Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Today I fitted a set of paddle shifters to my 2014 SXT base :)

They work great. I'm not sure if this is a mod that interests many. If it does, I can do a little write up on it.

Andy

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We love pics.
I'll post some tomorrow, it's using an OEM steering wheel with the shifters fitted, so it doesn't look anything special.

They do work great though, I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it, but the wiring diagram helped a lot.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So here is a picture of the finished article.

To start with, you need to make sure the battery negative lead is unplugged, as you will be removing the air bag.

I was lucky enough to be able to get hold of an OEM wheel on ebay.

I also purchased this wireless paddle shifer kit.

The sending unit is placed inside the top of the steering wheel.
It has the following connections.

Positive(+): This is tapped into the purple wire on the steering wheel harness.
Negative(-): This is tapped into the white/yellow wire on the steering wheel harness

There is also a "PU", "PD" and two ground connections. If you have the SRT steering wheel or have a used steering wheel with the harness fitted, you will see that the paddle shifter wires are integrated into the same 4 wire connector as the rear steering wheel buttons.

On your original harness, the rear steering wheel connectors are just 2 wire connectors, as there are no paddle shifters connected.

I cut the 2 wire connector off and soldered the rear control wires onto the 4 wire connector, these are the red and dark brown wires. This leaves the paddle shifter wires exposed, which is fine. They are the orange and black/blue wires.

With the exposed wires, you need to connect them to the sending unit. The Paddle Up orange wire to "PU" and the ground the ground connector.

You will need to do the same for the other side.

You will need to do this for both sides.

After you have done that and are happy with the connections, you can go ahead and put the steering wheel back together.

Now for the receiving unit.

It has a little switch, you need to switch it to the 2008-2012 setting.

The receiver already has the wires fitted.

The Positive (+) and Negative (-) need to be connected to the 12v socket.

The blue and yellow wire needs to be connected to the yellow wire at the rear of the shifter (you will need to remove the top center console trim to access this).

Once you are happy that everything is connected, you can put it all back together and reconnect the battery negative lead.

The sender and the receiver will only power up when the ignition is on. It works the same way as the as the manual shift works, you must have it in "D" before you can use the paddles.

Apologies that this write up isn't the best, I can answer any questions for you though. This is one of my favorite mods. Like I said above, I wasn't sure it could be done, but its actually not that difficult to do.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Awesome! I would love to add paddle shifters to my SXT!

Do you have a part number for the steering wheel and paddle shift kit?

Thanks

brian

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
you certainly did a great job on the install...and on the write up. Reps for that.

myself personally...I'm not a real big fan of the paddle shifters myself. My challenger doesn't have them and at first I thought I missed out...but my new TL has them and I never use them. Guess because I learned to drive in a standard I've always been used to driving with one hand on the wheel.

Looks awesome though....hope you enjoy them

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! I would love to add paddle shifters to my SXT!

Do you have a part number for the steering wheel and paddle shift kit?

Thanks

brian
Hi Brian,

This is the site I got the kit off: http://lxcs.weebly.com/paddle-shifter-support.html Just email the guy, he sells them for $160.

I'm not sure of the part number for the steering wheel, as I got it from ebay. It is in the region of around $550 new though, so I would try and loo around for a use one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you certainly did a great job on the install...and on the write up. Reps for that.

myself personally...I'm not a real big fan of the paddle shifters myself. My challenger doesn't have them and at first I thought I missed out...but my new TL has them and I never use them. Guess because I learned to drive in a standard I've always been used to driving with one hand on the wheel.

Looks awesome though....hope you enjoy them
Thanks, it was more of an experiment really, to see if I could get it to work. This is the first auto car I've ever owned, to be honest I much prefer the manual. I've just been offered a job at my local Dodge dealer, so hopefully I will be able to exchange mine for a 2015 at a nice price :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts