Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a while ago about a member fixing the light tick at idle with slightly longer pushrods.
Does anyone here have the make, measurements, or part number for the aftermarket puchrods?
This is something that I want to address when I get time.
As of right now mine only ticks lightly until it gets warmed up, but lately has started ticking really bad on cold start until up to operating temp.

·
Premium Member
9,085 Posts
I read a while ago about a member fixing the light tick at idle with slightly longer pushrods.
Does anyone here have the make, measurements, or part number for the aftermarket puchrods?
This is something that I want to address when I get time.
As of right now mine only ticks lightly until it gets warmed up, but lately has started ticking really bad on cold start until up to operating temp.
Everyone tends to lump all the Hemi ticks into one catagory...has I have said many times...this is just not the case and your description is a perfect example. The light tic you have been having can almost surely be cured by the slightly longer pushrods....but you will have to tear it down and do some machine shop type measuring to find out which one or ones need the longer rods...and exactly how much longer...and then order custom rods has needed. The new cold start tic you describe will not be helped by this however and is the product of either one bunch of lifters going bad {4 to a set???} or an oil starvation problem due to the oil you are useing or other worse engine type problems such has a partialy blocked oil pick-up screen...oil pump wearing out...or partialy blocked oil passage somewhere in the casting of the engine or head(s).

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,771 Posts
might be easier to get a set of adjustable rocker arms and take up the slack that way.
I should have clarified: the louder (new) cold start tick goes away within 5 seconds, i think it's caused by slack in the lifters until the oil pressure comes up.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I like simple solutions sometimes the simplest things are overlooked.

1. Do you have enough oil in the block?
2. Do you have a quality oil filter?

I ran into the same issue and found out I had two issues. The oil filter with paper media was rounding 7000 miles and it was colapsing on itself. The other was I was about a quart low. I did a simple oil change and spent more than 7.00 for a filter and noise issues are 100% eliminated.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree sometimes the simple things are overlooked. I use Mobil 1 or a similar quality filter and run full synthetic oil every 6-7k miles.
I check the catch can every couple of weeks and check the oil every Friday morning.

The event that made me really notice the ticking is when I had the wife moving the car. I had loaded a tune adjustment into it recently and when it fired up the engine revved up to about 1600 rpms, and for approximately 2-3 seconds I could hear lots of ticking until the oil pressure came up and it quieten down.

I don't think it's a pressure issue, but to be sure I'll datalog when I drive it again (on Fridays usually) and see what the reported oil pressure is.

I don't think I'll be doing the adjustable rockers either, they are priced waay up there and require the use of solid lifters.
Might be easier to change the pushrods for slightly longer ones. If I use a feeler guage and see what the tolerance is I should be able to figure out the right length. if I was will to pull the heads I could probably have them milled slightly to achieve the same results - tighter tolerances in the valve train.

One thing that gives me a little comfort is that some hemi's have well over 100k on them and have been ticking since day 1. So it's not a destructive problem, just annoying.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts