Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long back story to get the full understanding, so please bear with me. :4-dontknow:

Back at the beginning of December I had to head out of town during a bad windstorm because my father had just had a stroke and was in the hospital. I had just got out of town when I hit a 95 mph gust of wind that was carrying sand, rocks, sticks, etc. When the Mojave Desert gets a wind storm, it really gets a wind storm. An hour later I stopped in Mojave to survey the damage, and what I saw made me want to cry. The front of my Pitch Black Challenger looked more flat black, gray in some spots, shiny metal in others. The windshield was toast, as were the headlights. Adding insult to injury, the highway was closed through the Tehachapi Pass because of snow, I couldn't get to the hosptial and see my dad anyway. :shakehead:

Fast forward a couple weeks and my car is at a shop that GEICO works with getting the estimate done. Total repaint, glass all the way around, re tint the new glass with custom tint, new upper and lower grills, new A/C Condenser (it was beat to hell), re charge the A/C system after replace, remove the radiator and clean all the sand from between the veins, re fill the coolant, new badges, new headlights, new headlight bezels, new fog lights. $8573.00 was the estimated cost, GEICO had a fit but still cut me a check.

I was finally able to drop my Challenger off on Tuesday, January 14th. I was told it would be about a month before it would be done. On the February 11th, exactly four weeks later, the shop called to ask me if I wanted a shaded or a clear windshield because they were ordering it that afternoon. I asked what the progress on my car was, and I was informed that it was in the process of being repainted "as we speak," and that it "should" be done by the 21st (this Friday).

So as of today my Challenger has been in the shop for five weeks, and may be in there for a few more days. The shop doesn't work weekends, and they took MLK and Presidents Day off (in fact, all the shops in town did). This still seems like it is bordering on a long time to me. What do you all think?

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
I'm actually a little surprised you had it covered....I was under the thought that insurance wouldn't cover mother nature events. so that's a good thing.

waiting always sucks though...so I guess as long as she comes back 100%, the extra time will be worth it.

PS....how's your dad?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm actually a little surprised you had it covered....I was under the thought that insurance wouldn't cover mother nature events. so that's a good thing.

waiting always sucks though...so I guess as long as she comes back 100%, the extra time will be worth it.

PS....how's your dad?
Dad is actually doing fairly well. My brother and I moved him here, and we have been taking care of him. He is about 90% ready to take care of himself, with us checking on him a few times a week. I have his car and he is going nuts without it, especially since he learned that he can still legally drive.

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
I'm happy your Dad is doing better but it sux that you have to be without your car this long. I guess no matter where you live Mother Nature can unleash her wrath - it's just different depending on where you live at....
For the amount of work that has to be done I don't think it's taken an overly outragous amount of time. As long as she's good as new it'll be worth the wait.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm happy your Dad is doing better but it sux that you have to be without your car this long. I guess no matter where you live Mother Nature can unleash her wrath - it's just different depending on where you live at....
For the amount of work that has to be done I don't think it's taken an overly outragous amount of time. As long as she's good as new it'll be worth the wait.
Yeah we don't get much rain, and it only snows about an inch every few years. However we have hellacious hurricane force winds, and we get them multiple times a year. Not to mention our summers of 110-120 degrees in the shade. Makes me wish my apartment had a garage, or at least a car port. We even have a wind advisory this week, Northwest to west winds 30 to 35 mph with gusts to 50 mph. This is normal wind for us.
:smiledown:
http://www.wunderground.com/US/CA/098.html#WND

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
I had an issue about a year and a half ago....I made the stupid decision to trust a shady guy paint Flat Black Ralley stripes up my hood and down the deck lid. Needless to say it was a total FAIL!!!! Long story short, he paid another shop to repaint my hood and trunk....took 2 months...I kid you not. I was INSANE!!!!!

Hopefully it will be done this week and you will have your baby back good as new. Look it over thoroughly....Pitch Black is a tough one to re-paint.
Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Believe . . . . . . just believe!
6,068 Posts
I was in Palm Springs and Palm Desert for this storm, January 21, 2012. I would imagine because I was in the city the sand wasn't as bad as it could have been but I still have a lot of damage to the windshield and paint. http://www.kesq.com/Damaging-Wind-Storm-Blows-Into-Palm-Springs/-/233230/11693664/-/5y9503z/-/index.html I should have turned it in to the insurance company but I figured because it was hard to see they wouldn't cover it.
I'm glad to hear you're getting it repaired. Keep us posted as to how the shop did.

You going to Spring Fest?

·
Believe . . . . . . just believe!
6,068 Posts
Palm Springs is about four or five hours South of me, but it's the same type of desert environment. Please forgive my ignorance, but what is Spring Fest?
Spring Fest is the premiere, modern Mopar gathering for the West Coast. This thread will help, it's somewhat long but easy reading, http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=98647

If you're interested in joining us, pm me and I'll send you the registration info.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The shop time does not sound unreasonable for a repaint. A body shops revenue relies on volume work that can be completed in a few days. A repaint will take a lot longer to prep so they work it in when time is available.

The reality shows make it look like an overnight job, which is not realistic.

I hit a deer with my Cayenne that took out every plastic part in the front end, no sheet metal damage. It took 3 weeks to repair because of ???

The most important thing is the job is done properly and looks better than new.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Good luck with the body shop, hope it gets fixed exactly how you want it! I think we've all been there at some point with our cars, so we feel your pain! Hope you get your baby back soon :smileup:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Back at the body and paint shop for a third round, because it is still full of holograms, swirls, and hazy spots. They basically hit the paint with a wool pad on a rotary buffer....and that was it. They are not fixing the bad finish on it, and I have NO confidence in them to get it done this time around. I had to take it back, because they told the GEICO adjuster that they would fix it this time. GEICO adjuster told me that if they don't/won't/can't fix my Challenger paint, that I will be taking it to a shop he knows can do the work and they will be charging the current shop.

I had to drive two hours down to the adjuster because there is no adjuster for my area for him to look at my car so he knew I wasn't lying....GEICO contracts with the shop I'm working with, to do the inspection and estimates of damage. Fox guarding hen house. :shakehead:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, after this non fix (they are just going to wax it) I will have to contact the GEICO adjuster and go from there. The GEICO adjuster basically said that I have to take it back this last time (today), because they swore they would fix it this time, and GEICO has already paid them.

I know they won't fix it today, I'm just giving them enough rope to hang themselves. After this, I will have to take it out of town to a shop in Lancaster/Palmdale area, which is two hours away, and have them buff and polish everything out.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
That sucks dude. I agree take it somewhere else to have it fixed by a trained professional. And while your pissed off, submit their company to the BBB.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
That's a bad deal. I've dealt with classic cars a little bit in the past and it can be tough to get a good paint job. Black is a tough color to work with. A lot of shops can't paint a car well enough to make someone happy that owns a car like we do. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
That is very frustrating news to hear :shakehead:

I'm sure by this point you are incredibly fed up with all of it, really hope you can get your car back to a point where you are proud of looking at it! Hopefully soon you can share some pics of the car when it's fixed, and correctly! :smileup:

Reps for fighting the good fight and staying strong, hang in there bub! :rep:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.