Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Flat tire

13K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  TheOldGuy 
#1 ·
Driving to work on thursday(4:45am) about half way there my Tire pressure Monitor chimes and shows the left rear tire at 26 and falling rapidly. I pulled over to the shoulder of the freeway and when I stoped the tire was showing 10psi, I sat and watched it drop to 0 in about 5 seconds. I get out and sure enough FLAT. I can't see anything obvious. So I get my pump out and try to inflate the tire, As the sealant flows in, the tire gets up to about 12 psi but when I turned the pump off it went right back down. I had depleted the sealant and tried just air but it would not pump up at all. Great, I have owned the car for 10 days and this happens.
I then called the Dodge roadside assitance and they dispatched a flatbed and he loads up my car and takes it to the nearest dealer, it's now about 6am, they don't open till 8. I sit there and wait, when they do open I tell them what happend. Of course the tires are not covered so I have to shell out 300 bucks for a new tire and mounting. They don't have one in stock so it needs to be ordered, won't be there until 12-1:00. So they give me a ride home to wait, but won't pick me up to get the car when it's done. Oh well a one way ride is better than none.
They call at 2:30 and tell me the car is ready, I have my wife leave the office early to take me there because they close at 5 and won't wait for me. We get there and I check out the car, IT'S THE WRONG F-ING TIRE!! The put on v(149mph) rated tire not a Y(186mph) like it should have. I'm upset, missed a day of work and now I'll have to come back tomorrow and miss more work.
So I bring my car in first thing in the morning, they get it done around 1pm. The right tire this time. Only good news is they gave me a certificate for a free oil change.
I ordered a replacement canister for my pump, $68!! What a rip off. For now on I'm just going to carry a couple cans of fix-a-flat in the trunk.
I saw the tire that came off, it had a perfect circle punched out of the middle of the tread, must have run over a bolt or rebar,.. or something??

See less See more
#34 ·
Actually, you can use a 1.5" hole saw on the sidewall of a tire and a Blow-out patch kit will fix it right up. Tire pressure with the patch vulcanized to the sidewall is limited to 20 PSI. The tire at that point is worthless, but you can get to a place where you can get a new tire. Something that needs to be considered when changing a tire is that you must be on level ground. There are horrendous statistics on injuries and death resulting from roadside tire changes. A blow-out patch kit can be done far off the shoulder in a somewhat 'safer' area.
All this is moot of course if the tire pops off the rim and loses the bead seal.
Either way... getting a flat on a highway sucks!

-John

#36 ·
No Kidding! Last few years I've bought tires for whatever vehicle, My Jeep, pickup, Challenger, "Gotta get it from the warehouse dude." is usually the answer. And this is a really big tire store. One would think with the proliferation of performance cars on the road, they would have them readily available. :mad:
But they sure do have mountains of tires right in the store for the Asian buzz bombs.

-John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.