Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know their are alot of young guys who bought Challengers, however I'm going to address the elders here and ask you what your fondest memory is of back in the day, which for me is one reason I bought this car, brings back tons of memories.
In Chicago, Skips drive in was the hottest place to be with your car. I was 18, had a 69 Chevelle, 396, bored to 427, solid lifters, headers, cam, 410 rear end, and the hot limited production 400 trans. On the weekends we would wait in line on North ave just to get in, if you were lucky enough to find a spot, you got to order some food, sit back and witness one of the greatest most spectacular car shows known to man. My buddy had a 68 GTX 440 it was the only car I remember that could pop the front end off the ground. But the greatest memory was when a 68 charger offered $50 to race me. Their was a stretch of road that we used to race, and strange as it seems no one ever got a ticket. I remember being at the line with the charger who had a 440 six pack. and with our friend the timer a block ahead of us with a flashlight, my heart pumped up as the light flashed down to 5 our signal to blast off. My tires took a little, took some time to stop spining, and we were neck to neck off the line, as the engines roared, and I saw my tech red line, (one thing about these 400 tranny's if you dont know about them, they could shift faster than any manual around) anyway, when my car finally borke into second it was like a rocket launch, tires broke loose again. and by the time I got to third gear, I had an easy 3 cars on the charger. when I collected my $50 the guy told me "dude, I saw flames coming from under your car" I Just smiled, and said "yeah, pretty cool eh?" man those were the days

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
my 2nd car at the age of 18 was a '71 Chevelle,Red with a black vinyl top and black rallye stripes on the hood and trunk,had a lot of good times in that car(fades off into blank far away stare)

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
The one that got me started on muscle...my very first car, a 1969 Camaro RS convertible painted in Corvette Bronze, cragars....awesome car....apparently someone else thought it was awesome too and it got stolen right out in front of my house!!

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,701 Posts
Thanks Turbomangt! I am also from the muscle car era. When I was a senior in high school my best girlfriend wouldn't date anyone unless they had a cool car. One guy she dated fixed up a 1959 Chevy Impala 2dr hrdtop. It was beautiful. Black with red interior, man could that thing go!! In 1968 he bought a beautiful new green Camaro. He got a little carried away and during a bad rain storm on graduation night, he totaled it!! What a shame, but he was ok. The girlfriend didn't have a muscle car, just a Pontiac StarChief. But did she know how to make that thing run!! Whenever we went to the next local town to cruise she would drive about 120 on a straight open highway. It is a miracle I am still alive!

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
I guess my best memory would be my '68 Torino GT fastback with the 390 4bbl & C6 'Cruise-O-matic' auto trans. Got it when I was 19. The car was white with the black 'C' stripes, and red interior. It had 54K original miles on it and was surprisingly super clean considering it had weathered 14 Wisconsin winters prior to being titled by me.....$700 bucks out of pocket, one weekend doing a break job and a carb rebuild put it back to road-worthy status......

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
My fondest memory....spinning the mains on a 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury III. I thought that was impossible on a 383 lol. Guess not.

I'm sure the 4.33 rear end had a lot to do with that.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,848 Posts
Gotta say it wasn't a muscle car per se. Background, when I was 20, I had a '67 Ford Fairlane GTA. The car turned out to be a lemon with not lemon laws around. After the motor and trans started failing(no, not abuse), I went looking. Found a '69 Silver Blue Road Runner with a 4 speed. However, it was not to be as I needed a co-signer and Dad wouldn't do a Beeper.

Ended up with a '68 Plymouth Sport Fury with the Fasttop roof. 383, TF, and 4400 lbs. Pure Boat, but I started working on it. Best Memory was a guy in town had a 428 Torino CJ and always bragged it up. One Friday, I decided to test him out. 4 car lengths out of the hole and he couldn't catch me. :Racing: He said he spun too much and wanted 2/3. Second Run, same results. :woohoo: He didn't want any more after that.

Oh, all that weight, you pay a penalty in driveline parts. Over the life of the car, had 5 rear ends, 3 Transmissions and 3 driveshafts. Motor was still strong at 170K.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I remember the 20ish year old across the street from our house had a white '70 Duster new. He put different rims/wheels on it, jacked it up and had a very loud exhaust on it. You knew when he came home and left.

Unfortunately I never got a 'muscle car' per se. Everything I found was beat up beyond usable to get me through college. My first car, though, was a '71 Olds Delta 88 and it had a 455 V8 with 350 HP. It was a very heavy car but man did it move. We would take it, in the evenings, to downtown of our small town and we would drive 'the loop'. Tons of others would hang out and drive round and round. Buddies of mine would throw dollar bills at me (in 1982/83) to drag someone light to light. Most of the time I would win. I remember once checking the MPG going 100 miles going 45-55 MPH... I got 7 MPG with the AC off. I cannot imagine what it got in the city with me punching it light to light... LOL. It makes todays MPG of the Challenger SRT8 seem great.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
My first car was a 1972 Chevy Nova SS that I still have today. Its more of a muscle car now than it was back then, more of a cruiser back then. Raced it a lot on the street and at the dragstrip, had a great time in that car. Its still fun to bomb around in that car on a nice summer day.

One of my favorite muscle car memories from when I was a kid was in my uncle's 71 Maverick. He had a 302 with some stuff done to it, better cam, headwork, carb, headers, 3.73 gears, LOUD exhaust, haha! He came by and picked up my dad and I to go for a ride since he did some stuff to it. We went out on I-75 by our house, came to a dead stop in the right lane with no traffic behind us, then he just lit the tires up and nailed it and wound it out up to about 90-100 mph. It was awesome! It was so loud and cool! I was probably about 7-8 years old at the time sitting in the backseat. That was fun. One of my first early memories of muscle cars.

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
My fondest memory was my 72 454 4 speed Corvette . I was leaving work which had a driveway about a block long and I went down the driveway sideways in all 4 gears before I got to the end of it. The guards were cool and looked the other way but it was a moment talked about for the next 5 years.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I'm 50 years old, so I wasn't driving at the time they were new, but I did restore and own a couple. I bought a 70 Challenger convertible with a 383 4bbl. I bought it about 1988 and it had been sitting in a garage since 1976, and was in pretty rough shape. I had stripped out the interior and some of the exterior parts. We wanted to make sure it ran well and we got it running. I wanted to get the thing to the car wash and the interior was gone, so the first time I drove the car I was sitting on a concrete block, smiling like an idiot.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
It was early 1980's, I had a 1970 Challenger, she was 5'4" 110... oh nevermind, maybe if we were in the NHB I could recall one of my fondest memories.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Since others have mentioned their non-Mopar early cars I'll toss in mine.

In high school I had a buddy whose parents moved out of state and gave me a 62 Ford Falcon Futura 2-Door 3-on-the-tree with a massive 144 ci 6-cylinder that was on it's last legs. I bought a wrecked Mustang 289 from a guy at the NCO club where i worked. The Mustang had been accordioned by a drunk while parked outside a bar.

I was in Auto Shop at the time. We pulled the power trains out of both cars, the 289 dropped right in the Falcon, somehow got the electrical wired up, built a transmission mount, replaced the damaged auto transmission with a 3-speed from a junkyard, built the tranny hump out of sheet metal, and cut the rear fender wells out to allow G/H-sized 14" tires, little 13" A or B tires in front. Little thing ran like a bat out of hell in a straight line but forget cornering at speed. I couldn't get it safety inspected (legally). Had lots of fun times with my then girlfriend - and now my wife of 41 years. It had bucket seats with a console in the middle, we put a blanket on it so she could sit close to me - seat belts be damned!!

I joined the USAF after high school and sold it for $350 (1972 dollars). I heard the guy that bought it wrapped it around a telephone pole a few months later, he lived, the car didn't.

Bob

Reactions: jklotz10

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
9,919 Posts
My first car in high school (late 70's) was a 67 Pontiac GTO. My dad had promised to co-sign on the loan with the understanding that he had the final say on my purchase. We went out to a dealer's lot in late November 1977, and my eyes gravitated to the car of my dreams. A 1968 Firebird, primer gray and ready to be painted any color I wanted.

My dad was immediately suspicious and to my chagrin, the salesman decided to play up all of the Firebird's performance features. 0-60 times, horsepower, Holley quad bbl carb, performance lifters, Edelbrock racing manifolds, Thrush exhaust system. In short, a fast fast street rod with (in my dad's mind) a slew of tickets and high insurance premiums.

Forget it, he told me and the salesman in the same breath. Looking around the lot, he spied the GTO sitting in the back of the lot (the dealership had just accepted it as a trade). Midnight blue, all stock, the unassuming GTO appeared to my dad as a responsible looking vehicle. I was unfamiliar with the legacy of the GTO and to my eyes, it looked like a grocery getter better suited for mom than a high school kid buying his first car.

Give credit to the salesman, he played up the GTO's safety features and downplayed (hid) the car's performance qualities. My dad turned to me and told me this was the car we were getting. I made one last play for the Firebird but pops was firm. The "safe" car or no car. Reluctantly I agreed and we took GTO home.

The next day at school, I told a gearhead buddy about my purchase. He eyes widened when I told him about the GTO badge on the driver side grill. "Dude, you bought a GOAT?" I got a little hot, because I was sure that the association of a clunky looking Pontiac with a barnyard animal couldn't possibly be good thing. But my buddy told me about the power and racing history behind the GTO, I started to change my opinion of my purchase. My buddy stopped by the next day (Saturday) and we drove the Goat to an office park where we would have no traffic. Then my buddy put the GTO through it's paces, including a burnout which still stands out in my mind because of the fishtailing and smoke. I knew then I had a muscle car and (being a teen) thrashed that car into the ground over the next 5 years.

The sad part? I traded my Goat for a Honda Accord hatchback a few years later (I was credited with $800) and the dealer marked it for salvage auction. Today, a restored 1967 GTO will pull down $35k.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MOPARSD

to continue what you stated, I forgot to mention I paid $2100 for my Chevelle, ton of money back then, sold it 5 years later for $1100. I saw one almost identical for 65k recently .....who would have known

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
9,919 Posts
MOPARSD

to continue what you stated, I forgot to mention I paid $2100 for my Chevelle, ton of money back then, sold it 5 years later for $1100. I saw one almost identical for 65k recently .....who would have known
Yep. That's really close to what I paid for the GTO. $2200 or $2300. The part that kills me is they marked it for salvage, meaning they most likely auctioned it off to a crusher. The $800 trade in allowance was just to throw me a bone.

·
Registered
589 Posts
When i was a kid, we snuck into the local movie theater and saw vanashing point. I was sold on challengers from that day on. I was almost 16, working as a dishwasher and was explaining to a new buddy from the restaurant who was driving me bome, how i was working so i could buy a challenger for when i got my license in 6 months. He said, i have a buddy who is going into the service in a few months who has a challenger he is selling.....
Needless to say, we went by his house it was around midnight, but i saw his car and fell in love. Not sure why, but i have always been gay for challengers... I have had camaros, firebirds, a z28, a killer mustang, all great cars, but the challengers always made my knees a little week. I just love the damned things!

I bought the servicemans car a week before i got my license.. I paid 1000$ it was a 71 with 93000 miles, this was 1979. it was only a 318, but fast enough for me... Yeah, i always wanted a 340 but was happy and in love with that car. Some of my fondest memories were just driving around all night, listning to the Cars first album. On the 8 track.. Or burning out in the high school parking lot to bob segar's 'turn the page'

I got rid of the car around 4 1/2 years later, sold it to my cousin who totalled it. Man, i missed that car. It took about 30 years... But im back behind the wheel of another challenger. I am not parting with this on though.

To paraphrase Charlton Heston, they can have it when they can pry it from my cold dead hands...

Hopefully it will be a few years, so i get my moneys worth out of the lifetime warranty lol

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Never had anything other then chargers cudas and challengers back in the day, and have memories for all. my favorite was my 69 charger black with chrome mags, I loved that car.

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
I'm in the 50 yr old club, just missed the brand new muscle car days. But I was stationed at Tinker AFB in 1981, 19 years old and had a little money. So did a lot of other guys in the barracks, and there were a ton of muscle cars parked outside. One guy that we called Yoda had a 350 Vega, I had a 72 Charger SE, there were a bunch of Mustangs, Camaros, Trans Ams, you name it. Warm afternoons would usually have quite a few guys turning wrenches in the parking lot, or over at the small garage doing mods or some kind of overhaul.

When I was over in the Philippines, I wasn't as much into cars. However, I was talking to a guy one day who was washing a beautiful GTX. It was panted with a scene of a female robot and the car had "Mechanical Lady" lettered on it. It turned out that he had bought this car for 800 bucks. A GI had left the PI 5 or 7 years before and had left this car with a local family to hold for him until he could have it shipped back. The GI never contacted the family again so the guy I was talking to asked if he could buy the car from the family. They tried to contact the GI, but could not get in touch with him, despite trying for 6 months. This guy bought the car, and couldn't believe his good fortune...there was a 426 Hemi under the hood. That guy was born under the 13th astrological sign, the golden horseshoe.

·
12,992 Posts
I am for sure one of the elders here and i still remember the glory days VERY well.
my friend had a 426 Hemi powered 64 dodge coronet with 12 1/2 to 1 pop up pistons
and other extensive engine work and a B&M torqueflite . it also had an aluminum AFX front end and a 4.10
dana rear. there wasnt a Chevy or anything else that i saw on the street that stood
a chance against him. He chewed them all up and spat out there bones! What a sleeper!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts