before changing it. Any thoughts.

·
12,989 Posts
I know its not required but I did mine at 1000 miles, I could be wrong but I've always felt that the first oil change is the most important.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My advice, change your oil every 3000mi or 6 months, whichever comes first. Unless your oil change reminder shows up first. Changing your oil too often is just throwing money away.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
I'd also suggest an oil change at 1,000 to start fresh then every 3k after that whether you go to synthetic or not.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
For what its worth, I did mine early as well (about 1000 miles), and then I've been doing it at 4000 mile intervals (oil change that is)....

Reactions: ninjadave

·
Dash Cam Guy
2,277 Posts
Lots of speculation on this topic. Some argue that it only takes a few hours (5-10) to actually "break in" the engine. I change my synthetic oil every 6k miles like the owner's manual recommends.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts