Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back Exhaust System 2015-2016 Dodge Challenger SXT
Part #817737

Exterior:

Interior:

Test Vehicle:

2015 Dodge Challenger SXT

Application:
2015-2016 Dodge Challenger SXT with 3.6L V6 Engine

Features:
Flowmaster's American Thunder Cat-back exhaust system for the 2015-2016 Dodge Challenger SXT is perfect for the person looking for a moderate exterior sound level while maintaining a mild interior sound with all of the performance benefits that you would expect from Flowmaster. This bolt on 409S stainless steel system for the 3.6L V6 engine features 2.50'' mandrel bent tubing for maximum performance and includes a Scavenger X-pipe and dual Super 44 mufflers. The system is finished off with tuned resonators and stainless steel tips that exit within the rear bumper valence. The exhaust system is manufactured in the USA and is covered by Flowmaster's Lifetime Limited Warranty. Designed for an easy fit, this system includes all necessary parts and hardware for installation.

✓ Stainless Steel Construction
Dyno Tuned For Maximum Performance
✓ Patented Delta Flow Technology
✓ Made in the USA
Premium Flowmaster quality

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am very interested in this system for my 2015 sxt challenger. Coupled with a Mopar CAI, I believe it should produce that beautiful subtle rumble I'm looking for. I havent committed to the purchase yet, but I read the directions and although it is a bolt-on system they recommend welding the coupling joints. I'd really like to tackle the project myself as Im mechanically inclined and enjoy putting in the wrench/bonding time in with my car. Haven't seen any installation videos for, or by, the everyday guy yet for my model/year. Will the bolting be enough if done correctly? I'd rather not go to a shop when I can get it on ramps and enjoy a six pack and a good time working on my car like I did with the CAI. Any input would be great.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am very interested in this system for my 2015 sxt challenger. Coupled with a Mopar CAI, I believe it should produce that beautiful subtle rumble I'm looking for. I havent committed to the purchase yet, but I read the directions and although it is a bolt-on system they recommend welding the coupling joints. I'd really like to tackle the project myself as Im mechanically inclined and enjoy putting in the wrench/bonding time in with my car. Haven't seen any installation videos for, or by, the everyday guy yet for my model/year. Will the bolting be enough if done correctly? I'd rather not go to a shop when I can get it on ramps and enjoy a six pack and a good time working on my car like I did with the CAI. Any input would be great.
OVERDUE UPDATE: I purchased the the indicated catback in August and had a muffler shop install (weld) it for $75. I'm very pleased - it sounds deeper and louder, no drone, and no rice-can sound. Sorry, but I've tried several different ways to post vids, but no go.

For comparison, I think it sounds a lot like a stock R/T. Not bad for a v-8. Now, I've never heard the Solo in person, but have reviewed numerous vids of it. Here's how I would compare them: Like the FM, the Solo is deeper and louder than stock. I think the Solo may have a slight more rumble than the FM - the FM has very little rumble just like a stock R/T. At WOT, they both get loud and mean, but the Solo has a farting BRRRRR sound during shift changes at WOT which I don't care for (to me it kind of sounds ricey). But if the FM wasn't available, I'd get the Solo.

Funny you mentioned the Mopar CAI - I just bought it and will install it next week. I started to the other day, but couldn't get the stock IAT out. I think that CAI and the FM will work well together: the FM is 2.5" wide, compared to the stock 2.25" exhaust (same as the Solo), and the Mopar CAI should let it a little more air.

I haven't lost any performance with the FM. If anything my 0-60 times are a half a second faster. Not much, but I'm jut glad I didn't lose power like some systems do. My MPG has dropped - but that's because I've been flooring it constantly because it sounds so good!

·
Registered
8 Posts
OVERDUE UPDATE: I purchased the the indicated catback in August and had a muffler shop install (weld) it for $75. I'm very pleased - it sounds deeper and louder, no drone, and no rice-can sound. Sorry, but I've tried several different ways to post vids, but no go.

For comparison, I think it sounds a lot like a stock R/T. Not bad for a v-8. Now, I've never heard the Solo in person, but have reviewed numerous vids of it. Here's how I would compare them: Like the FM, the Solo is deeper and louder than stock. I think the Solo may have a slight more rumble than the FM - the FM has very little rumble just like a stock R/T. At WOT, they both get loud and mean, but the Solo has a farting BRRRRR sound during shift changes at WOT which I don't care for (to me it kind of sounds ricey). But if the FM wasn't available, I'd get the Solo.

Funny you mentioned the Mopar CAI - I just bought it and will install it next week. I started to the other day, but couldn't get the stock IAT out. I think that CAI and the FM will work well together: the FM is 2.5" wide, compared to the stock 2.25" exhaust (same as the Solo), and the Mopar CAI should let it a little more air.

I haven't lost any performance with the FM. If anything my 0-60 times are a half a second faster. Not much, but I'm jut glad I didn't lose power like some systems do. My MPG has dropped - but that's because I've been flooring it constantly because it sounds so good!
Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely sold on the FM Amercan Thunder. The price, sound, and stability are far above the rest.

Does the shop keep the scraps or did you hang on to them just in case?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely sold on the FM Amercan Thunder. The price, sound, and stability are far above the rest.

Does the shop keep the scraps or did you hang on to them just in case?
You should have the option to keep them - they're yours. However, I would specify that when you hire the shop to do the install. Definitely keep it to be on the safe side, but I seriously doubt you won't like the FM American Thunder. I kept my stock exhaust for about a week and then trough them out. Maybe I could have brought it to a scrap yard and got $10. for it, but just not worth the hassle.

Just for the record, I'm not knocking the Solo system. They make a great product, and they were my second choice -very close. But I am loving my FM!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Indeed I do. Paid $400 for it from a dodge dealer that was clearing out its overstock. It was 30 miles away, but worth it because my local one wanted $500+tax and I wanted to stick with Mopar. Installed it about 9 months ago.
Good - please help a brother out! I went to install that CAI last week and couldn't get the IAT sensor out. Instructions say to push or pull down on the tab and it will unlock - I can't find the tab they're talking about...

Oh yea - you should also do the Hellcat headlight mod: pop out the plastic faux inner headlight "lens" and run a 3" tube into the square opening of the CAI heat shield box. This will allow you to get even more fresh air in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good - please help a brother out! I went to install that CAI last week and couldn't get the IAT sensor out. Instructions say to push or pull down on the tab and it will unlock - I can't find the tab they're talking about...

Oh yea - you should also do the Hellcat headlight mod: pop out the plastic faux inner headlight "lens" and run a 3" tube into the square opening of the CAI heat shield box. This will allow you to get even more fresh air in.
I gotcha. Lemme just dig out the old air tube and peek at it to jog my memory on what it took to get it out. Ill even push the air sensor back into it to recreate the process and get back to you. Promise I will reply when I venture down to the basement and locate it. Pictures for help n such.

·
Registered
283 Posts

I'm meant to write "not bad for a V6".

·
Registered
283 Posts
I gotcha. Lemme just dig out the old air tube and peek at it to jog my memory on what it took to get it out. Ill even push the air sensor back into it to recreate the process and get back to you. Promise I will reply when I venture down to the basement and locate it. Pictures for help n such.
I installed the Mopar CAI and have had it in for almost three weeks. It did add a little to the sound - slightly deeper and louder.

MPG: can't say if it's any better since I've been flooring it more since the beginning of the year :D.

POWER: besides the sound, it certainly FEELS like it has a little more power. But it doesn't. After the FM install and before the CAI install, my best times were 5.8 seconds for 0-60....and after the CAI install I have the same times. BTW, in order to get 5.8, I have to be alone in the car, it has to have no more than a quarter tank of gas, and it has to be 68 degrees or lower outside.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I installed the Mopar CAI and have had it in for almost three weeks. It did add a little to the sound - slightly deeper and louder.

MPG: can't say if it's any better since I've been flooring it more since the beginning of the year :D.

POWER: besides the sound, it certainly FEELS like it has a little more power. But it doesn't. After the FM install and before the CAI install, my best times were 5.8 seconds for 0-60....and after the CAI install I have the same times. BTW, in order to get 5.8, I have to be alone in the car, it has to have no more than a quarter tank of gas, and it has to be 68 degrees or lower outside.
Nice man, glad to here that it couples well with the FM exhaust for sound. I never expected to gain anything out of my Cai aside from noise and eye candy, but my 0-60 stayed at 5.6 before and after, just sounds better doing it. Haha

And I'm in the car alone as well, at only 175lbs and with only a few gallons in the tank. Gasoline weighs about 6 lbs a gallon, so with an 18.5 gallon tank, that's a lot of extra weight to haul on a speed test at even half. No idea why anyone would ever run their 0-60 on full. I'd imagine that's where the people get their 6.0+ numbers.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Nice man, glad to here that it couples well with the FM exhaust for sound. I never expected to gain anything out of my Cai aside from noise and eye candy, but my 0-60 stayed at 5.6 before and after, just sounds better doing it. Haha

And I'm in the car alone as well, at only 175lbs and with only a few gallons in the tank. Gasoline weighs about 6 lbs a gallon, so with an 18.5 gallon tank, that's a lot of extra weight to haul on a speed test at even half. No idea why anyone would ever run their 0-60 on full. I'd imagine that's where the people get their 6.0+ numbers.
You're getting 5.6? Besides the CAI, what other mods do you have? Heck, I weigh less than you! lol

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think this Flowmaster catback and the Solo catback are the best options for the 2015+ 3.6L engines for under $900. Obviously I prefer the FM system. But, if I were to spend more, I'd look into the Zoomers / Speedlogix catback ($1,299.). I've only found a few short vids of it, but it sure sounds good! Anyone hear the Zoomers on an SXT in person?

http://www.zoomersexhaust.com/product-p/z-c019.htm

·
Registered
8 Posts
You're getting 5.6? Besides the CAI, what other mods do you have? Heck, I weigh less than you! lol
CAI and slight Hellcat ram air mod, fuel light on (for minimal fuel/weight), ditch the spare tire + jack (for the run), ditch the large trunk panel that covers the spare (for the run), ditch any and all junk you might have in the car, ditch the floor mats besides driver, run your 0-60 in optimal 40-50 degree Boston air on a straight public road in the fall, land consistent 5.6's due to weight reduction and optimal conditions, smile that you got away with it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think this Flowmaster catback and the Solo catback are the best options for the 2015+ 3.6L engines for under $900. Obviously I prefer the FM system. But, if I were to spend more, I'd look into the Zoomers / Speedlogix catback ($1,299.). I've only found a few short vids of it, but it sure sounds good! Anyone hear the Zoomers on an SXT in person?

http://www.zoomersexhaust.com/product-p/z-c019.htm
Glad to hear you like the Flowmaster catbacks!!!! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Bob Payne
[email protected]
(707) 544-4761 extension 441

·
Registered
283 Posts
So last night I listened again to the few vids I could find of the SL/Zoomers catback for the 3.6L...in one the system sounded deep, loud, and very rumbly. But in the rest of the vids, it just sounded too loud and obnoxious. This morning when I started up my ride? Yea, I'll stick with the Flowmaster!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts