Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I would like to get some information regarding what type oil and filter I should use on my 2016 Challenger.

I am approaching the first 1k, and I have read that other members have changed the oil at this point to remove any material that has resulted from the break in period. I was thinking to wait till 1500 miles so that the next can be at 3k miles.....still on the fence about that....but I digress.

So to get into the meat and potatoes of this threat. Here is some some background information on my vehcile. I have a 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker with a 6.4L Hemi SRT Engine still bone stock.

Before we get to my questions, I understand this vehicle is one of the newest ones that have been released and probably why I came up short in the thread search results department. So I appreciate any help/information that can be given.

So my questions are as follows:
  1. What brand oil should I use? (I have been thinking between Pennzoil, Mobil 1, and Royal Purple). I have heard that Pennzoil is what the dealers use. Have I been informed correctly or misinformed?

2. On an SRT Card that came along with the owners manual it says 0W-40 Full Synthetic oil should be used, has anyone used other weights other than that or have you just stuck with what is recommended? I plan on sticking with what the card/owners manual says to use. That is usually a safe bet.

3. What brand filter should I use? (In the past I have used WIX and had no complaints. I am also thinking about possibly trying out K&N oil filters.)
Feel free to make other recommendations. I am always open to hear what other people have done/used. I am a bit of a car info junkie. I love learning new things and miss the days of selling auto parts for this very reason.

If you don't feel like posting thinks that don't pertain to this topic, please feel free to head over to my profile and post information there.

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

Best Regards,
Knightshade2.0

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
51,938 Posts
Yes the dealers now use Pennzoil,any of you listed are fine. I use Wix and never had a problem,use what weight the owners manual says do not stray from that.

·
Premium Member
12,345 Posts
Yes the dealers now use Pennzoil,any of you listed are fine. I use Wix and never had a problem,use what weight the owners manual says do not stray from that.
I agree with Dodge guy. I have used Mobile 1 and RP in the past but went to Pennzoil when we got our SRT. If you look on the jug it will tell you that it is formulated for SRT engines. And yes only 0w40 nothing else. I use K&N I have heard that the MOPAR filter is a WIX.

·
Knight of the black asphalt.
8,582 Posts
0W-40 synthetic is the most important. Dodge uses Pennzoil because they were probably the cheapest bid. Try getting something on sale.

I would spend a little more money on a filter. Wix, Napa Gold ect. I think a quality filter is more important than choosing a manufacture of 0W-40 synthetic oil.

Also change your drain plug gasket with each oil change. I like to use a plastic gasket. You can't go wrong if you stay within the parameter.

Reactions: habbie

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
51,938 Posts
0W-40 synthetic is the most important. Dodge uses Pennzoil because they were probably the cheapest bid. Try getting something on sale.

I would spend a little more money on a filter. Wix, Napa Gold ect. I think a quality filter is more important than choosing a manufacture of 0W-40 synthetic oil.

Also change your drain plug gasket with each oil change. I like to use a plastic gasket. You can't go wrong if you stay within the parameter.
There is no gasket , the seal is built into the drain plug.

·
8,582 Posts
Reactions: Lyle

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
I used Mobil One synthetic 0W-40 with a Wix filter.

Reactions: Lyle

·
801 RWHP
8,406 Posts
Well, if you plan on going by the law of the land, you change every so many miles or every six months. I am at 1400 miles and not changing the oil til spring. My car will be stored soon after my hood and mirrors are done. So I should be under 1500 miles. Car will be stored for approximately six months. I am not changing the oil now, only to change it again when I pull it out of storage. No way.

·
What's Old is New Again!
38,355 Posts
RP and K&N every 5K or 6-7 months, whichever comes first. No Hemi Tick. Get the factory oil out of it ASAP after 1K.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well, if you plan on going by the law of the land, you change every so many miles or every six months. I am at 1400 miles and not changing the oil til spring. My car will be stored soon after my hood and mirrors are done. So I should be under 1500 miles. Car will be stored for approximately six months. I am not changing the oil now, only to change it again when I pull it out of storage. No way.
What are you doing to the mirrors?!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I realize I don't drive an SRT but an engine needs oil never the less, I use wix gold filters and Pennzoil Platinum. After reading some things on the Z though I may change over to RP my next oil change, either one is good though imo.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,744 Posts
Susie is the Mopar Princess, so listen to her.

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
Wix and Royal Purple or Mobil 1.

Reactions: Bubba J

·
8,582 Posts
Whats hemi tick? Something that involves the 392? Or was this an issue of the past?
I think it is only in the 5.7 motors. Google search "what is Hemi tick" or search this forum. I can't really explain it.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Hemi tick is just a ticking sound coming from the lifters. Some engines have it, some don't, must be due to variances in tolerances in the build process? My old 5.7L never had it, but some report it to be pretty loud. I haven't heard to many people on hear with 6.4L's complaining about it.

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
Before my first oil change at about 1500 miles, I was able to hear an audible "tick" on my 5.7. Once I changed the oil and put in the top grade filter with either Mobil 1 or Royal Purple, the "tick" went away.

On a side note, a guy I play tennis with "Michael" is a retired businessman and has a fairly nice stable of cars. The other night we played some doubles and when I was pulling out we waved me down. When I drove beside him he said "Hey, that is your car?" Yes, I said. He continued "Wow, just love the sound of that V-8, its one of the best sounding cars I have heard in a long time". We talked, and I thanked him as he got into his Porsche 911 turbo. So there you have it. A guy with $125,000 car likes ours better than his.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts