Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
In Louisiana, at the time, you could start driving at 15, and in 1976 I had to drive the family station wagon a '71 Pontiac Grand Safari to high school. The car had a 455 Interceptor police engine and an auto transmission. It was fast, so my dad allowed me to drive his F-150 Super Cab with a 390, it was fast also. I drove the truck to school until I was a Senior then I got a '67 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 convertible with a 455 with 350 HP, nice car. Next "Muscle Car" I bought was a '78 Trans Am 400 with a 4 speed. Then I calmed down until 1996 when I was allowed to buy a '78 Corvette L-82 with a 4 speed. And after that, in 2010 I bought the Challenger.

·
Registered
202 Posts
In 1985 I was 17 and a senior in high school. A guy I worked with had a brother who was a gearhead. He rebuilt a 1973 Camaro z28 with a 350 cid v-8. He hooked up the engine, the exhaust and tricked the car out. I never wanted anything more in my life (until I saw the new challenger). I had to have it and outbid a girl we worked with for the machine. What I will never forget is the feeling of the deep vibration you felt throughout the car when you turned her on. The steering wheel would literally shake and the engine made the deepest purr when ideling. I had that car from May to August 1985 before I totaled her cruising at the Shore. Best summer of my life. I miss that car to this day. Since thaen I have been fortunate to own an 1988 Mustang GT, a 1993 Camaro and two Challengers. All great cars. But my first love and the car that ignited my passion for American muscle was that 1973 Camaro. I have been chasing the sound and feel of that vehicle for almost 30 years.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just a few years ago when I still had my 70 '440 Cuda.. Youngest memories was when I was growing up, we had a 70 Plymouth 440 GTX and a '66 Pontiac GTO with a 400/th400 combo..

Dad still has the GTX to this day, he was second owner and bought it in '72 before I was born..

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
54,461 Posts
My first car brings back the fondest memories, it was a 1970 Duster 340 4spd, it was inviolet, with a black interior, bucket seats no console. It had power steering and a am radio.It had 3.91 gears with a sure grip. It ran 13.9s to 14.0s pretty regularly. Plenty of surprised people when I beat them. I always bought Sunoco 260 for it.Had a lot of fun and did plenty of smoky burnouts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My best memory and my fondest. Has to be back in 1984 i had just got a job washing the inside of highway trailer's( big trucking company) I had my 1968 sst javelin in full grey primer at the time. Keystone 5 spoke's mag's, back end lifted so she sat really nice,
My 68 came with a V8 290. but under the hood was my buddy's 73 amx 360 30 over big cam, high rise intake, 727 trans 2600 high stall 373 possi rear axle . I was in a different part of the building from most of the other people, What i did not know was that my 68 was the shop talk for most the morning. So lunch come's and i head over to my car a few guys are out looking at her. I say hello shake hand's First few min are good car talk . Then one guy named Marcel say's AMC all make's of crap. I laugh it off he then say's didn't AMC make washing machine's too . I say Your thinking of Maytag and walk off. afternoon coffee break the fun start's Marcel now calls me the Maytag washing machine. I tell him he just met the fastest washing machine ever. He say's to bad your AMc is not, Well i had enough of this clown tell him when he get's a driver license's come talk to me . He then tell's me he has a 78 blazer 454 drag truck at home. we now have 6 or so guys standing around watching He Tell's everyone how his blazer will roast my amc . I tell him bring your Blazer with you tomorrow and we would see. Well next day all i hear is how marcel is going to kick my amc butt. we work 3:30pm to 12:00 am, I hit the punch Clock head outside well dam if there is not 30 people out side . The road to the shop is about 5 block's long no other side road's just straight road. I do a small burn out Marcel smoke's the tire's, Erine has the flash lite in hand...Blink on go's the lite tire's screening throw it into 2nd hit 3rd My AMC blow's the door's off the Blazer. Over the next few day's i was asked what motor i had in my 1968 Sst. Made a few good friend's that nite some are still good buddy's to this day. I still have my 68

·
Registered
640 Posts
Best memory.....

The ones I am having now with this car..

Not sure if 40 makes me an 'old timer' or not...But with this being my first muscle car I can only say how great the last six months have been...

You can now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
9,969 Posts
Then one guy named Marcel say's AMC all make's of crap.
OK, the first problem I see here is that the guy is named Marcel. Not a name you typically associate with American Muscle. Mimes? Sure. Fire breathing gas gulping V8's? Not as much. :4-looney:

No offense intended to any members named Marcel!

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack, a8, BMR ST brace, JLT CC, K&N
15 Posts
In 1970 I was 17 years old and an older friend of our family visited us and had a Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" with a 454, dual Holley 4 bbl carbs with 4spd manual and a 4.11 rear. He and I rode around town on Saturday night and he got on it briskly a few times. I thought it was a nice car with great sounding exhaust. Then a guy reved on him at the light. On green he did full throttle through 3rd gear. It was just violent and I came close to screaming like a girl and pooing my pants. I was hooked forever and have driven muscle cars most of my life.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I have two, the first one is when I was 13, and my dad asked me to shuffle the cars around so he and mom could go to dinner one afternoon. My dad was HS buddies with the Olds dealer and we got a couple of nice loaners over the years. On this weekend it was a newish '69 Hurst Olds, which I had to move to get my dad's car out. Well, I went around the block in it, twice, about a mile total. Somehow, I never got busted for it. It was other than sitting next to my friend's dad in his station wagon, the first time I ever drove, and was for sure the first solo driving I ever did.

The second was when a neighbor brought home his '68 Charger R/T. Red, no dopey vinyl top, black interior. I was in love with that car. One day he came home from work and several of us went for rides in it. He took it to a nearby road, The Anthony Wayne Parkway, AKA "AW Trail" or just "The Trail". The section near our neighborhood was actually painted with a start and 1/4 mile finish line! He stopped at the start line, spun up the tires and ran it past the finish line under power. I would see that car and the blue Roadrunner that the guy across the street bought race quite a few times on The Trail at night. Racing was common on it back then and sometimes trailered cars ran. I wanted my dad to buy a Charger or Roadrunner/GTX so badly, but he bought a '68 Imperial instead, in an ugly bronze with, of course, a black vinyl top. He had the 440 in it hopped up and it was quick for what it was but it wasn't a B Body.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Mine was back in '73 when I had my '66 Malibu with the 327 and one night I came across another active Air Force personal, who was assigned to my squadron back in Riverside. She was from Ashland, KY and drove a really nice dark green '69 Dart GTS with the 340. Pretty even matched I thought as we took off racing along Perimeter Road just off base...surprised the SP's didn't bust us as we clocked over 110 mph that night. She just nosed me out but we sure had fun. If you'll reading this Carolyn..thanks for the memories.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts