Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Knight of the black asphalt.
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the washing & waxing thread for one and a half hours and I can't seem to find an answer. It doesn't mean it's not there, I might have overlooked it. This thread applies to a 2016 Plum Crazy.

I understand the wash and clay bar application. It gets a little foggy in the wax and sealant application.

1. If I use a dedicated wax and a dedicated sealant do these products need to be applied with a DA polisher?

2. If I use a wax/sealant combo do I need to use a dedicated wax prior to the wax/sealant combo application? Do I need to use a DA polisher?

3. Do I need to use a detail spray after example one or two?

4. Do I need to use different types of Micro Fiber clothes and applicator pads for the entire procedure, wash to detail spray. Auto Geek sells at least ten different typed of Micro Fiber clothes and applicator pads.

I have narrowed down my products to Zanos and/or Meguiars.

I have never detailed a vehicle to this extent. I'll detail Mrs. Bee's car first. HaHa

Please, Jedi Master, I need help.

Thanks,

Mike

·
What's Old is New Again!
37,784 Posts
1. No, but it works best. IMO. Also, DO NOT hand wax or seal in circular motions. This can cause swirls.

2. Same as 1.

3. No. Detail Spray is used as a touch up after Sealing or Waxing. And mainly after driving, before shows.

4. My experience, use the softest MF towels you can find. This usually precludes to use of the 25 packs bought at Wally World or Costco. I use the Single Sided Soft or the Double Sided Soft towels from Adam's Polish. Expensive, but I think worth it. You can use the standard type towels on trim and under hood. Make sure you keep checking your towels for dirt and grime. If in doubt, use another. To clean MF, I use a diluted Simple Green mixture to presoak them and wash them with regular laundry soap. NO Fabric Softener.

Applicator pads, use what is recommended for the job. I use different foam pads for polish, wax, sealant and glaze. Auto Geek should not steer you wrong.

Good Luck!!

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. No, but it works best. IMO. Also, DO NOT hand wax or seal in circular motions. This can cause swirls.

2. Same as 1.

3. No. Detail Spray is used as a touch up after Sealing or Waxing. And mainly after driving, before shows.

4. My experience, use the softest MF towels you can find. This usually precludes to use of the 25 packs bought at Wally World or Costco. I use the Single Sided Soft or the Double Sided Soft towels from Adam's Polish. Expensive, but I think worth it. You can use the standard type towels on trim and under hood. Make sure you keep checking your towels for dirt and grime. If in doubt, use another. To clean MF, I use a diluted Simple Green mixture to presoak them and wash them with regular laundry soap. NO Fabric Softener.

Applicator pads, use what is recommended for the job. I use different foam pads for polish, wax, sealant and glaze. Auto Geek should not steer you wrong.

Good Luck!!
Thank you very much, as for the DA polisher, yes or no?

·
What's Old is New Again!
37,784 Posts
Thank you very much, as for the DA polisher, yes or no?
I use a Porter Cable, as does Betty. We both love 'em. I also use Adam's Polishes Pads.

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
What's Old is New Again!
37,784 Posts
Bee, beware of doing extensive work on your paint, it may be soft from the factory. Just try soapy shampoo washes first.

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bee, beware of doing extensive work on your paint, it may be soft from the factory. Just try soapy shampoo washes first.
I plan on taking it easy until I feel comfortable. I might do everything by hand first. I'll probable begin in four to six weeks. I'll do Mrs. Bee's car first.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
51,157 Posts
You should not need a DA for a new car, I also doubt you will need clay bar as you are getting you car right after delivery from Mfg.I would have a clay bar ready and try a small section if it is clean afterwards then I would go right to sealant or wax. If you go with Zaino sealant no need for a DA until the paint on the car needs correction.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,576 Posts
Corbin is giving good advice there! He knows a lot about taking care of the paint. One thing I haven't done is wax with the polisher. I use it only for the polishing step. You sure can wax with it though. I just find it easier to wax by hand. Do as Dan said above. I like to put the wax in the small nooks, etc., and it just seems easier by hand. Corbin can chime in on that one.
Also, Corbin is right about not hurrying to use a D/A polisher. Not necessary yet if you don't have scratches in the paint. The same with the clay bar. No need to hurry that unless there are contaminates in the paint. Good luck!!

·
Administrator
51,157 Posts
Yup on the by hand, the Zaino sealant has to be applied by hand. I also do wax by hand when I do wax but that is personal preference.

Reactions: Bee Keeper 16

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should not need a DA for a new car, I also doubt you will need clay bar as you are getting you car right after delivery from Mfg.I would have a clay bar ready and try a small section if it is clean afterwards then I would go right to sealant or wax. If you go with Zaino sealant no need for a DA until the paint on the car needs correction.
Great advice.

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The reason I was considering a clay bar, I read a post by Big Snake from several years ago stating this was one of the steps in detailing a new car. I can't recall is he was implying a new car for you or a brand new car.

·
Administrator
51,157 Posts
The reason I was considering a clay bar, I read a post by Big Snake from several years ago stating this was one of the steps in detailing a new car. I can't recall is he was implying a new car for you or a brand new car.
I imagine it was a general statement,but probably ment for cars that have been exposed to the elements for some time.

·
Administrator
51,157 Posts
Although it is not uncommon for these cars to have rail dust and good clay barring should remove it. So just look at the car closely and if it has rail dust then clay it.

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Although it is not uncommon for these cars to have rail dust and good clay barring should remove it. So just look at the car closely and if it has rail dust then clay it.
Rail Dust?

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tiny specks of rust that land on the car while traveling on the rail cars from the factory.My Challenger had none but the Charger had a bunch.
Wow, talk about abrasive.

·
Premium Member
12,281 Posts
Just one thing keep your clay bar away from your tape strips if you is going to have them. Please ask me how I know... OMG what a PITA to get the clay bar off the edges of the tape strips. I have not used the DA on the Chally yet, but I have used it on my wifes cars which are DD and see alot of use and gunk on them.

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just one thing keep your clay bar away from your tape strips if you is going to have them. Please ask me how I know... OMG what a PITA to get the clay bar off the edges of the tape strips. I have not used the DA on the Chally yet, but I have used it on my wifes cars which are DD and see alot of use and gunk on them.
It makes good sense. And no Iam not going to ask. I don't want you to relive the nightmare.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
I've always had good luck with Meguiar's products (wax, leather conditioner, clay bar, spray wax, etc). I washed my car when I first got it, applied a coat of Meguiar's synthetic wax, used some microfiber towels to rub it off, then applied a coat of Lucas Slick Mist over top of that (stuff smells really cool too!). Stuff just rolls right off the paint now, nice and smooth.

I clay barred my old R/T for the first time after owning it about 3 years. It was daily driven so it pulled a lot of stuff off the paint, really restored the original factory shine to it. But on a newer car that rarely sees any rain and never sees any snow I don't think a clay bar would really pull much off the paint. I'm sure it would get something, but for all the work involved I don't know if it'd be worth it. Depends on how much time you want to spend detailing it I guess.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts