Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow! What a contrast! I have a '14 RT 6 speed for my DD. The 4 speed takes some getting used to and the clutch actually takes some muscle to engage. Definitely an old school feel that the new model doesn't have. I got back into my '14 and I couldn't feel the clutch! It took a couple minutes before I was comfortable w/ it. It was like a pushin down air! The '71 is back in the shop for new shocks, fluid changes, and prep for Va. inspection. What a ride! Hoping it will be ready by next week.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,712 Posts
Wow! What a contrast! I have a '14 RT 6 speed for my DD. The 4 speed takes some getting used to and the clutch actually takes some muscle to engage. Definitely an old school feel that the new model doesn't have. I got back into my '14 and I couldn't feel the clutch! It took a couple minutes before I was comfortable w/ it. It was like a pushin down air! The '71 is back in the shop for new shocks, fluid changes, and prep for Va. inspection. What a ride! Hoping it will be ready by next week.
There is a huge difference between the new and the old but you would expect that after 40+ years. I know I am nowhere what I was 40 years ago:D

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
I hit the drag strip saturday and got to line up with a 1970 Cuda with a 440, it was a dedicated drag car and naturally kicked my butt LOL. There was also a 70 Hemi Cuda there but never got to line up with him.

Those old cars don't have the abilities in stock form of todays cars but they certainly have a ton of character and are a lot of fun to drive and watch at the track. :smileup:

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
I know what you mean! I have a 1972 Nova and driving that car compared to the Challenger is like night and day. The Challenger is smooth and refined vs the Nova where it's rough and raw. They're both fun to drive in their own way.

The old cars definitely don't have the abilities the new ones have (i.e. handling, braking, etc) but like it was said above, they have character that you just can't duplicate.

Post up some pics when you get a chance!

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
I hit the drag strip saturday and got to line up with a 1970 Cuda with a 440, it was a dedicated drag car and naturally kicked my butt LOL. There was also a 70 Hemi Cuda there but never got to line up with him.

Those old cars don't have the abilities in stock form of todays cars but they certainly have a ton of character and are a lot of fun to drive and watch at the track. :smileup:
Don't feel too bad man, one time years ago when my Nova still had the stock 307 in it I lined up at the track with some crazy 10 second race car. The guy took off like a rocket and was gone and there I was running mid 15's haha! The sad part was the guy was already done and slowing down and I was still shifting into 3rd gear. I actually read his ET and MPH on the scoreboard as I was still going down the track! Hahaha!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,712 Posts

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
Wow! What a contrast! I have a '14 RT 6 speed for my DD. The 4 speed takes some getting used to and the clutch actually takes some muscle to engage. Definitely an old school feel that the new model doesn't have. I got back into my '14 and I couldn't feel the clutch! It took a couple minutes before I was comfortable w/ it. It was like a pushin down air!
I agree. My wife's '81 Camaro also had a very tough clutch pedal to depress. You really needed leverage to push it down. Clutch pedals nowadays are typically very easy to use. In fact, I was surprised on the ease of depressing the clutch pedal on a new Ford F-750 dump truck.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
My Tech shop coincidentally had 3 classics in at the same time and posted this pic.
Have to agree...yours is definitely the coolest. Love the other cars too, but yours is the sharpest one.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
What's funny I look at that car and can clearly see it in the new body way to go dodge way to go. Enjoy that car maybe just maybe one day I will be able to get one or at least a ride in one.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
Back in the day when you had nothing to compare it to, it was different. That's a nice 71 you have.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it took a lot longer than I had hoped but finally drove home my '71 this week! New Hotchkis Sport suspension, rebuilt 4 speed, new alternator and water pump, Evans radiator coolant, Virginia inspection, and too many other small things to mention. Will have it out this weekend for sure. Will also post some pics w/ Big brother!

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
My Tech shop coincidentally had 3 classics in at the same time and posted this pic.
Nice picture, the Challenger looks excellent. :smileup:

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
that 71 looks BA... i know what mean about old school muscle clutches... my cousin once had a 76 Trans Am and i literally had to stand on the damn clutch pedal with BOTH feet... he asked me if i wanted to drive it and i said no thanks... for fear of stalling it out all the time...

·
Registered
419 Posts
how do you like the suspension? been looking at it for my 70 cuda

·
12,990 Posts

Very well said Jon, i agree with you 100%. :smileup:

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The suspension puts the car close to the 2014 RT STP, however, the power steering isn't up to the same standards. Will strongly consider upgrade to power steering box for next mod.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
How do you like the suspension setup on your car compared to the original? My Nova has some archaic original suspension on it which means don't take turns at more than 30-35 mph haha! Would be cool to upgrade one day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts